Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MLB.TV premium now able to stream to TV via Roku device

MLB.TV premium now able to stream to TV via Roku device

http://www.roku.com/mlb-partner

I just ordered a roku to stream netflix movies and it will be here tomorrow. So I might go this route next year.

Roku and MLB.com — a great team

With Roku and MLB.TV Premium, you can now watch your favorite team no matter where you live. Catch live, out-of-market games on your TV screen with your MLB.TV Premium subscription and your Roku player and watch local market or other nationally televised games approximately 90 minutes after they end. Whether you’re a displaced fan wanting to enjoy your favorite team’s local broadcast or just a fan of baseball and want to keep up with what’s going on around the league, Roku, together with MLB.com, has got you covered. Using your MLB.TV Premium subscription, you can watch up to 100 games per week.
    If you’re not already familiar with MLB.TV Premium, check it out here. With MLB.com's special offer, enjoy all the action remaining in the season at the lowest price possible.
    If you already have your MLB.TV Premium subscription, what are you waiting for? The Roku digital video player will get you away from your laptop and put those glorious games right on your TV screen. Play, pause, rewind and fast-forward the game, as if you were watching on your DVR. Review that close call or once-in-a-lifetime grand slam over and over.
    For more information, visit: www.mlb.com/roku.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Re: MLB.TV premium now able to stream to TV via Roku device

This is great news! I was a very early adopter of the Roku box and until this year was a charter subscriber to MLB.TV. This might inspire me to resubscribe.
    /r/reds

Watching the away HD feed right now. Fantastic picture quality. And the ability to watch from the beginning, without a score reveal is a nice touch since I so rarely get off the train before 8pm.

I resubscribed and have checked out parts of three games this week. It's a real treat to watch the Reds in almost-HD without having to pay a fortune for EI and digital cable.

Thought I'd bump this. I bought a ROKU 3 about a month ago with the intention to try to do MLB-TV only and not Extra Innnings thru DirectTV.

Just tried it for the first time on an archived game from 2013. Mine is an ethernet connection. It take a few seconds but then the HD kicks in and looks darn good.

You have a choice of either teams broadcast and can listen to the radio guys instead of the TV guys if you want. One thing that struck me as a huge improvement over the computer version is that I can jump to any half inning of the game. I don't know if that will be available if you join a live game in progress.

I am sincerely hoping if you join a live game it starts at the beginning and gives you the option to jump to live action.

I just realized I did not test the fast forward. I hope you see the action as you fast forward like a DVR.

My only disappointment, was you can't do a picture-picture and watch 2 ballgames like you can on a computer. In fact if you look at the various capabilities all the cool stuff is available to computers and mobile devices and not the ROKU.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

You're killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

I just wish I could subscribe to MLB.TV so I could get rid of DirecTV.

I've had a Roku since it was introduced in 2008 and MLB.TV since it was introduced. I can answer your questions.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    You have a choice of either teams broadcast and can listen to the radio guys instead of the TV guys if you want. One thing that struck me as a huge improvement over the computer version is that I can jump to any half inning of the game. I don't know if that will be available if you join a live game in progress.
    Usually, the option to select audio streams is available. I haven't figured out why it isn't always available.

I am sincerely hoping if you join a live game it starts at the beginning and gives you the option to jump to live action.
    Yes, both options are available. After the game ends, it gets indexed and you can jump to a specific half-inning... except for the bottom of the 9th. If the game ended in 9, the Roku interface doesn't spoil the outcome by telling you whether there was a bottom of the 9th, because that provides a clue as to which team won.

I just realized I did not test the fast forward. I hope you see the action as you fast forward like a DVR.
    No, you don't. You scan forward blindly and the only indicator showing is time.

My only disappointment, was you can't do a picture-picture and watch 2 ballgames like you can on a computer. In fact if you look at the various capabilities all the cool stuff is available to computers and mobile devices and not the ROKU.
    Previous versions of the Roku didn't have enough horsepower to serve up 2 streams at a time. The Roku 3 was introduced during the last baseball season. It might have enough power to do multiple streams, so that limitation could change this year.

With each passing year, MLB.TV adds functionality to the Roku version of its service. I expect to see some capability this season that wasn't available in 2013.
    Last edited by Unassisted; 02-16-2014 at 05:30 PM. Reason: left out a couple of words
    /r/reds

Thanks Unassisted. My understanding is they don't make ROKU 3 versions of apps, so my guess is we are "stuck". Not much of a limitation.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Unblock-us.com allows you to avoid blackouts. $5/month and completely worth it.
    Pathei mathos...

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

I stopped watching cable TV over a year ago and I stream everything these days. I have a subscription to mlb.tv and can stream it through my PC or my Roku box. Definitely worth it.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

I use my BluRay player to stream but it doesn't get mlb.com - gonna have to spring for a Roku. Plus it gets way more channel options than my Blu Ray but I'll say I haven't missed cable AT ALL! Even with the more limited streaming thru my BluRay player. Plus, I save more than enough ditching cable to pay for mlb.com and still have savings!
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

I ditched my cable TV when they jacked my price by $60 per month, so now I don't get Fox Sports Ohio. I have a Roku streamer. I live in the Cincinnati area, so I won't be able to watch the Reds via MLB.tv correct?

I don't want to grow up Red Raindog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    I ditched my cable TV when they jacked my price by $60 per month, so now I don't get Fox Sports Ohio. I have a Roku streamer. I live in the Cincinnati area, so I won't be able to watch the Reds via MLB.tv correct?
    That is my experience here in northern Indiana -- I'm in Cincy viewing area so no Reds live games on mlbtv --- but I get them off of Dish
    The older I get - the better I was

and yes - I hate the Cardinals (Reds fan since 1958)

I miss Raisor

If you get a router that can go through a VPN, you can watch whatever games you want.

Stat geek...and proud

Roku rules for mlb.TV. I had a way better experience on Roku then I did on PS3. PS3 was choppy for me. Roku had an occasional dropout, but was usually solid.

Turn Off Ads?