Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Why the Cardinals are the best fans in baseball

Why the Cardinals are the best fans in baseball

Mark Sheldon twatted during the game that the fans at Busch stood and clapped when they showed Hal McCoy on the big screen at the game.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Why the Cardinals are the best fans in baseball

That's impressive.I wonder what Cubs fans would have done.Do they even have a big screen at Wrigley Field?

twatted, lol

Why does that make them the best? The nicest? Yes. The most knowledgeable? Maybe. But the best? I would say that the Cardinals have one of most sophisticated groups of supporters in baseball, but a great fan-base that does not make. Remember, fan is short for fanatic and no true fanatic EVER cheers the other team.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    Why does that make them the best? The nicest? Yes. The most knowledgeable? Maybe. But the best? I would say that the Cardinals have one of most sophisticated groups of supporters in baseball, but a great fan-base that does not make. Remember, fan is short for fanatic and no true fanatic EVER cheers the other team.
    I disagree, if this were true that makes the Cubs the best fan base in baseball. I think that speaks for itself. If you aren't knowledgeable you aren't a fan, you're just an idiot. Being a fanatic would make you knowledgeable about the area you're a fan of, not just an idiot who screams and yells and boos the other team.

Quote Originally Posted by mroby85 View Post
    I disagree, if this were true that makes the Cubs the best fan base in baseball. I think that speaks for itself. If you aren't knowledgeable you aren't a fan, you're just an idiot. Being a fanatic would make you knowledgeable about the area you're a fan of, not just an idiot who screams and yells and boos the other team.
    I think I might be in the minority, but I would rather fill a stadium with a bunch of screaming knuckleheads over a bunch of score-keepers or families. I like the idea that a stadium is not a comfortable place for the opposition to visit. Think LSU football or old Yankee Stadium during the playoffs.

and 40,000 of them had no idea who he was

Schnickelfritz

I noticed last night that the best fans in baseball were too busy during the late innings of the game performing The Wave.

It's easy to be a great fanbase when the front office is committed to winning season after season. I guess the question is, does the fanbase frenzy lead to front office committment, or is it the otherway around?

I do seem to remember watching games 3 and 4 of the 2004 World Series and wondering, "When are the famous Cardinal Fans going to live up to their reputation?" It was very quiet...

Quote Originally Posted by mlh1981 View Post
    It's easy to be a great fanbase when the front office is committed to winning season after season. I guess the question is, does the fanbase frenzy lead to front office committment, or is it the otherway around?
    Better yet, is this greatest fanbase still that great when they have down years? Waht about really, really bad years?
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

Cardinals fans have impressed me more than any stadium I've ever been to.

There hasn't been a close second.

They are the purest definition of what a city of fans of baseball should be like.

If another City supported their team half as much as the Cardinals are supported, they'd have nothing to be ashamed of.

The fans in St. Louis show up on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Wednesdays too. GABP looks like a ghost town early in the week. They are packed every night. That's one of the reasons they can afford a bigger payroll than the Reds and why they have been much more successful in recent years.

Quote Originally Posted by mlh1981 View Post
    In St. Louis' case, I think it's the fanbase frenzy that leads to the front office commitment. But, there's got to be something with the Civic Leaders and the uber-rich of the area involved with it, too. They seem committed to the team, also.

Cincinnati seemed to be that way for decades upon decades. That strike seemed to kill the relationship, plus Marge Schott killed 100's of 1000's of relationships with her Mike Brown-esque ways of running the team.

There's something wrong with the uber-rich of Cincinnati, the ones in power. The fans haven't changed, but they've been getting the shaft for decades now. You can only take so much of that, at least if you are mentally healthy, you walk away from it and never come back.

Turn Off Ads?