Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who are the september call ups?

Re: Who are the september call ups?

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    Based off this years numbers probably not but I still dont see a reason why you dont at least protect him.
    I'm willing enough to protect him. But decisions about protection always mean there's somebody else you're leaving exposed. It's also the case that the overwhelming interest in Rule 5 picking is in pitchers. So sometimes you take a calculated risk that a guy you like can perhaps be exposed because he's not that likely to get taken. So a couple questions I'd ask are: 1. How many teams are likely to take Valaika for a 25 man roster spot? 2. Of those teams, which are likely to be among the weaker ones, how many are likely to take a position guy over a pitcher?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Here are some candidates I came up with:

Kevin Barker
    He continues to produce in AAA, but is he worth keeping around?

Chris Valaika
    Could he be in the discussion for the Reds' 2010 shortstop?

Danny Dorn
    Has done very well for Louisville after a dreadful start.

Chris Heisey
    It's time to see how worthy he has been of the RZ hype.

Drew Stubbs
    The writing's on the wall.

Ramon Ramirez
    As the pitchers tire, they will need to spread the workload amongst the younger pitchers.

Sam LeCure
    Is his future as a starter or as a reliever?

Matt Maloney
    Deserved more of an opportunity earlier in the season.

Daryl Thompson, Jordan Smith, Dallas Buck
    Their innings have been limited due to injury.

Pedro Viola
    Dusty's been itching to see the guy ever since he lit up the radar gun in spring training.

Logan Ondrusek
    Is he the real deal or just a flash in the pan?

Ben Jukich
    Is he yet worthy of a 40-man roster spot?

Omitted:
    Yonder Alonso (should work on staying healthy)
    Juan Francisco (too raw)
    Travis Wood (needs to keep his innings down)
    Phil Valiquette (very little chance of helping the Reds in 2010)
    Enerio Del Rosario (see: Phil Valiquette)
    Sean Watson (still not ready to face MLB hitting)

Virtually everyone currently on the 40 man who is healthy will likely be called up including Maloney, LeCure, and Ramirez and anyone else sent down between now and September 1st. Francisco would be a question mark. Thompson and Alonso would be highly doubtful.

Among others, they will have some important decisions. Unlikely that anyone who is not Rule V eligible in December gets called up such as Frazier or Cozart (They would be wasting an option on the player next March if they add him to the roster before they need to).

Among the class of Stubbs, Wood, Heisey, Valaika, etc. (guys who are in their protection years), if they call a player up, they are committing to keeping that player on the 40 man all winter. Otherwise he would have to be outrighted and there would be a far greater chance of losing the player that way than by simply not protecting him in the Rule V. For that reason, I will guess that they will err on the side of caution and only call up players that would be absolute no-brainers as far as being added to the 40 man. So I will say Heisey, Stubbs, and Wood go up in September.

Doubtful that there are any call-up promises to the six-year free agent types, but it would make it easier to get the player re-signed for 2010 if they want the player back (see Adam Pettyjohn in September of 2008), so if they have a spot open in September, you could see a Barker or McDonald called up.

Quote Originally Posted by redsof72 View Post
    Virtually everyone currently on the 40 man who is healthy will likely be called up including Maloney, LeCure, and Ramirez and anyone else sent down between now and September 1st. Francisco would be a question mark. Thompson and Alonso would be highly doubtful.

Among others, they will have some important decisions. Unlikely that anyone who is not Rule V eligible in December gets called up such as Frazier or Cozart (They would be wasting an option on the player next March if they add him to the roster before they need to).

Among the class of Stubbs, Wood, Heisey, Valaika, etc. (guys who are in their protection years), if they call a player up, they are committing to keeping that player on the 40 man all winter. Otherwise he would have to be outrighted and there would be a far greater chance of losing the player that way than by simply not protecting him in the Rule V. For that reason, I will guess that they will err on the side of caution and only call up players that would be absolute no-brainers as far as being added to the 40 man. So I will say Heisey, Stubbs, and Wood go up in September.

Doubtful that there are any call-up promises to the six-year free agent types, but it would make it easier to get the player re-signed for 2010 if they want the player back (see Adam Pettyjohn in September of 2008), so if they have a spot open in September, you could see a Barker or McDonald called up.
    I understand not wanting to burn one of their options at the ML level, but do you have any idea why Cozart and Frazier are not in AAA at this point?

I'd call up Valaika instead of Wood. IMO Wood should pitch in AAA until next summer at least. Let's not make the same mistake we did with Homer.

It's time for the Reds to figure out what they have and who they need to keep between Sutton/Rosales/Janish/Valaika. Let them all play in September and see who prevails. If Valaika tanks, I'd have no problem outrighting him this offseason if they needed to. I don't think anyone would lose a considerable amount of sleep over risking losing him in the process.
    Go BLUE!!!

I would bet on few September callups. Louisville could be playing deep into September, which will hamper callups. Plus it's not like the guys already on the 40 man are really tearing it up. Maybe Maloney comes up to provide some depth, but that will be later in the month. Kevin Barker is having a good enough season that maybe they reward him with a cup of coffee, but it's not a given. My guess is there are few callups, and none of the top prospects people may want to see.

Dorn. To quote DD before the season started, "Dorn is the only prospect who could step to the plate at GABP and not be over-matched." The Reds blew it not inviting him to ST. He was the last from his NCAA Championship Cal-State team to be drafted, yet he has advanced faster and farther than any of those teamates.

With Gonzo being traded I'm starting to like the chances we see Frazier. These things have me wondering hard. He moves to 2nd, Phillips saying he'd try short, Gonzo being traded for likely nothing more than some little cash.

I think its safe to say a reason why Frazier was never moved up is because there was never a real place for him and the Reds didnt really want to take a winning team and throw a wrench into it by dropping one of the vets that have been there all year.

Anyone thinking I might be getting way too far ahead of myself here?

thorn

I think who ever they call up will be someone that has to be added to the 40 man to not get exposed to the rule 5 draft next year. If they don't have to be added in order to be protected, they shouldn't get the call, IMO.

Well, Kevin Barker is coming up. I didn't see that coming. Good job, Morrissey.

Turn Off Ads?