Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Wed August 12 - Minor League Updates

Re: Wed August 12 - Minor League Updates

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Heck, that doesn't even sound like he is ahead of him.
    It does to me.

Stubbs' walks and speed can only carry him so far. Willy Taveras will explain why.
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Is Heisey really outperforming Stubbs in AAA? I mean honestly?

Stubbs has a fairly sizable advantage in OBP and his K/BB is also quite a bit better. Heisey has more power. His average is slightly better. Stubbs is holding an advantage in OBP, plate discipline, base running and defense. That certainly doesn't scream 'running laps' around him. Heck, that doesn't even sound like he is ahead of him.
    Stubbs now has a full year in AAA. And he hasn't really progressed from that 1st month. In fact he's regressed a bit, except in his running game which has been very, very good.

But it isn't htat Heisey has more power. He has a LOT more power. Stubbs 20 point advantage in OBP is shattered by Heisey's 140 point SLG advantage. Stubbs speed screams leadoff hitter, but his OBP isn't anything special and his MLE according to minorleaguesplits.com is .298. That's Willy Taveras country. Project his frame to equate power all you want. Unless he displays power, he has none.

Stubbs is currently sporting a .352 BABIP. Is that a normal figure? I thought .300 was the average. .352 without gap power?

It's looking more and more like his timeframe is late 2010. That's atrocious for a 1st round top ten pick out of a major university. But given Dusty's propensity for the exact type of player Stubbs is, he could be 2010 opening day CF.

And I have hijacked yet another thread.

oy.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    But it isn't htat Heisey has more power. He has a LOT more power. Stubbs 20 point advantage in OBP is shattered by Heisey's 140 point SLG advantage. Stubbs speed screams leadoff hitter, but his OBP isn't anything special and his MLE according to minorleaguesplits.com is .298. That's Willy Taveras country. Project his frame to equate power all you want. Unless he displays power, he has none.
    Stubbs has nearly a 40 point OBP advantage and his walk rate is up 11.3% to 4.8% over Heisey. I don't care about MLE's. They aren't accurate.

Stubbs is currently sporting a .352 BABIP. Is that a normal figure? I thought .300 was the average. .352 without gap power?
    .352 in the minors for a guy with Stubbs speed is plenty normal. Where do you have some idea that Stubbs doesn't have gap power?

It's looking more and more like his timeframe is late 2010. That's atrocious for a 1st round top ten pick out of a major university. But given Dusty's propensity for the exact type of player Stubbs is, he could be 2010 opening day CF.

oy.
    Who cares about a 'timetable'? Produce when you get there. Thats what matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    It does to me.

Stubbs' walks and speed can only carry him so far. Willy Taveras will explain why.
    Willy does not walk
    "When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    It does to me.

You forgot the most important part.... the defense. Those three things can carry him pretty far. And Willy Taveras explains nothing about Stubbs. They have completely different qualities. No one is scared to throw Taveras an 85 MPH fastball down the heart of the plate. No one. Guys aren't going to throw that pitch to Stubbs, even if his SLG% is sub .400. They know he will put that ball in the seats.

It's your calling.

Quote Originally Posted by bubbachunk View Post
    Willy does not walk
    He did in the minors. When he got to the majors, pitchers realized they could come after him because he had no power, and that's exactly what I think will happen with Stubbs unless he starts to show some power (in games.)
    Go BLUE!!!

You forgot the most important part.... the defense. Those three things can carry him pretty far. And Willy Taveras explains nothing about Stubbs. They have completely different qualities. No one is scared to throw Taveras an 85 MPH fastball down the heart of the plate. No one. Guys aren't going to throw that pitch to Stubbs, even if his SLG% is sub .400. They know he will put that ball in the seats.
    Do they? Until he starts doing it- you know, in actual real games- I don't think they do.

I know Stubbs has more power projection than Willy. But at a certain point, he has to SHOW it. If he does, it will be a different story and I'll be much more bullish on him. That's all I'm saying.
    Go BLUE!!!

Drew Stubbs has way more power than Willy ever did. Stubbs has almost twice as many doubles and home runs, and only has 2 less triples and has done it in 40 less games comparing their minor league careers.

Regarding Stubbs' plate discipline, his walks look good but he also takes a lot of strikes. That isn't discipline in my book. It's lack of aggressiveness.

K/AB

Stubbs - 25.0%
    Heisey - 17.7%

Yes Doug, I know you don't like that stat. I do.

Quote Originally Posted by GOYA View Post
    Regarding Stubbs' plate discipline, his walks look good but he also takes a lot of strikes. That isn't discipline in my book. It's lack of aggressiveness.

K/AB

Stubbs - 25.0%
    Heisey - 17.7%

Yes Doug, I know you don't like that stat. I do.
    Stubbs - 97K/50BB
    Heisey - 27K/8BB

One guy is better than 2 to 1. One guy is worse than 3 to 1.

I agree with you to a point on Stubbs taking too many pitches. I think his overall numbers would actually benefit from swinging more frequently early in the count. Overall though, Stubbs has good plate discipline.

Wouldn't K/PA be actually more accurate considering how many more BBs Stubbs has?
    "When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"

Quote Originally Posted by bubbachunk View Post
    Wouldn't K/PA be actually more accurate considering how many more BBs Stubbs has?
    Yes, I think so. K/AB has its advantages, but in terms of how often one strikes out, it doesn't.

Stubbs - 97K/50BB
    Heisey - 27K/8BB

One guy is better than 2 to 1. One guy is worse than 3 to 1.

I agree with you to a point on Stubbs taking too many pitches. I think his overall numbers would actually benefit from swinging more frequently early in the count. Overall though, Stubbs has good plate discipline.
    One guy has been in AAA for a year, one guy for a month and a half.

There is an adjustment period.
    Suck it up cupcake.

One guy has been in AAA for a year, one guy for a month and a half.

There is an adjustment period.
    I am not sure I completely buy into that. If we are talking about a 19/20 year old I am willing to give you a little more leeway on 'adjusting your plate discipline', but Heisey is nearly 25 years old. How much of an adjustment period should he get? He has 176 PA now. His walk rate in June/July at AAA was 5.5%. Its now sitting at 2.2% in August. I think he is certainly better than the 2.2% he is showing in August, but I am not sure he is all that much better than the 6.5% he showed in July.

Turn Off Ads?