Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which OF will dive for a ball tomorrow...

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Which OF will dive for a ball tomorrow...

... that he didn't need to dive for, then drop it?

Gomes?

Nix?

Willy T or Dickerson again?

Discuss...
    Last edited by BluegrassRedleg; 08-12-2009 at 08:47 PM.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Which OF will dive for a ball tomorrow...

That's a disturbing picture.

Sutton when they put him out there for some reason.

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Willy Tavares is, without a doubt, the worst position player the Reds have employed since I have paid attention, and I am 32 years old. There is not a single thing Tavares does on the field that is even league-average. He's ultra-bad. He takes bad baseball to a new level.

He makes Corey Patterson look....good.

It's going to take a lot of great moves from Jockerty for him to get himself out of this hole. Bidding against yourself for a horrid player in a bad economy then overpaying him is, quite simply, Tavaresing your duties as a GM.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

George is that you? Jockerty

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    George is that you? Jockerty
    We've discussed this before. I misspell it as an homage to Grandy.

I didnt know we did but please if you dont stop its going to cause me night terrors

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    Willy Tavares is, without a doubt, the worst position player the Reds have employed since I have paid attention, and I am 32 years old. There is not a single thing Tavares does on the field that is even league-average. He's ultra-bad. He takes bad baseball to a new level.

He makes Corey Patterson look....good.

It's going to take a lot of great moves from Jockerty for him to get himself out of this hole. Bidding against yourself for a horrid player in a bad economy then overpaying him is, quite simply, Tavaresing your duties as a GM.
    But have you seen how fast he is?

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    But have you seen how fast he is?
    Bakermetrics Entry Quiz, Question 5:

Your contract with a Mountain Time Zone team has expired. No one expressed much, if any, interest in signing you. Then one team steps forward and offers you much more money than the market would dictate, considering your career achievements, the fact that the rest of the league concluded you were just bad at baseball, and the fact that the rest of the league concluded you were really, really bad at baseball.

But you are REALLY fast.

What would you expect to be paid, given a bad economy? (Hint - You are REALLY fast)

A) 400,000

B) 2.25 Mil

C) Why Would Anyone Sign Me if I'm That Bad?

D) Toothpick

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    Bakermetrics Entry Quiz, Question 5:

Your contract with a Mountain Time Zone team has expired. No one expressed much, if any, interest in signing you. Then one team steps forward and offers you much more money than the market would dictate, considering your career achievements, the fact that the rest of the league concluded you were just bad at baseball, and the fact that the rest of the league concluded you were really, really bad at baseball.

But you are REALLY fast.

What would you expect to be paid, given a bad economy? (Hint - You are REALLY fast)

A) 400,000

B) 2.25 Mil

C) Why Would Anyone Sign Me if I'm That Bad?

D) Toothpick
    Bakermetrics is big-time tough, dude. I could be wrong but my answer would be D-Toothpick.
    Let me explain how I got there. A-400,000 I am thinking is how many fly balls I would misplay if I got to play for 10 years in the majors. B-2.25 Mil is a little bit easier. That is how many fans booed me when I played for that Mountain Zone team last year. C-Why Would Anyone Sign Me if I'm That Bad? is a really tempting choice. But since it is impolite to answer a question with a question that can't be right. D-Toothpick has to be correct.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Bakermetrics is big-time tough, dude. I could be wrong but my answer would be D-Toothpick.
    Let me explain how I got there. A-400,000 I am thinking is how many fly balls I would misplay if I got to play for 10 years in the majors. B-2.25 Mil is a little bit easier. That is how many fans booed me when I played for that Mountain Zone team last year. C-Why Would Anyone Sign Me if I'm That Bad? is a really tempting choice. But since it is impolite to answer a question with a question that can't be right. D-Toothpick has to be correct.
    You're right - this Q was big time tough, dude.

But you missed.

I'll tell you why.

Your answer was D)- Toothpick. Toothpicks are what help veterans, guys who PTGTRW, manage. You have to chew on them constantly to put up with all the stuff that goes on in the modern game - steroids, OBP, injuries, etc. Makes an old ballplayer ill. Kind of a trick and, for that, I apologize, dude.

Correct answer was B). 2.25 MIL. Fast is fast. Fast runners don't clog bases. You simply cannot overpay fast. Any fast player that you try to sign is going to be expensive.

Think about it a little harder next time, dude. You can take this test three times.

Who ever said that the correct answer had to be an option when talking Bakermetrics?Here ya go guys.The correct answer is:

E)2.25 Mil. in 2009 for being fast then 4 Mil. in 2010 just because your my dude

Come on guys.We should know these things by now.
    Last edited by Captain Hook; 08-13-2009 at 01:04 AM.

Old Red Guard Reject

Nix and Gomes have to play to be able to dive after the ball. Dusty heard somewhere that they would be nice PH to have off the bench and thus starts the Sutton-Taveres combo in LF-CF to save Nix and Gomes to pinch hit. That Dusty sure is slick like that.
    If you ain't first, you're last! - Ricky Bobby

Resident PED Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Newman4 View Post
    Nix and Gomes have to play to be able to dive after the ball. Dusty heard somewhere that they would be nice PH to have off the bench and thus starts the Sutton-Taveres combo in LF-CF to save Nix and Gomes to pinch hit. That Dusty sure is slick like that.

Unfortunatly this answer is pretty close to the way he thinks, Sadly.

Kinda like this Bakermetrics...

The game is on the line... It's the 7th inning... Your team is leading by a run, the base are loaded with two outs and Prince Albert strolls to the plate...

Do you...

A) Bring in your closer to stop the rally

B) Bring in David Weathers to groove a terrifing 88 MPH right down the middle

C) Walk him because one run is better than 4

D) Closers only pitch the 9th, Dude...

Quote Originally Posted by nemesis View Post
    Unfortunatly this answer is pretty close to the way he thinks, Sadly.

Kinda like this Bakermetrics...

The game is on the line... It's the 7th inning... Your team is leading by a run, the base are loaded with two outs and Prince Albert strolls to the plate...

Do you...

A) Bring in your closer to stop the rally

B) Bring in David Weathers to groove a terrifing 88 MPH right down the middle

C) Walk him because one run is better than 4

D) Closers only pitch the 9th, Dude...
    Swallowing toothpick: E) Dude got ahold of that one, bigtime.

Turn Off Ads?