Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much longer until we trade Homer Laaaarson?

How much longer until we trade Homer Laaaarson?

Seeing as how we've seen no improvement from him over his young career, he's almost a throw in to a trade right now.

Anyone still want to keep him?

EDIT: A better thread title should be "How much longer until we cut Homer LAAAArson?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Re: How much longer until we trade Homer Laaaarson?

He's 23. I don't like giving up on 23 year-olds with immense talent. I am probably going to get lambasted for this, but I have seen improvement from him this year.

I have also said this before, many times, but it bears repeating - pitchers develop at different rates. Sometimes with gifted prospects you get Lincecums; sometimes you get Greinkes.

Homer's added the splitter to his repertoire. His velocity is back this year. He needs more practice with the splitter and he needs to continue to work on his off-speed stuff and his location.

And we need to work on getting people in our organization who can develop pitchers.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

Quote Originally Posted by DTCromer View Post
    Seeing as how we've seen no improvement from him over his young career, he's almost a throw in to a trade right now.

Anyone still want to keep him?

EDIT: A better thread title should be "How much longer until we cut Homer LAAAArson?
    Maybe his leg will need amputated and you can go cheering in the streets over it.

Edinson Volquez is out for most of 2010. It seems likely that either Harang or Arroyo will be dealt away. Jocketty foolishly included Zach Stewart in the Rolen deal. Mike Leake will need a year, at the minimum, in the minors. Like it or not the Reds need Homer Bailey to develop into a major league pitcher. The earliest I would jettison the young man is at the end of the 2010 season.

I still think if nothing else, he'd be a heck of an arm coming out of the pen in the late innings.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Who is Homer Laaaaarson? If your referring to Homer Bailey, well, I dont know what to tell you. I would be open to a trade if a great deal was offered, but am just as open to holding on and seeing what he is goign to do. Ther has def been improvement from him overall this year, it seems thelearnign curve has shortedned some. Still has things to work on of course, but dont see bashing him as needed.
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post

And we need to work on getting people in our organization who can develop pitchers.
    This. 100,000 x's.
    2010 Mock Draft Selections (picking for Rays)

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

Ty Howington, Brandon Larson, Johnny Oliver, Chad Mottola...

Man, our scouting department really really sucked...

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

yawn
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

I'd say in a few more years, if the inconsistencies are still there, then maybe it would be time to deal him. Even then, he'd still only be 25, and with that "potential" label that would be attractive to potential suitors. I'd hate to see him to go a team like the Cardinals who know how to get pitchers going in the right direction, and have him face us and completely dominate.

At this point, who's any better, or ready to make the jump to the majors? I'm not sold on Homer either. I just don't see any other options. BTW, I have griped on more than one occasion about the lack of ability in the Reds' scouting and development. There is zero accountability. They seem to find a diamond in the rough once in awhile, but waaay too many busts.
    Last edited by Old NDN; 08-14-2009 at 10:52 PM. Reason: punctuation

I would much rather have Homer Bailey the 5th starter ALL next season then to bring in another Jimmy Haynes, Paul Wilson, Josh Fogg, etc...

I think they need to have him as a Closer and Trade CoCo... Get rid of 12 Million... Homer could throw 95 and Dominate for an Inning, couldnt he?

We need a new pitching coach. We've had more than enough dick lately.

Quote Originally Posted by Hondo View Post
    I would much rather have Homer Bailey the 5th starter ALL next season then to bring in another Jimmy Haynes, Paul Wilson, Josh Fogg, etc...

I think they need to have him as a Closer and Trade CoCo... Get rid of 12 Million... Homer could throw 95 and Dominate for an Inning, couldnt he?
    Problem is, even top market teams don't wanna comp our stupid ass contract we're giving Cordero, even though he is an All Star. This is what happens when retards run the front office constantly.

Might as well trade Cueto too

Turn Off Ads?