Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: General Managers League?

Re: General Managers League?

Quote Originally Posted by MJA View Post
    I'd be game, but I'd first need to know time commitment. I'm going to be a freshman in college, the whole college thing is new for me so I don't want to commit to something I couldn't put the necessary man hours in.
    College is easy. Get your **** done, have fun, and play fantasy baseball...

2. Turn Off Ads?

I could potentially be interested, but would like to know more details
    Go BLUE!!!

Update: the outline is getting close. I was transferring some tables into a new document that I left open without saving and the auto-recover feature did not save it when my computer did an update/restart. So I had to start somewhat from scratch. However, after trying to strategize a few features, I am getting closer to being finished.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Sounds good...

I'm pretty excited about this. It looks very interesting.

I'm hoping to finish the outline tonight. Once everyone sees it, you'll understand why it's taken so long (LOL).

BTW, just in the interest of full disclosure, if we do use CBS as our hosting, it will require a very, very nominal fee from everyone just to cover expenses. CBS costs (I think) $160-$180 per season, so with 24 owners, we're looking at $8 per owner per season. Obviously, not very much. At worst, we could maybe do $10-15 and distribute money among 'x' amount of teams? That's something I'd leave up to everyone that participates, but it's an idea.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    College is easy. Get your **** done, have fun, and play fantasy baseball...
    at no point do you mention beer.

communist.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Sounds cool.I'm game.

Another update:

The rule outline, which really turned into more of a prospective rulebook, is pretty much done. I'm just going through proofreading, editing and checking for inconsistencies.

I've already started on the next project, a compatible QRG to make things more simpler for those that don't want to go through and read the entire text of the rulebook.

When both are done, I shall make another update, and distribute the documents to everyone that is interested. The timing will require that we start the process in about 30-45 days, in order to get things running to effectively be ready for next year.

OK folks. I have a PDF outline of the setup and rules. It's a doozy. Sorry for taking so long. You'll be able to see the work I've put into it and why it's taken so long.

Sorry if the quality is not the best. It turned out decent, but I think there were some small cosmetic things that did not turn out as I expected.

Anyone that would like a copy (you'll only need a PDF reader), give me your email either in this thread or by private message. I'll send anyone interested a copy.

We'll need to get this rolling very soon if we are seriously looking to start this offseason.

The email has been sent to everyone that has asked me thus far.

Okay, I'm reading your Prospectus now and I'm just going to list comments/questions as they pop into my head:

* Why use errors for defense with UZR available?

* Why 24 teams instead of 30 teams?

* Why play divisional teams the same amount as other teams in the same league?

* I don't think allowing minor leaguers to be used on the major league rosters is going to work. For example, a team could use AAAA players who play for Colorado Springs because of its high scoring environment. You never scale for offensive environment.

Wow. *breathes*

*breathes again*

My face hurts. That was an impressive document. Are you sure you shouldn't be making documents for a living rather than spending time on fantasy baseball?

But yeah, kudos to you man. I look forward to discussing this stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Okay, I'm reading your Prospectus now and I'm just going to list comments/questions as they pop into my head:

* I don't think allowing minor leaguers to be used on the major league rosters is going to work. For example, a team could use AAAA players who play for Colorado Springs because of its high scoring environment. You never scale for offensive environment.

Wow. *breathes*

*breathes again*

My face hurts. That was an impressive document. Are you sure you shouldn't be making documents for a living rather than spending time on fantasy baseball?

But yeah, kudos to you man. I look forward to discussing this stuff...
    Great questions. Fortunately, as this is something I've thought a lot about, I can them as to some of my reasoning.

A: Mainly because UZR is just so flaky when done on a weekly basis. Plus, when I first was looking for hosting, I wanted all the stats to at least be able to be calculated in the raw form, and UZR is not yet available with any fantasy sites that I've found. Though I (in real life) obviously like UZR better than errors or fielding percentage, unfortunately I could not really think of a way to (at least for now) properly quantify UZR into the formula. I think in a year or two, that would be a great improvement.

A: Two basic reasons: balanced scheduling and also the ability to have a little more flexibility with rosters since you'd like to have more wiggle room with available free agents. Though this is offset somewhat by having MLE's (for minor league players), most teams would still prefer using Major League players. And since we're at the mercy of the players available on 25-man rosters, 24 teams allows a little extra versatility. Really though, balanced scheduling is the bigger reason.

A: This basically comes down to balanced scheduling again. I thought about making it to where teams play their division rivals three times each, but it leads to more complicated schedule-making as this means only playing three teams from within your league once each. It would be a nightmare for trying to keep everything balanced. So two series each made it simple.

This is accounted for in the MLE formula.

Players' stats are first adjusted for league scoring environment. The first step is to adjust the minor league they play in by the MLB level. So for the PCL... the factor I included in there was 5.0 RPG and 4.65 for MLB. So basically a PCL player automatically has his stats reduced by 7% (4.65 is 0.93 of 5.0).

Then the level and stat adjustments are made.

So you are absolutely correct to point it out, but it's the first step included! Don't worry, that was already taken into account (haha).

BTW...

I uploaded this to Google Docs for those that want to just check out the link instead of having me email it. I'll gladly send a copy over to anyone that wants it. But if you want a link, here it is...

GM Dynasty League Primer

Anyone else have any feedback thus far?

camisadelgolf@gmail.com

I'll gladly take a copy of the PDF.

Turn Off Ads?