Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Merriman arrested for choking Tila Tequila

Merriman arrested for choking Tila Tequila

I'm not making this up.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_yl...v=ap&type=lgns

Should I be happy or outraged. I'm kidding of course, but when are these stories going to start to stick to the NFL itself. I'm an NBA guy and am sick of my league being called a thug league when they are choir boys compared to the NFL.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Merriman arrested for choking Tila Tequila

Does Shawne Merriman have to choke a (woman)?

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    I'm not making this up.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_yl...v=ap&type=lgns

Should I be happy or outraged. I'm kidding of course, but when are these stories going to start to stick to the NFL itself. I'm an NBA guy and am sick of my league being called a thug league when they are choir boys compared to the NFL.
    You're right. It's a double standard. An NFL player gets in legal trouble and unless it's Michael Vick, no one cares. An NBA player does it and the whole league is Thug Life. Likewise when a baseball player tests positive for steroids it's a big deal whereas when an NFL player does it, no big deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Im guessing she was drunk and acting like the skank she is and like a crazy woman she obviously is freaked out and exaggerated the story.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    You're right. It's a double standard. An NFL player gets in legal trouble and unless it's Michael Vick, no one cares. An NBA player does it and the whole league is Thug Life. Likewise when a baseball player tests positive for steroids it's a big deal whereas when an NFL player does it, no big deal.
    People did care about Plax story as well as the Donte Stallworth story. But, if they were NBA players the league itself would be blamed and there would be a backlash against the game and the NBA. That simply hasn't happened w/ the NFL yet and I find the double standard to be sad.

People did care about Plax story as well as the Donte Stallworth story. But, if they were NBA players the league itself would be blamed and there would be a backlash against the game and the NBA. That simply hasn't happened w/ the NFL yet and I find the double standard to be sad.
    I think a lot of the issue has to do with helmets and pads. That may sound dumb, but stick with me for a second. Basketball players are very visible on the court and we all know what they look like. Football players suit up in armor and unless they are a huge star most fans are unaware of what they look like. Even then, only hardcore fans could pick them out of a lineup. I think the otherworldly appearance of footballers makes them seem less connected to their off-field life.

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    I think a lot of the issue has to do with helmets and pads. That may sound dumb, but stick with me for a second. Basketball players are very visible on the court and we all know what they look like. Football players suit up in armor and unless they are a huge star most fans are unaware of what they look like. Even then, only hardcore fans could pick them out of a lineup. I think the otherworldly appearance of footballers makes them seem less connected to their off-field life.
    Agreed. It is also one of the reasons that I love the NBA. There is no sport with more visible personalities and more variety in playing style. Football is all about breaking you down into a mindless creature of habit, baseball is all about muscle memory and quick reflexes, but basketball requires a sense of creativity at all positions.

The real reason that the NFL doesn't get the same image as the NBA is simple. Peyton Manning, Brett Favre, Tom Brady, and Carson Palmer. The NFL has always had eloquent, classy, and most importantly, white superstars. White America doesn't have any great NBA players that they can identify with (except for Pacer fans).

The real reason that the NFL doesn't get the same image as the NBA is simple. Peyton Manning, Brett Favre, Tom Brady, and Carson Palmer. The NFL has always had eloquent, classy, and most importantly, white superstars. White America doesn't have any great NBA players that they can identify with (except for Pacer fans).
    Stephen A Smith is that you?

The NFL may have a better 'image' than the NBA, but that is not because pro football players are better citizens.

If you set aside players who have been guilty of pot-smoking and/or adultry, then the NFL has far more to worry about than the NBA.

The NFL has far more players who have been charged with violent felonies than does the NBA. If you examine the incidences of violence against women, I think the difference would even be more pronounced.

There is also like 4 times more players in the NFL

Man I've never been more jealous....how I wish *I* could choke her.

Hearing a little more of the story this morning, it seems she was examined and there were no signs of physical injury to her [again according to the report on the news I just heard].

Like wise he was arrested because she said he did it [which in these kinds of cases is unfortunately the right thing to do.] But that methodology leaves a lot to be desired and often paints innocent people as something they might not be.
    Last edited by Joseph; 09-07-2009 at 11:21 AM.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

This reminds me of one of my favorite images:

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    Stephen A Smith is that you?
    I would have written it in all caps.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

When you date Tila Tequila, can you expect things to go anyway but the way they have?

Isn't she like the size of a 10 year old child? How did he not kill her?
    "Trying is the first step towards failure." Homer Simpson

"I wasn't looking too good but I was feeling real well." Keith Richards

Turn Off Ads?