Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hard Knocks discussion (thread might have spoilers)

Re: Hard Knocks discussion (thread might have spoilers)

Agree on the Carson stuff. The hand problem was hilarious. The gatorade thing was a little annoying.

I liked Marvin saying that he told Mike Brown "Child Please"

HBO does such a good job of building the story lines. I am really rooting for Chris Pressley and Chase Coffman.

The ending sequence with Katie Blackburn on the phone with Andre Smith's agent, was a bit eye opening. They are entrenched on that crazy contract that the Raiders gave Heyward-Bey. This is going to take awhile, and I don't think it is the Bengals fault.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Agree on the Carson stuff. The hand problem was hilarious. The gatorade thing was a little annoying.

I liked Marvin saying that he told Mike Brown "Child Please"

HBO does such a good job of building the story lines. I am really rooting for Chris Pressley and Chase Coffman.

The ending sequence with Katie Blackburn on the phone with Andre Smith's agent, was a bit eye opening. They are entrenched on that crazy contract that the Raiders gave Heyward-Bey. This is going to take awhile, and I don't think it is the Bengals fault.
    Granted everything is shown from a certain slant. But here were my thoughts from the second episode.

It was kind of sad how Brat and the RB coach can't get away from Jermi Johnson. I don't want him back on the team. I am rooting for Presley.

I liked how they gave some background information into the TE coach and Coffman's relationship. I can see now why he is being extra hard on him. When he has know Chase since he was little it makes it a bit easier.

Don't know why Chad would go to Bootsey's. Nothing is worse than being the sober one at a bar. Well I guess it can get worse if groves of drunk men want to talk, hug, and take pictures with you.

I was surprised to hear Smith's agent on the phone. I was even more surprised because he didn't sound like a business man. I would expect an agent to be much more well spoken than Smiths agent.

Smith will get signed, but the question is when. I blame both sides equally but the agent is doing Smith a big disservice in not getting him signed.

I love HBO's camera work. They can even make cutting the grass look cool.

I dont blame the Bengals at all for Smith. I blame the Raiders completely. Both the Bengals and Smith are blame free and are just trying to do the best they can. At some point Smith is going to have to come down and take what Monroe got plus some.

I thought the Corey Lynch story was awesome. He is a hero in every sense of the word for saving that woman's life. I don't remember ever hearing anything about that. That shouldn't surprise me I guess because you rarely hear about any of the good professional athletes do...
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

And the Bengals are going to have to come up and realize how the slot system works. If they had gotten Smith signed before the Raiders signed their pick, they wouldn't have this problem, but they waited to let the market set itself, and now don't want to deal with the situation they helped create. Perhaps the Raiders overpaid, but, like it or not, the Bengals have to deal with it since they did not get anything done sooner.

The slowness of the Bengals to sign picks and their refusal to deal in the realities of the market are not the Radier's fault.

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    I dont blame the Bengals at all for Smith. I blame the Raiders completely. Both the Bengals and Smith are blame free and are just trying to do the best they can. At some point Smith is going to have to come down and take what Monroe got plus some.

The bengals are dealing in realities to me. The Raiders are the ones completely out of the loop with how the system works. Sounds like to me that Smith is asking for something around 30 million. We obviously didnt hear an exchange of numbers other than Heyward Bey being cited. I get the feeling Keels and Smith are trying to get Jason Smith type money and using Heyward Bey as their absolute bottom. Id understand Smiths side if the pick right after Heyward Bey signed for something similar but its not really even close. Eugene Monroe is getting like 5 mill a year and Jason Smith is getting something in the mid 6 millions. Heyward Bey is getting like 7.5. If they are asking for Heyward Bey money they are insane.

Heyward Bey signed on August 30th. Thats one of the 1st 1st rounders to sign. Even if the Bengals were proactive they likely were not going to beat that signing. Heck did Smith even know what agent he was going to have then?

Quote Originally Posted by UKFlounder View Post
    And the Bengals are going to have to come up and realize how the slot system works. If they had gotten Smith signed before the Raiders signed their pick, they wouldn't have this problem, but they waited to let the market set itself, and now don't want to deal with the situation they helped create. Perhaps the Raiders overpaid, but, like it or not, the Bengals have to deal with it since they did not get anything done sooner.

The slowness of the Bengals to sign picks and their refusal to deal in the realities of the market are not the Radier's fault.
    The Raiders stepped out of line.

From Wikipedia
    On July 30, 2009, the Oakland Raiders agreed to terms on a five-year deal with Heyward-Bey. The deal guarantees him $23.5 million. The deal's base value is reportedly $38.25 million with the opportunity to make $15.75M more via incentives. Heyward-Bey's annual average is $7.65 million.
    He wants more than DHB.

Sanchez a QB got this at the fifth pick.
    On June 10, Sanchez signed a five-year contract with the Jets worth $50 million, with $28 million in guarantees. It is the largest contract the Jets signed with a player in franchise history. He was also the second draft pick signed from the 2009 draft.
    Last year Gholston got this for being the sixth pick
    Gholston agreed to terms on a 5-year, $50 million contract (with $21 million in guaranteed money) with the Jets on July 24.
    DHB's contract is valued at up to $54 Million. Keels told Katie Blackburn that he wants more than DHB.

Andre Smith's agent is a Alvin Keels, here is an interesting read on him.
    http://www.playersvoice.com/latest/young-hungry.html
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

I like that the ESPN article on the show, points out the futility of the franchise since MB took full control and that there's not a whole lot that's going to change while the Brown family is still in charge.

You could tell the ESPN writer felt kinda bad for the Bengal fans.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/traini...ory?id=4412908
    In those things which we commit to practice we can master, and with mastery we have the freedom to use these skills whenever we desire, without this practice we are slaves to our inability.

Zimmer is my hero. I wish I could listen to coaches and players with out being censored more often.

Good episode tonight.

Maualuga is quickly becoming one of my favorites.

Good episode tonight.

Maualuga is quickly becoming one of my favorites.
    I loved when Zimmer said "Im glad I have him". The wrecking ball description of him is the best. Dude may not be as disciplined as the Bengals want, but he will knock down defenders.

Where was the Ali stuff btw. It was in the description but it wasnt on the show.

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    Where was the Ali stuff btw. It was in the description but it wasnt on the show.
    The show doesn't always appear in chronological order. I can see that being a big moment that just didn't fit into this week.

The show doesn't always appear in chronological order. I can see that being a big moment that just didn't fit into this week.
    It was in the preivew for "next week" last week

anyone else think the clip of the marvin speech where it was zoomed in on his face was faked? As in no players around and they just shot it like a scene for the show?

Turn Off Ads?