Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hal Says Reds Will Unload Cordero Before Arroyo or Harang

Hal Says Reds Will Unload Cordero Before Arroyo or Harang

Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Hal Says Reds Will Unload Cordero Before Arroyo or Harang

IF someone would take Cordero we could use his salary better. Add an arm or two for the pen cheaply (ala Rhodes) and use the rest of the saved money elsewhere (LF, SS, another SP, 2nd catcher,etc)

IMO the team should keep both Harang & Arroyo and ADD another good starter if they want to win in 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    IF someone would take Cordero we could use his salary better. Add an arm or two for the pen cheaply (ala Rhodes) and use the rest of the saved money elsewhere (LF, SS, another SP, 2nd catcher,etc)

IMO the team should keep both Harang & Arroyo and ADD another good starter if they want to win in 2010.
    Sure we could, but will we? We're talking about the same front office that gave WT $6.25M.

I'd be all for shipping out Cordero if I knew the FO would spend the money wisely, but we have no indication that that will happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post

I think shipping Arroyo out as well and replacing him in the rotation via FA would be a prudent decision if the Reds want to win in 2010.

While Cordero has done all that has been asked of him, his contract just doesn't make sense for this team. $12M this year and $12 next year can be better spent. And I really think that either Bailey or Owings would make a great closer.

Of teams contending, the Cubs and Phillies need a closer the most. The Yankees and Red Sox could use a setup guy, and the Tigers needs another bullpen arm.

I'm not sure where each team sits in terms of payroll, but hopefully, one of them would claim him.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

I'd rather give Arroyo away, get at least something for Harang (but won't mind him around if Bronson goes) and try to get some thing decent for Cordero.

Arroyo should be the one we should most be shopping. Harang and Cordero should be shopped but we should get back at least legitmate one good prospect/piece for them if not a bit more. But Arroyo should be at the top of the 'get rid of' list.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

I believe the Reds agree that they would rather give away Arroyo, but it takes two to tango.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Cordero's presence makes the entire bullpen better. Yes, $12 million is a lot, but we've been down the "let's find cheap bullpen arms" road before, with little success.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    I think shipping Arroyo out as well and replacing him in the rotation via FA would be a prudent decision if the Reds want to win in 2010.
    i actually agree but what if the good free agents turn us down? a guy like Lackey can go anywhere. he has already made a lot of money. even if the Reds offer him the best deal money wise he may turn it down to play for a proven winner. he is really the only sure thing on the market.

the best of the rest...
    Bedard - hurt
    Webb - hurt
    Pettite - signs with NYY or retires
    Washburn - one good year since 2005
    Myers - 2009 ERA+ of 93 and career ERA+ of 100
    Doug Davis - i have never been impressed with his stuff but does have a history of getting the job done. is 33 years old
    Harden - having an off year (for him with ERA+ of 102) and history of injuries

so the targets are Lackey, Harden & Davis (???). all 3 could go elsewhere even if we pursue them. that would then leave us with...
    Cueto
    Harang
    Bailey
    Owings
    Maloney or Wood
    Volquez could come back but I wouldn't be counting on him for 2010

that is one sorry rotation.

No Weathers, no Stewart or Roenicke, Hal says no Cordero.

It's ok the ninth inning isn't that important.

I’m not talking about the chicken wings. I’m talking about the chicks. The waitresses were beyond description.
    I thought Hal was blind?
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

I thought the Yankees at one time had shown some interest in Cordero. Rivera will be 40 in the offseason and is in the last year of a deal that pays him 15 million dollars this season. I could see the Yankees bringing Mo back for another year but something tells me he will want more than a one year deal with the Yanks. Cordero would fit nicely in New York but the Yankees have gone the free agancy route lately for their big players. Can only see a deal happening if the Reds take on a portion of CoCo's salary.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Man only needs one eye.

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    I thought the Yankees at one time had shown some interest in Cordero. Rivera will be 40 in the offseason and is in the last year of a deal that pays him 15 million dollars this season. I could see the Yankees bringing Mo back for another year but something tells me he will want more than a one year deal with the Yanks. Cordero would fit nicely in New York but the Yankees have gone the free agancy route lately for their big players. Can only see a deal happening if the Reds take on a portion of CoCo's salary.
    The Reds leadership should be publicly flogged if they pay one dime of Cordero's salary in any trade, especially with the freaking U.S. Trust err NY Yankees.

Turn Off Ads?