Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ignorant Cubs fan throws beer at Shane Victorino

Re: Ignorant Cubs fan throws beer at Shane Victorino

Boy if there is one thing I can't stand is drunk fans doing stupid things.

How do you ban someone from a ballgame? How do they enforce it? What? Do they take the person's picture and put it up by the gate for the ticket takers?

Or do they put it on the back of milk cartons with the caption.... "If you see this mug at a Cubs game, call this number"?
    Last edited by GAC; 08-13-2009 at 05:04 PM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Boy if there is one thing I can't stand is drunk fans doing stupid things.

I know. They go to bars afterwards and drunkenly stare at young women half their age. :
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I know. They go to bars afterwards and drunkenly stare at young women half their age. :
    Yeah, but they don't throw beer on them and get banned from the bar.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Cubs fans are complete morons. And this one is getting arrested.

CHICAGO -- Chicago police charged a 21-year-old man with two misdemeanor counts Thursday in connection with a beer-throwing incident that showered Philadelphia Phillies center fielder Shane Victorino.

John Macchione of Bartlett, Ill., was charged with one count of battery and one count of illegal conduct within a sports facility, according to police.

Victorino was hit by a cup of beer thrown from the bleachers while trying to catch a fly ball in the Philadelphia Phillies' 12-5 win over the Chicago Cubs on Wednesday night.

The All-Star outfielder managed to make the grab, and Cubs chairman Crane Kenney apologized to him in person before Thursday's game.

"It's part of the game. It's one of those things that happens and I just want to make sure that guy gets what's due," Victorino said before the Phillies' 6-1 win.

"I think he needs to be held accountable. But for the most part, I just see it as the guy thought it was fun. It is what it is. It didn't cost me in any way and it didn't hurt me in any way. It's part of the ballgame," he said.

Victorino filed the police report Thursday. Shortly after the game, police said a man turned himself in.

Cubs manager Lou Piniella and general manager Jim Hendry also apologized to Victorino.

"I said, 'Listen, sorry," Kenney said after talking to Victorino near the Phillies' dugout.

"It shouldn't have happened here. It's not a good reflection on our city or organization," he said. "We're going to do whatever we can to make sure that things are made right here. And he said, 'I know you are and I appreciate your help.'"

Victorino was on the warning track and in front of the ivy-covered wall, set to catch a sacrifice fly by Jake Fox in the fifth inning, when the cup of beer came flying out of the bleachers and went all over him.

According to local media reports, security personnel questioned a man who was taunting Victorino while the fan who actually threw the beer got away.

"I just think that, not so much that I want to press charges or file anything against him. I just think he's probably sitting at home thinking he got away with it. I hope that he gets the understanding that you can't be doing things like that," Victorino said.

"I don't think he'd be walking too far if something like that happened in the streets. It's just not something that you do. For the most part, in the big picture, this guy should be held accountable and something should be done," he said.

Kenney called the incident "an assault."

"The obvious one is he threw some beer on him. But let's say the beer was in his eyes and he got hit in the head. Then, what's the next thing that gets thrown from the stands?" Kenney said.

"It just can't happen for safety reasons and it's just not right."

One of baseball's most-known beer showers also came in Chicago. In the 1959 World Series against the Los Angeles Dodgers, White Sox outfielder Al Smith was at the wall trying to track a home run when a fan's beer sprayed in his face.

The picture of Smith getting doused -- the beer spilled when the fan tried to catch the ball -- remains one of baseball's most famous photos.

Incidents like this happen in a lot of places. It isn't unique to Chicago.

In fact, the first one of these I can remember actually happened right in Cincy in Riverfront Stadium. IIRC, Bob Watson of the Astros went back on a fly to Left and ran into the wall. He hit hard enough that he went down in a heap (I think he actually broke his glasses and had something in his eyes). While he was lying there, several classy Reds' fans poured beer and other stuff over the wall down on top of him. I remember Cesar Cedeno, who was the Astros CF at the time, saying something to the effect of wanting to go after them.

There are a lot of classless scummy people out there. It happens everywhere, and this incident was in the 70s so its not unique to this era either. These fans are awful, but it should not reflect on Chicago or their fans as a whole IMO.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post

In fact, the first one of these I can remember actually happened right in Cincy in Riverfront Stadium. IIRC, Bob Watson of the Astros went back on a fly to Left and ran into the wall. He hit hard enough that he went down in a heap (I think he actually broke his glasses and had something in his eyes). While he was lying there, several classy Reds' fans poured beer and other stuff over the wall down on top of him. I remember Cesar Cedeno, who was the Astros CF at the time, saying something to the effect of wanting to go after them.

There are a lot of classless scummy people out there. It happens everywhere, and this incident was in the 70s so its not unique to this era either. These fans are awful, but it should not reflect on Chicago or their fans as a whole IMO.
    Have you ever sat in the bleachers at wrigley? I'm guessing not. They are, as a whole, a unique brand of vile.

C-Bus (Columbus OH for non-Jim Rome fans)

Man, I really dont want to sound like a prude--but during my trip to Wrigley this year me and the missus had the pleasure of sitting next to three wonderfully inebriated Cub fans. They werent particularly rude but they were horribly obnoxious. The thing that got me was that the tickets (unless they were comped by friends, family or employer) where I was werent cheap. What a waste to spend that kind of jack to order beers every half inning (yes, its true) and yammer incessantly while missing the game. Why not just watch the game at a bar and save the cash?

The saving grace is that after about four innings the drunks (one dude, two women -- nice odds, I guess) left. Those sitting behind me got a good laugh as I rolled my eyes as they exited.

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    Have you ever sat in the bleachers at wrigley? I'm guessing not. They are, as a whole, a unique brand of vile.
    I have. Probably more than you. I've sat next to obnoxious drunks in Pittsburgh, Philly, Detroit .... and even in the front row boxes next to the Reds dugout in Cincy.

Obnoxious people are everywhere. Its a fact of life these days.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Of course there are obnoxious people everywhere. It's the VOLUME of disgusting, obnoxious, boorish behaving drunks and creeps that sets Chicago Cubs fans apart.

I'm amazed if you're really trying to maintain that you'll encounter nearly as much bad/boorish behavior in Pittsburgh as you do in Chicago.

The only fans that come remotely close to the vileness of the Scrubs fans are those residing in Philly.

http://www.astrosdaily.com/players/p...atson_Bob.html
    May 12 1974 - Cincinnati fans hurl beer, ice, cups and insults at an injured Bob Watson after the left-fielder crashes head-first into the fence. It happens in the nightcap of a doubleheader loss at Riverfront. Watson's glasses shatter. He gets twelve stitches to his face at a local hospital.

I have. Probably more than you. I've sat next to obnoxious drunks in Pittsburgh, Philly, Detroit .... and even in the front row boxes next to the Reds dugout in Cincy.

Obnoxious people are everywhere. Its a fact of life these days.
    Truer words have never been spoken.

May 12 1974 - Cincinnati fans hurl beer, ice, cups and insults at an injured Bob Watson after the left-fielder crashes head-first into the fence. It happens in the nightcap of a doubleheader loss at Riverfront. Watson's glasses shatter. He gets twelve stitches to his face at a local hospital.
    Maybe Bob had flipped them off earlier in the game

Turn Off Ads?