Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Danny Herrera

Danny Herrera

Ever think that 15 years from now Herrera may have had the best career of anyone in the famous Hamilton/Volquez trade? I'm not joking.

Herrera just seems to be getting better. He had a little rough patch earlier in the season, but I thought he was being a bit heavily used then. He looked excellent last night.

This is the kind of lefty reliever who could have a very long and productive career in the major leagues. I don't know if he'll ever be a Franco/Orosco who pitches seemingly forever, but I'm glad the Reds asked for him in the trade.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Danny Herrera

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post

This is the kind of lefty reliever who could have a very long and productive career in the major leagues. I don't know if he'll ever be a Franco/Orosco who pitches seemingly forever, but I'm glad the Reds asked for him in the trade.
    I like little lefties finding their home in Cincinnati, very Freddie Norman.

I go back and forth on Danny. I just wonder how often he can get buy throwing up slow junk. I wonder if he will be exposed as the league gets to see him a 2nd or 3rd time.

LOOGYs have 9 lives.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

I think the critical piece for Herrara (and really any pitcher) is Location - if he's hitting his spots and not getting behind on batters, then he's generally sitting in the driver's seat. If he's missing just slightly and getting balls called, he gets into trouble. I guess it's possible that someone's going to decide to just go up there and sit on the first hittable pitch, but that's where the Location comes in, isn't it? Hit the spots, especially on the edges of the zone and it's hard to sit and wait. I'd love to see what his ratio of called strikes versus swing strikes is.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Comps by size

Code:
    REER
    1945-2009

LEFT HANDED PITCHERS
    HEIGHT < 69
    ERA vs. the league average displayed only--not a sorting criteria
    HEIGHT displayed only--not a sorting criteria

GAMES                            G       ERA      HT     
    1    Bobby Shantz                537     0.58   5'6"     
    2    Fred Norman                 403     0.01   5'8"     
    3    Luis Arroyo                 244     0.04   5'8"     
    4    Vic Lombardi                223     0.18   5'7"     
    5    Stubby Overmire             205     -.45   5'7"     
    6    Mickey Haefner              194     0.03   5'8"     
    7    Jackie Collum               171     -.09   5'7"     
    8    Dan Boone                    61     0.20   5'8"     
    9    Shane Nance                  49     -.75   5'8"     
    10   Marv Rotblatt                35     -.59   5'7"     
    T11  Daniel Garibay               30    -1.39   5'8"     
    T11  Fabio Castro                 30     1.19   5'7"     
    13   Takahito Nomura              21    -4.45   5'7"     
    14   Rene Monteagudo              14    -3.64   5'7"     
    15   Max Wilson                    9    -3.42   5'7"     
    16   Daniel Herrera                7    -3.07   5'7"

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Ever think that 15 years from now Herrera may have had the best career of anyone in the famous Hamilton/Volquez trade? I'm not joking.

Herrera just seems to be getting better. He had a little rough patch earlier in the season, but I thought he was being a bit heavily used then. He looked excellent last night.

If this turns out to be the case then well...nothing against Hererra, as I think he can be a serviceable Loogy for a number of years, but it would be an irrelevant trade should he become the best player of the trade. Hopefully Volquez comes back in 2011 with a vengence!

Bum

I'm rooting for Danny Ray but the odds are again 'em.

Here's his ceiling:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...ichhma01.shtml

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post

Here's his ceiling:

11 seasons with a 3.00 ERA and 1.24 WHIP. Not a bad ceiling.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post

Here's his ceiling:

If he has an eleven year career with an ERA of 3.00 that'd be great. Especially since he's lefthanded. I've been a little surprised that he's done so well against LH hitters since his pitch is the screwball

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    11 seasons with a 3.00 ERA and 1.24 WHIP. Not a bad ceiling.

And not bad for a guy who couldn't break a window.

I've been on Danny-Ray's bandwagon all season. If he can consistently throw strikes and improve on his command, he will be fine. I have not seen many hitters hit him this year unless he's gotten into trouble, fallen behind in the count and hung a breaking ball.

A Justin Speier type in the offseason, and a re-emergence of Jared Burton and the Reds' pen could very well be back in business again next season.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    I like little lefties finding their home in Cincinnati, very Freddie Norman.
    Or maybe, John Franco?

I've been on the DRH bandwagon since last year. All he does is get results, and he is an absolute blast to watch. RPs are always volitaile but he was a stud in the minors, he's cheap, and he's been pretty good up here, no reason to think Danny won't be a part of the bullpen for the forseeable future. Just don't box him in as a LOOGY yet.

Enjoy the low cost production and entertainment value of watching him work...for now.

Don't fall in love with him and do silly things like extend contracts and such. Know his role & limitations and work to maximize his strengths. If someone offers you something interesting in trade for him take it and run like the wind.

Turn Off Ads?