Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: More kind words from Dunn as he makes his return to Cincy

More kind words from Dunn as he makes his return to Cincy

The uniform was obviously different and a different color but Adam Dunn hadn't changed a bit. Dunn,the former Reds star and current Nationals first baseman/outfielder, met with the media in the visitor's dugout for a few minutes on Thursday. He teased a couple of people including Ken Broo and Seg Dennison and checked out Great American Ball Park from his new perspective.

"This is the first time I've stepped out here and looked and it looks red," Dunn said. "It's really red out here. It's what I remember."

Although fans often had a love-hate relationship with Dunn (loved the homers, hated the strikeouts, fielding and the team's losing) -- but he harbored zero ill will towards anything or anyone in Cincinnati.

"I'm not bitter at all," Dunn said. "I got an opportunity to play here since 2001. I enjoyed my time here. I met some great people. It's a business. I understand that. I don't hold grudges against anything. It worked out for a reason."

There was a time when Dunn and owner/CEO Bob Castellini were looking to extend Dunn's stay with the Reds but that obviously changed when Dunn was traded to the Diamondbacks just over one year ago. In the off-season, he signed as a free agent with Washington.

"I understand this is a business and that's how it goes," Dunn said of his end with the Reds. "They obviously did what was best for the organization and I still think Mr. Castellini is one of the best people I've met in my life. They'll definitely turn this thing around here. I met a lot of great people here that are hard to replace because you're with them day in and day out for x-amount of years. That's the main thing I miss about it."

http://marksheldon.mlblogs.com/

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: More kind words from Dunn as he makes his return to Cincy

Dunner is a class act. He will always be one of my favorite Reds players off all-time. He's my favorite non-Reds player in the game today. I love that guy. I'm leaving for Cincy in the morning and will be attending the games on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday and I'll be giving Dunn a standing ovation. Hopefully Reds fans give him a warm welcome. He put up some big numbers with the Reds and has never said a bad word about the organization. I hope that someday he returns to Cincy and finishes his career where he started it.

I harbor no ill-will toward the guy. He's a good player. For me, it was time to move on. I'm glad the Reds traded him. He was not going to stay anyhow, so they did what they needed to do.

I like him. I respect him. I will always think it was time to turn the chapter.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

I wish he was still in a Red's uni. it's obvious, looking at this '09 team, that he wasn't the problem. How anyone could think he was simply baffles me.

I've got a couple guys at work that have always hated Adam, for the obvious stereotypical (and illogical) reasons, yet lament the loss of players like Freel, and love players like Rosales. They seem to think hustle is a viable stat.

You trade the caliber of a player like Dunn, then you replace it. This FO didn't.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Definitely curious as to the ovation he'll receive the first time his name's announced.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    Definitely curious as to the ovation he'll receive the first time his name's announced.
    Didn't seem like there was all that much of one did it?

Then again there are like 5 people there.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    I harbor no ill-will toward the guy. He's a good player. For me, it was time to move on. I'm glad the Reds traded him. He was not going to stay anyhow, so they did what they needed to do.

I like him. I respect him. I will always think it was time to turn the chapter.
    Did Dunn tell you that himself?

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    Didn't seem like there was all that much of one did it?

Then again there are like 5 people there.
    I'm not listening or watching, so I have no idea.

But, with low attendance, it doesn't surprise me if those 5 people don't care that his name was announced.

I was at the last three games, and while there wasn't any huge crowds, Dunn did receive a decent ovation when his name was announced. It was fun watching him play again. The home run he hit off Cueto was probably the shortest HR he's hit in his career. It cleared the wall in left by maybe a foot. It couldn't have traveled more than 332 feet. He looked great is just about every atbat. I think he walked like five or six times, was HBP twice, and he hit a couple bullets for doubles today. His OPS is up to .997. Zimmerman/Dunn/Willingham is a dangerous middle of the order. The Nats ripped the Marlins off in that deal. Too bad the Reds didn't get him.

I was there last night and I don't think he got much of an ovation at all to be honest. Certainly nothing compared to other returning 'heroes' in the past like Casey. Hell LaRue got a better hand than the one I heard for Dunn in his 1st AB last night. Granted that was the third game of the series.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    I was there last night and I don't think he got much of an ovation at all to be honest. Certainly nothing compared to other returning 'heroes' in the past like Casey. Hell LaRue got a better hand than the one I heard for Dunn in his 1st AB last night. Granted that was the third game of the series.
    All the people around me in the Moon Deck gave him a decent ovation. I thought there would be quite a few knuckleheads boo him but there really wasn't. I was pleasantly surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    Did Dunn tell you that himself?
    Three different players made remarks to that affect. Bronson Arroyo said "everyone knew he was probably going to ask for $100 million."

I know it's not popular around these parts to say, but Dunn was not going to be an option no matter how it was sliced.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

I'll never get the "it was time to move on" perspective. Why on earth would it be time to move on from a .900 OPS player?
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Dunn's a good guy and a heckuva player. I think the reds really could have used his bat this year, but oh well, what can you do?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    I'll never get the "it was time to move on" perspective. Why on earth would it be time to move on from a .900 OPS player?
    Because both sides werent going to agree, so it was time, we need to accept it, file it and move on, it's down the Ohio now.

Turn Off Ads?