Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mike Vick to the Eagles

Re: Mike Vick to the Eagles

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Bengals made the first offer to Vick

http://twitter.com/Jay_Glazer/status/3307378636
    He would have been better off with the Bengals. Second fiddle to Carson Plamer in a smaller market is a better deal that third string to McNabb in a big market. Plus we all know how the Brown family loves giving folks second chances.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by MJA View Post
    I just hope the people who are so against Vick are also against Pedro Martinez coming back.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/02072008...all_475252.htm

What Pedro did wasn't nearly as bad, but he wasn't contrite about his behavior and his comments seem to indicate that he has participated in cock fighting in the past.
    As you mention what he did wasn't nearly as bad. If Michael Vick had done nothing more than attend a dog fight, or even gamble on it, it would have been a different matter and he might have been suspended for 2 games or maybe not at all.

The fact that he we was so involved in running an illegal dogfighting ring which involved a great number of dogs over the course of a long time frame. Than lied about his involvement makes it a much bigger deal.

C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    He would have been better off with the Bengals. Second fiddle to Carson Plamer in a smaller market is a better deal that third string to McNabb in a big market. Plus we all know how the Brown family loves giving folks second chances.
    From the looks of things, I think Vick is going to play a pretty measurable role in the Eagles offense. Could see them going a lot of different routes with McNabb, Vick, McCoy, and Westbrook.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Yay!

I am as big a dog lover as anyone. For the last 7 years I have rescued, transported, and provided foster homes for retired racing greyhounds. I have no doubt that many of "my dogs" came from awful living conditions, perhaps not as bad as the Vick dogs, but you get the picture.

That said, I don't see what he did as a reason to ruin the man's life/career any further than has already been done. If the Eagles (or anybody else) still thinks he can play, then so be it.

Hopefully he has learned from the events of the past and has grown as a man. I love a good story of redemption and part of me will hate what he did forever, but a part also will be rooting for him as he tries to come back.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

How often does a short prison stay cure socio/psychopaths like Michael Vick? Rarely.

Hopefully the magnifying glass on him will at least be large and bright enough to keep him in line.

Psychopaths also lack empathy towards others in general, resulting in tactlessness, insensitivity, and contemptuousness. All of this belies their tendency to make a good, likable first impression. Psychopaths have a superficial charm about them, enabled by a willingness to say anything without concern for accuracy or truth.

This extends into their pathological lying and willingness to con and manipulate others for personal gain or amusement. The prototypical psychopath's emotions are described as a shallow affect, meaning their overall way of relating is characterized by mere displays of friendliness and other emotion for personal gain; the displayed emotion need not correlate with felt emotion, in other words.

Most research studies of psychopaths have taken place among prison populations. This remains a limitation on its applicability to a general population. Findings indicate psychopathic convicts have a 2.5 time higher probability of being released from jail than undiagnosed ones even though they are more likely to recidivate.[69]

It has been shown that punishment and behavior modification techniques do not improve the behavior of what Hare, and other followers of this theory call a psychopath. Psychopathic individuals have been regularly observed to become more cunning and better able to hide their behaviour. It has been suggested by them traditional therapeutic approaches actually make psychopaths if not worse, then far more adept at manipulating others and concealing their behavior. They are generally considered to be not only incurable but also untreatable.
    Last edited by WMR; 08-14-2009 at 02:59 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Yay!

Has Vick been diagnosed as a socio/psychopath?

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Has Vick been diagnosed as a socio/psychopath?
    If he's not then I don't think anyone is.
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Yay!

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    If he's not then I don't think anyone is.
    Some of his actions have socio/psychopathic tendancies, no doubt, but I'd actually want to sit down with him more than once before I made that determination. Not that I'm a psychologist or a psychiatrist or anything.

Your above statement is a bit rash.

Some of his actions have socio/psychopathic tendancies, no doubt, but I'd actually want to sit down with him more than once before I made that determination. Not that I'm a psychologist or a psychiatrist or anything.

Your above statement is a bit rash.
    Symptoms

Common characteristics of those with psychopathy are:

* Grandiose sense of self-worth
    * Superficial charm
    * Criminal versatility
    * Reckless disregard for the safety of self or others
    * Impulse control problems
    * Irresponsibility
    * Inability to tolerate boredom
    * Pathological narcissism
    * Pathological lying
    * Shallow affect
    * Deceitfulness/manipulativeness
    * Aggressive or violent tendencies, repeated physical fights or assaults on others
    * Lack of empathy
    * Lack of remorse, indifferent to or rationalizes having hurt or mistreated others
    * A sense of extreme entitlement
    * Lack of or diminished levels of anxiety/nervousness and other emotions
    * Promiscuous sexual behavior, sexually deviant lifestyle
    * Poor judgment, failure to learn from experience
    * Lack of personal insight
    * Failure to follow any life plan
    * Abuse of drugs including alcohol
    * Inability to distinguish right from wrong

Could check off, what, 80% of those for Vick? And that's being kind, IMO.

Yay!

Could check off, what, 80% of those for Vick? And that's being kind, IMO.
    Couldn't tell you. Never been around him.

Couldn't tell you. Never been around him.
    LOL

You two would argue with each other over anything. :

Just think about what he was really up to while he was putting on his front as a good guy and face of the Falcons franchise.

Psychopath.

Yay!

LOL
    Seriously... you think you can even judge 80% of those symptoms based on what's being reported?

Yay!

Just think about what he was really up to while he was putting on his front as a good guy and face of the Falcons franchise.

Psychopath.
    I'd say he is trying to make a living the only legal way he knows how... or is allowed to given that he has a felony record now.

Turn Off Ads?