Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mike Vick to the Eagles

Re: Mike Vick to the Eagles

I'm getting the idea WMR won't be buying any Eagles gear this fall.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    Whether or not he deserves to draw a paycheck isn't the issue for me if I'm the commissioner. Neither myself or the NFL owe Mike Vick a damn thing.

I wouldn't want someone who did what Vick did associated with my product.
    Or Tank Johnson, Pacman Jones (if he could find someone crazy enought to sign him), Ray Lewis, et al...

Why did those guys get 2nd chances?
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Or Tank Johnson, Pacman Jones (if he could find someone crazy enought to sign him), Ray Lewis, et al...

Why did those guys get 2nd chances?
    well... Ray Lewis was found not guilty.

Pacman Jones would be right next to Vick in the unemployment line if it was up to me.

What did Tank do again? He had a big stockpile of weapons in his home, correct? Certainly dumb, but I wouldn't banish him permanently because of it.

You don't do what Vick did, and do it over and over and over and over, without something inside of you being irrevocably broken. His apologies would be excellent lining for a litter box.
    Time will tell. Time will tell.

I can say this from being around quite a few ex-offenders over the years... People who are given a chance to make amends on some level are way less likely to "reoffend" than those who are shunned.

well... Ray Lewis was found not guilty.

Pacman Jones would be right next to Vick in the unemployment line if it was up to me.

What did Tank do again? He had a big stockpile of weapons in his home, correct? Certainly dumb, but I wouldn't banish him permanently because of it.
    Lewis plead guilty to Obstruction and turned rat against his two pals.

Tank had the weapons charge and violated his probation. He must be a sociopath.

Lewis plead guilty to Obstruction and turned rat against his two pals.

Tank had the weapons charge and violated his probation. He must be a sociopath.

If you want to have a discussion, don't try to obfuscate my opinions in the process.

See my big thing is not only is what Vick did terrible and nearly unforgivable, but I don't think he was much of a quarterback to begin with. Outside of helping the Falcons to the 2004 NFC championship game Vick wasn't very good at all. His completion percentage was crap and he routinely overthrew his receivers. And remember all the "It's not his fault! The Falcons have terrible receivers!" claims? Roddy White's numbers sure as hell say otherwise.

I figure he could probably be good in certain formations and as an offensive weapon, but it would take a lot of skill to turn him into a regular every-down quarterback at this point. But really, I don't see why anyone would want him on their team after what he did.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Could check off, what, 80% of those for Vick? And that's being kind, IMO.
    80% of those apply to almost every professional athlete in the world. With the exception of Brett Favre (who just loves playin' football with his buddies in the mud while wearing jeans) and of course "Prince" Albert Pujols, the latter-day Santa Claus.

Quote Originally Posted by dsmith421 View Post
    80% of those apply to almost every professional athlete in the world. With the exception of Brett Favre (who just loves playin' football with his buddies in the mud while wearing jeans) and of course "Prince" Albert Pujols, the latter-day Santa Claus.
    Agreed. Like I said, it's a sliding scale.

If you want to have a discussion, don't try to obfuscate my opinions in the process.
    Just saying, if you're going to ban people from the league without giving them a 2nd chance, you're going to have to draw a line somewhere.

Killing people? Already crossed... Obstructing justice when people are killed? Already crossed... Having an unregistered arsenal, associating with all manner of criminals, drug possession, DUIs? Crossed, crossed, crossed, and crossed.

I would never try to defend what Vick has done. Did he deserve the punishment he's already received? Absolutely. But to take away an opportunity to make amends and make a living, even though he could very well screw it up... I can't go for that.

Just saying, if you're going to ban people from the league without giving them a 2nd chance, you're going to have to draw a line somewhere.

Killing people? Already crossed... Obstructing justice when people are killed? Already crossed... Having an unregistered arsenal, associating with all manner of criminals, drug possession, DUIs? Crossed, crossed, crossed, and crossed.

I would never try to defend what Vick has done. Did he deserve the punishment he's already received? Absolutely. But to take away an opportunity to make amends and make a living, even though he could very well screw it up... I can't go for that.
    I understand your opinion and respect it. I just happen to disagree in this instance. No biggie. Not like we ever agree on much anyway.

Vick is worse than all those. Stallworth and Little had/have very serious drinking problems, and their behavior was grossly negligent, but they never intended the outcome of their behavior. Both common sense and the legal system recognize the chasm between willful and negligent actions.

I just wanted to remind people that what is immoral in some parts of the country is commonplace, almost tradition, in other parts of the country. The man served his time. If he screws up he'll be gone and professional football will become only a memory for him. I'm sure he's been told this. It's up to him.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    I just wanted to remind people that what is immoral in some parts of the country is commonplace, almost tradition, in other parts of the country.
    In which part of the country is it commonplace or traditional to sadistically torture and mutilate dogs? I'm genuinely curious.

I was specifically referring to the dog fighting and only the dog fighting. All I'm saying is that the guy did his time. If you want to complain about criminals in pro sports well that's not exactly news. Philly will be playing at Atlanta on Sun, Dec 6. I'm sure there will be people that will only care about how hard Vick is hit. But I don't care that much about the sideshow. I just hope it's a good game.

Turn Off Ads?