Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on Phillips to SS

Thoughts on Phillips to SS

I love this idea and don't see why everyone is so concerned on whether the guy can play the position. Until maybe 3-4 years ago when he was moved to 2B by the Indians, he was a SS and a damn good one at that. The only reason he was moved was because they have Peralta coming up and didn't think he could play 2nd. Phillips has the range, the arm, and the IQ to play SS because he has played there before. If he plays short next season, that allows Frazier to start at 2B for us all year and add another solid power bat without spending money.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Thoughts on Phillips to SS

Remember, Frazier is only in AA. No one really has an idea if he can hit or defend at the MLB level. Let him get some time at AAA before annointing him the second baseman of the future.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

I think this last part of the season makes for a perfect chance to experiment with Brandon at shortstop. I would rather do it now than wait until next spring and the beginning of the season then realize it isn't going to work there. Something I wish the Reds would have done with Adam Dunn at 1B.

Two words here: Pokey Reese.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Meaning?
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Pokey actually came up as a shortstop and was very good in the Reds minor leagues. He couldn't make it with the Reds at that position because of Larkin. They moved him to second and the 1999 team was very good up the middle.

Pokey Reese never had the bat Phillips has

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    Pokey Reese never had the bat Phillips has
    Agree 100%!

Moving Phillips to SS all depends on if hes able to play above average D and how above average he can play.

Meaning Pokey Reese was the best fielding second baseman I have ever seen, certainly better than Brandon Phillips, and he could not transition to shortstop.

BP would be just fine at SS.

And even frazier isnt ready. Its much easier to find a 2b than it is a good SS.

Phillips can play great anywhere. It's just that there aren't any Shortstops available in the near future on the Free Agent market....BECAUSE THERE ISN'T ANY FREE AGENT MONEY THANKS TO THE IDIOTIC SCOTT ROLEN TRADE!

I would love to see Phillips back at SS. He has the athletic ability to move back. Would he have the arm to play it? He would go from being a top 3 overall second basemen to a head above all the other SS, if he has the arm for it (I havent had a chance to see him play it). Its a risk worth taking, will the Reds or Duhhsty do it? Thats yet to be seen. It would make a huge hole much smaller if Phillips could stick at SS.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Phillips can play great anywhere. It's just that there aren't any Shortstops available in the near future on the Free Agent market....BECAUSE THERE ISN'T ANY FREE AGENT MONEY THANKS TO THE IDIOTIC SCOTT ROLEN TRADE!
    Because of the Scott Rolen trade it might be an easier transition to shortstop for BP. Rolen is athletic and gets to balls that many 3B don't get to.

I think Phillips is very capable of playing SS. I think what the reds are really looking for is a franchise SS. We have been spoiled by the likes of Davey Concepcion and Barry Larkin. I think the real question is he capable of being the franchise SS.
    "I notice that I'm throwing hard when I hear the crowd gasping," - Chapman

Turn Off Ads?