Scoring Summary
    Top 5th: Washington
    - R. Belliard homered to deep left

Top 7th: Washington
    - W. Nieves homered to deep right

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 8/14/09 Reds vs Nats

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    Why not lead off with Sutton PH'ing for Tatum, and Hanigan PH'ing for Cordero?
    That would hurt Tatum's feelings

Quote Originally Posted by CaiGuy View Post
    That would hurt Tatum's feelings
    Tatum's .129 batting average hurts my feelings!
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

I didn't get to see todays game but it looks like Harang had another good start.
    Checking out the game logs this was the first start this season that Mock didn't give up a run.

Shut out by the Nationals? with Mock starting?

How'd we have 8 hits and 4 walks and score no stinking runs?

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    How'd we have 8 hits and 4 walks and score no stinking runs?
    I will speculate, speculation because we can't prove causation.

Mark Berry sending Harang to end a potential rally hurt, and the next AB for Votto who was on deck when Berry sent Harang, who was out at home, Votto singled in that next AB. They might have scored a run with Votto if the bases had remained loaded, maybe not.

It doesn't help to have low on base percentage batters receiving the most PA and AB in the one and two holes either. Though I must add that Willy T had a good night going 2 for four with a walk I believe.
    Last edited by Spring~Fields; 08-14-2009 at 11:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spring~Fields View Post

Mark Berry sending Harang to end a potential rally hurt, and the next AB for Votto who was on deck when Berry sent Harang, who was out at home, Votto singled in that next AB. They might have scored a run with Votto if the bases had remained loaded, maybe not.

It doesn't help to have low on base percentage batters receiving the most PA and AB in the one and two holes either. Though I must add that Willy T had a good night going 2 for four with a walk I believe.
    Thanks, Spring-Fields, I was out and missed the game. Sounds like more of the same.

Well, just rolled back into Central Ohio after going to this gem. The offense is putrid, was on the way back from the bathroom when Nieves hit his homer, so not sure what happened with that.

We had left field seats four rows up from the wall right by the bullpen. We hadn't been there 5 minutes and balls were clanging off the seats in BP. One of the Nats (#60 Martin IIRC) tossed a ball my boys' way and my wife caught it, so they were pretty excited about that. But they did not seek autographs

I did get to heckle both CFers, class act that I am. Got to yell at Willy to fire the ball to first next time after he almost botched the DP with a wimpy toss to first after Janish deked Morgan. Then, when Nyjer let Harang's ball fall in, I yelled "its mine, mine, mine Nyjer." Later in the game I reminded him not to forget to call it. All without a $7 beer! There was a drunk yelling unintelligible gibberish at Herrera from the pavilion in center though. That was nice.

My wife wanted to know why that little boy was in the bullpen. I informed her that was Daniel Ray Herrera. He warmed up, had hoped to see him make hitters look silly in person, but he never made it in.

I will say that the fireworks show was top notch. We all really enjoyed that, so at least since there were no offensive fireworks
    Last edited by traderumor; 08-15-2009 at 01:59 AM.

Harang was one step past third when Morgan started his throwing motion. There was no way Berry should have had an idea to send him.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Well, just rolled back into Central Ohio after going to this gem. The offense is putrid, was on the way back from the bathroom when Nieves hit his homer, so not sure what happened with that.

We had left field seats four rows up from the wall right by the bullpen. We hadn't been there 5 minutes and balls were clanging off the seats in BP. One of the Nats (#60 Martin IIRC) tossed a ball my boys' way and my wife caught it, so they were pretty excited about that. But they did not seek autographs

I did get to heckle both CFers, class act that I am. Got to yell at Willy to fire the ball to first next time after he almost botched the DP with a wimpy toss to first after Janish deked Morgan. Then, when Nyjer let Harang's ball fall in, I yelled "its mine, mine, mine Nyjer." Later in the game I reminded him not to forget to call it. All without a $7 beer! There was a drunk yelling unintelligible gibberish at Herrera from the pavilion in center though. That was nice.

My wife wanted to know why that little boy was in the bullpen. I informed her that was Daniel Ray Herrera. He warmed up, had hoped to see him make hitters look silly in person, but he never made it in.

I will say that the fireworks show was top notch. We all really enjoyed that, so at least since there were no offensive fireworks

Cincinnati 9th Inning Summary

- M. MacDougal relieved J. Bergmann
    - C. Tatum grounded out to second
    - D. Sutton hit for F. Cordero
    - D. Sutton grounded out to shortstop
    - W. Taveras grounded out to second

Final

Washington 2, Reds 0

Scoring Summary
    Top 5th: Washington
    - R. Belliard homered to deep left

Top 7th: Washington
    - W. Nieves homered to deep right

Great Job with the summaries

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    I thought he was on target in his analysis of Taveras in the first inning. (And I am not one to bash Willy. Brantley just said that Taveras has been a disappointment on the basepaths, with which I agree.)
    Was that the inning where Brantley made the 17 pitch comment then Taveras finally went as strike three ended the inning?
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Harang was one step past third when Morgan started his throwing motion. There was no way Berry should have had an idea to send him.
    Wow Morgan has a better arm than I was aware of and Harang is even slower than I knew. I guess they should have went with conservatism and held Harang at third, with the positive expectation that Votto who was due up next would come through for them. Of course then that would have taken a focused awareness of the present moment.

Glad you enjoyed the rationality of the inebriated, and the fireworks that followed. Wish I could have seen all that.

Alas I believe that the Reds have talked and thought themselves into low run support for Harang and are achieving self fulfilling prophecies.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Was that the inning where Brantley made the 17 pitch comment then Taveras finally went as strike three ended the inning?
    Yes.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

You know, regardless of the outcome and how bad a team was fielded last night, it was still a MLB game, even though the two teams are arguably MLB and more like AAA teams right now. Our family had a great time, we had great seats, I forgot to mention that the ticket agent insisted that we had a AAA membership that saved my father-in-law $5 per tickets, and my boys were treasuring their BP ball today. Going to a live game certainly keeps the love affair alive and well.

Still, I cannot wait to go see a good Reds team play again. It could happen.........I think.

Turn Off Ads?