Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: EPL 2009/2010 Season

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

EPL 2009/2010 Season

Since it hasn't been started yet, I thought I would put the English Premier League thread out there. I always enjoy some the breakdowns that Redszoners put out there on the prospects for the season. Any thoughts M2? WMR? NJReds? Betterread? anyone else?
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Re: EPL 2009/2010 Season

By the way, I'm watching Everton play Arsenal, 0-4. For those that were saying Arsenal would be on the downward trend after their transfer season losses, it doesn't seem like it in this first game.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

That 17 year old (Jack Wilshere) for Arsenal looked way impressive in the friendlies I saw.

I'm extremely interested to see ManU post-Ronaldo.

I always enjoy reading m2's prem league write-ups.

Also, can Man City dethrone one of the historical "big 4"??

They've spent loads of money to attempt to do just that...

Geez, Everton 0-6 Arsenal

Has Timmy let in ALL of those goals??

Yes, unfortunately. Louis Saha just scored a consolation goal to end it 1-6.

Ouch. How did Howard look? Were they goals that he should have stopped or was Arsenal just that much better than Everton?

There's a bit of a growing concern towards Howard's seeming inclination to get beat from distance amongst US soccer fans...

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    Ouch. How did Howard look? Were they goals that he should have stopped or was Arsenal just that much better than Everton?

There's a bit of a growing concern towards Howard's seeming inclination to get beat from distance amongst US soccer fans...
    I didn't see all of them, the ones I didn't see were ones where the Everton D broke down and let Arsenal get in good shots. The last one was put in on a rebound off the post. From what I saw, it looked like Tim might still be feeling the effects of the Mexico trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    I didn't see all of them, the ones I didn't see were ones where the Everton D broke down and let Arsenal get in good shots. The last one was put in on a rebound off the post. From what I saw, it looked like Tim might still be feeling the effects of the Mexico trip.
    Just wanted to update this after watching the highlights. Looks like most of the goals came from set pieces or bits of wizardry from Cesc Fabergas. Longest goal was from just outside the box. I don't know how it makes you feel about Howard's performance, but it looked like Everton's back four some issues of their own.

In other "Americans in the EPL" news, Clint Dempsey's shot deflects off Bobby Zamora to get past David James, giving Fulham the lone tally in their win over Portsmouth.

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post

I'm an Arsenal fan and watched the entire match. Howard didn't do much wrong, his defense simply had holes throughout.

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    I'm an Arsenal fan and watched the entire match. Howard didn't do much wrong, his defense simply had holes throughout.
    Agreed. Arsenal's new 4-3-3 formation worked like a dream yesterday, Everton looked slow, disinterested, and disorganized. The pundits have been awful quick to dismiss Arsenal this season--not only as a title contender but also as a Top Four finisher. I still think the Gooners need an addition or two for squad depth before the window closes, but I'm more sanguine about our chances this season than anytime since Henry left.

[QUOTE=dsmith421;1952113]Agreed. Arsenal's new 4-3-3 formation worked like a dream yesterday, Everton looked slow, disinterested, and disorganized. The pundits have been awful quick to dismiss Arsenal this season--not only as a title contender but also as a Top Four finisher. I still think the Gooners need an addition or two for squad depth before the window closes, but I'm more sanguine about our chances this season than anytime since Henry left.[/QUOTE
    When they're on their game, Arsenal plays the prettiest football in the EPL. This was a convincing win, obviously. But who is their main striker, and what will they do to replace Cesc, when he leaves (maybe soon - Milan wants him)? I'm unconvinced about their title chances until they grind out some results in Spring 2010 when they need must have points.

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    When they're on their game, Arsenal plays the prettiest football in the EPL. This was a convincing win, obviously. But who is their main striker, and what will they do to replace Cesc, when he leaves (maybe soon - Milan wants him)? I'm unconvinced about their title chances until they grind out some results in Spring 2010 when they need must have points.
    1. Cesc is not leaving anytime soon, and when he does it will be for Barcelona. Wenger has been very clear about his refusal to accept any offer and Fabregas just signed a new contract. My guess is that he's at Arsenal for two more seasons minimum.

2. Arsenal don't really have a 'main' striker, but between Arshavin, van Persie, Eduardo, Bendtner and some of the youngsters (Vela, Walcott) they will score enough goals to compete. The problem is going to be keeping them out, particularly if either Gallas or Vermaelen get hurt.

Turn Off Ads?