Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Last 50 games for Laynce Nix

Last 50 games for Laynce Nix

.212/.270/.336 That makes out a .606 OPS.

over those 50 games he has started 34 of them

It's not just 50 games either but it was just a nice round number for me to use. Its time to stop giving him so much playing time or find another option. He had a good 1st month but has been petty putrid ever since.
    Last edited by GIDP; 08-15-2009 at 04:59 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Last 50 games for Laynce Nix

4th/5th outfielder on most other teams. Starting outfielder for us.

We feature a lot of guys that wouldn't see the time of day on good big league ball clubs.

It's inspirational and all that he worked so hard to come back and play after his injury history, but I've watched him. I don't think he's anything more than a backup outfielder.

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post

To expect anything more going into the season was not realistic...

A season that showed such promise was turned into a disaster by Castellini, Jockety, and Baker.

A 2010 season that showed such promise was turned into a disaster by Castellini, Jockety, and Baker.

If I lived in the Cincinnati area, I'd never go to a REDS game this year or next year, I'd travel down to Louisville and watch them....much, much more entertaining....and better seats, probably,....and the same talent, but the opponent isn't as talented....and a 10 times better Manager. He actually has a guy lead off who gets on base. What a concept!
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 08-15-2009 at 06:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mlh1981 View Post
    We feature a lot of guys that wouldn't see the time of day on good big league ball clubs.
    Ain't that the truth. On bad clubs, they wouldn't see the clubhouse.

Nix has just had way too much playing time is what I was trying to get at. The guy is a good outfielder and can hit decently but hes been ran out there way too much even if you consider some injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post

If I lived in the Cincinnati area, I'd never go to a REDS game this year or next year, I'd travel down to Louisville and watch them....much, much more entertaining....and better seats, probably,....and the same talent, but the opponent isn't as talented....and a 10 times better Manager. He actually has a guy lead off who gets on base. What a concept!
    I feel the same way, but you know at the end of the day, we all drink the koolaid that is spring training.

So and so "rededicated" themselves to the game. So and so lost weight, added weight, changed their workout program, feels inner peace, etc. You know how the stories are around February/March.

Spring comes, opening day comes, we feel rejuvenated. We are suckers to all this every year, and keep coming back for more. :

Huh? What happened to all of the "We don't need a REAL LF-er, we have Gomes and Nix OPS-ing a combined .900+!"

Can't believe it didn't last all season.

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

Well Gomes and nix still are over .800 combined and considering Nix D is worlds better than Dunn and Gomes is probably equal or only slightly worse... but then again I wouldnt expect you to even know how to quote or understand context.
    Last edited by GIDP; 08-15-2009 at 07:28 PM.

but then again I wouldnt expect you to even know how to quote or understand context.
    Care to explain the context here?

considering Nix D is worlds better than Gomes and Gomes is probably equal or only slightly worse...
    PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

Atleast I'm an Orange...

At this point, I'm starting to think Louisville would make a better MLB team than us. Just plain sad...

Nix has just had way too much playing time is what I was trying to get at. The guy is a good outfielder and can hit decently but hes been ran out there way too much even if you consider some injuries.
    Yep, he'd be useful as a bench player. His D is good enough to play in CF in a pinch.

I'd like to see Balentien in RF and Gomes in LF until Bruce comes back. That way we might be able to tell if either would be useful in 2010. Dickerson in center would be nice too, but let's be realistic here

I like Gomes as a 4th OF'er and Pinch Hitter... But heres the deal... Signing guys like Alex Gonzalez, Jerry Hariston, Jonny Gomes, Laynce Nix, Corey Patterson, Paul Bako, Josh Fogg i never going to do anything... Just the same thing over and over again...

Oh and Dickerson is not a Starting Outfielder for the Major Leagues... We have like 5 4th Outfielders on this Roster...

We don't know what we have in Balentien until he plays 150 Games in 1 full season... Like all of 2010...

I am comfy going with Bruce in RIGHT, and Balentien in LEFT, but this team needs to Add an Impact CF... Like a Grady Sizemore...

Dickerson easily could be a starting CF for a lot of clubs. He plays good smart defense and understands the value of a walk enough that he isnt going to go into totally worthless slumps like a free swinger.

Dickersons OPS is .737 and the ML average is .757.

His OBP is 30 points higher than the averages also.

I think its safe to say he would at least be a viable option to be in center, and especially part of a platoon, for a lot of ML teams considering his whole package.

Ok, maybe the Royals, Pirates, and Nationals would start him.

It's not just 50 games either but it was just a nice round number for me to use. Its time to stop giving him so much playing time or find another option. He had a good 1st month but has been petty putrid ever since.
    I was thinking the numbers couldn't be good for him over the last couple of months but didn't realize how bad they were. It is definitely time for him to see less time. However with the injuries to Bruce and Dickerson he was bound to get more at bats.

Turn Off Ads?