Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Rosales Wins Award

Re: Rosales Wins Award

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    Right. My point is, and it should be obvious, sometimes in this game, guys come along that don't necessarily have the natural talent to succeed, yet by their drive and desire, they excel despite their skill level. Pete Rose was one of those. I'd say Kirby Puckett was another. Rosales may be one of those guys. We can't really tell from 184 ABs. His minor league numbers look good. He plays hard, but I don't view him as someone who plays recklessly a la Ryan Freel, someone who is going to continue finding his way to the DL due to his hard play. Rosales looks to me like someone who, while scrappy and hustling, also knows how to play smart baseball. I know his defense is lacking at times, but the kid tries so hard, he may just get it on desire alone.
    All the above is true. But IMO, even if given the time, he still ain't gonna morph into a player anywhere near a Pete Rose just because he hustles.

And Pete Rose didn't look like Lewis. :
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    All the above is true. But IMO, even if given the time, he still ain't gonna morph into a player anywhere near a Pete Rose just because he hustles.
    I don't expect we'll ever see a player anywhere near a Pete Rose, but Rosales could still be a good to very good major leaguer.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

I don't expect we'll ever see a player anywhere near a Pete Rose, but Rosales could still be a good to very good major leaguer.
    Playing what position?

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    Playing what position?
    Where he's most needed. That may not be the same position year after year.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Where he's most needed. That may not be the same position year after year.
    How many no stick utilitymen do you know that are good major leaguers?

Typically good major leaguers have a set position or two, rather than all over the IF, and possibly some OF.

I'm not saying he's not versatile or useful off the bench as a warm body, but IMO Rosales isn't a starting caliber major leaguer.

I'm not saying he's not versatile or useful off the bench as a warm body, but IMO Rosales isn't a starting caliber major leaguer.
    You're basing your opinion on 184 ABs. What's that term we like to throw around here? Oh yeah, small sample size.

High five!

You're basing your opinion on 184 ABs. What's that term we like to throw around here? Oh yeah, small sample size.
    The problem is, he plays for the offensively challenged Reds. Can they afford to give him the remaining 400 or so ABs we'd need to see an OK sample size?

He's an OK guy to have on the bench...and when I say on the bench, I'm talking single cheek here.

He could make a deal with the devil in the offseason, I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    The problem is, he plays for the offensively challenged Reds. Can they afford to give him the remaining 400 or so ABs we'd need to see an OK sample size?
    They lose without him in the lineup, they can just as easily lose with him in the lineup.

We cry about trading Zach Stewart, like we just dealt the next John Smoltz, while he's done absolutely nothing at the major league level. We have already confirmed that Adam Rosales isn't a major league hitter after 184 at bats.

Sometimes I have to ask myself, if so many of us are such great judges of talent, why aren't we working in baseball instead of posting on a message board?

We cry about trading Zach Stewart, like we just dealt the next John Smoltz, while he's done absolutely nothing at the major league level. We have already confirmed that Adam Rosales isn't a major league hitter after 184 at bats.
    When he was called up he was treated like the love child of Chris Denofria and Jim Coombs. He was hitting .380 in LOU. The point is that we overvalue our minor leaguers because we haven't seen them play every day. Once we do, our judgement tends to be harsher because they don't live up to the hype.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    When he was called up he was treated like the love child of Chris Denofria and Jim Coombs. He was hitting .380 in LOU. The point is that we overvalue our minor leaguers because we haven't seen them play every day. Once we do, our judgement tends to be harsher because they don't live up to the hype.
    It's like an epidemic among Reds' fans.

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC View Post
    That is hardly his fault, or Dusty's fault for that matter, yet folks continue to bash on him. Injuries have caused him to play much more than he would have ever got to play, otherwise. It may be a good thing, as there is nothing left to lose in this season. His added experience this season may prove to be a very valuable puzzle piece for the bench, next season, if the Reds can do some work over the off-season and put a few quality pieces in place.

But then again........................ all that might just get in the way of a good ol' redszone bash.
    I'm not bashing Rosales. I just don't believe he has enough talent to play everyday.

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    I don't know. Jay Bruce seems to be on scholarship.

He hasn't shown me anything in 184 ABs that I like about his offensive game, and I don't see him magically improving or changing his plate approach or things of that nature to become a different guy with a bat.

He needs to be a different guy with a bat than who he currently is, wouldn't you say?

He hasn't shown me anything in 184 ABs that I like about his offensive game, and I don't see him magically improving or changing his plate approach or things of that nature to become a different guy with a bat.

He needs to be a different guy with a bat than who he currently is, wouldn't you say?
    After the aliens come, all Adam will have to do is say "Shazam," and he'll turn into Captain Marvel. You'll see a different plate approach then, just be patient.

They lose without him in the lineup, they can just as easily lose with him in the lineup.

Sometimes I have to ask myself, if so many of us are such great judges of talent, why aren't we working in baseball instead of posting on a message board?
    I don't know how you can post things like this, but then at the same time, scoff at people who suggest that based on an entire minor league career of being "not sufficient for the major leagues", that Justin Lehr is suddenly a viable rotation candidate because he's posted 3 decent results based starts. It's just completely inconsistent logic.

Turn Off Ads?