Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Exciting Race Shaping Up

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Re: Exciting Race Shaping Up

Quote Originally Posted by Topcat View Post
    If Boras does not accept this offer then this kid got royally screwed . You have to be a moron not to realize how much cash this is and how this kids future is secure from day 1. Leave ego aside and do right by your client.
    What if the client believes the hype spewed by the agent?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    Is it bad that I'm rooting against the Reds in hopes for a high draft pick?
    Yep, it's bad karma.

I like my teams to back into situations like that, not kick the door down

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    What if the client believes the hype spewed by the agent?
    Exactly. I don't feel bad for Strasburg one bit. If he wanted he could go straight to Boras, say "You're out, pal" and get the deal done.

Tony Gwynn is someone that this guy has looked up and he was his manager....maybe he could/would talk some sense into him?

I can smell it in the air...
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

The Nats now have a better pythag than the Reds. Only the Padres and Royals are worse.

Though the Pirates have successfully purged themselves of almost all major league talent on the roster, positioning them for a sprint to the bottom.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    The Nats now have a better pythag than the Reds. Only the Padres and Royals are worse.

Though the Pirates have successfully purged themselves of almost all major league talent on the roster, positioning them for a sprint to the bottom.
    They have joined forces in a three-legged race. When they play each other, we are going to call it a scrimmage.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    They have joined forces in a three-legged race. When they play each other, we are going to call it a scrimmage.
    Or a split-squad game, given the "talent" on each of their respective rosters.

Now that Strasburg is signed, why is it that I am feeling that he will not have a memorable major league career? I guess it is because I just read the Matt Harrington story over on the minor league forum, and it seems that the likelihood of success is inversely related to the hype accompanying high priced pitching draft picks. From Mark Prior to Todd Van Poppel to everything in between.

I am sure there are 100 reasons that Strasburg is different and his Cooperstown bust has been commissioned, but having followed the game all these years, I'm thinking a different kind of bust is written all over this one.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Now that Strasburg is signed, why is it that I am feeling that he will not have a memorable major league career? I guess it is because I just read the Matt Harrington story over on the minor league forum, and it seems that the likelihood of success is inversely related to the hype accompanying high priced pitching draft picks. From Mark Prior to Todd Van Poppel to everything in between.

I am sure there are 100 reasons that Strasburg is different and his Cooperstown bust has been commissioned, but having followed the game all these years, I'm thinking a different kind of bust is written all over this one.
    Don't forget Brien Taylor, Ben McDonald, Ryan Anderson, Matt White, and Matt Anderson.
    Go BLUE!!!

if the season ended today, the reds would get the 6th overall pick. and not by much. as of right now...very much in the running for the 3rd overall pick.

i don't think realistically the reds will lose more games than the nats and i doubt they lose more than KC (though it's possible). but the 3rd pick...wow.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Don't forget Brien Taylor, Ben McDonald, Ryan Anderson, Matt White, and Matt Anderson.
    You didn't even drop in a Mark Prior either... Prior is a guy I see him having a career like. Absolutely dominant out of the shoot, but I don't think he will hold up in the long haul.

Yet folks still languish over not picking Lincecum (note to mods: we need an "opens can of worms" emoticon)

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    if the season ended today, the reds would get the 6th overall pick. and not by much. as of right now...very much in the running for the 3rd overall pick.

i don't think realistically the reds will lose more games than the nats and i doubt they lose more than KC (though it's possible). but the 3rd pick...wow.
    We're up to the 5th pick now... just .002 behind San Diego. I didn't think it would get this bad either, but I don't think anyone could have predicted the number of injuries this team has sustained.

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

On July 4, the Reds improved to 40-39 after winning in St. Louis. The next day they fell to St. Louis 10-1 and the Philly-Cueto game was next. Since July 4, the Reds are 11-32.

On July 10 @ NY Mets the Reds won and went to 42-43. In the first inning the next day Jay Bruce broke his wrist. They have gone 9-29 with Bruce out.

On May 28 the Reds sat 26-20. they were 1 1/2 games from first with a 7 game trip to St. Louis and Milwaukee coming up. "We go on the road with some momentum," [Jay Bruce] said. "We plan on coming back in first place." The Reds have gone 25-51 since.
    Last edited by klw; 08-23-2009 at 08:38 AM.

Turn Off Ads?