Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 34

Thread: rank the Reds needs

  1. #1
    Brett William Moore Will M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Crescent Springs KY
    Posts
    3,601

    rank the Reds needs

    As the final trade deadline and offseason approach I have been thinking about what the Reds need to be a winning team.I would love to add Lackey, Harden, Holliday, O Hudson,etc,etc but that ain't gonna happen unless Warren Buffett buys the team. As ORG members know the team has limited resources (money for free agents and prospects for trade) so they can't fill every need as well as we fans would like. So what is YOUR ranking of the Reds' needs? Below is mine.

    Note - this thread is about the 25 man roster for 2010 and beyond. Plesae don't list 'fire Dusty' or 'fire Walt'.

    #1 - a shortstop. pretty simple, we have no one in the system who can man the position as a regular for 2010. Cozart is a nice prospect but I think we would do him a disservice by having him skip AAA.

    Note: if Phillips were to move to SS we would need a player to play 2B in 2010 as the Reds don't seem to be fast tracking Frazier. My guess is he starts 2010 in AAA.

    #2 - Another starting pitcher. Right now our rotation is Harang (ERA+ 103), Cueto (ERA+ 97), Arroyo (ERA+ 94), Owings (ERA+ 83) & Bailey (ERA+ 60). Yikes!!! Lets assume Cueto skips winter ball & Bailey improves for 2010. IMO the rotation still looks mighty shaky. Who else do we have? Wood is a nice prospect but I bet he starts 2010 in AAA. Maloney seems to be out of favor by the Reds brass. Maybe because of the flyballs. He could be trade bait this winter.

    So pretty much any SP with an ERA+ of 100 or better would help the team.

    IMO Volquez should NOT be counted on in 2010. Anything he gives us is a plus. His estimated return time is somewhere between 5/1/2010 & 8/1/2010. Pitchers one year from TJ surgery are not nearly as strong as they are 2 years after TJ surgery. Plus he didn't just have TJ surgery, he had some mass removed from the forearm muscles. Doesn't sound good.

    #3 - Left fielder/stud hitter. for me this ranks below another SP. if the choice was Holliday and the rotation we have vs Lackey with Gomes in LF I'll' take Lackey. if the choice was a league average LF and the rotation we have vs an ERA+ 100 SP with Gomes in LF I'll' still take the pitcher.
    Don't get me wrong. If Bob C opens up the wallet big time I'll take a SS, a TOR starter & a stud hitter for LF. I just feel we don't have those resources and we would be better off trying to fill the LF void cheaper.
    IMO the Reds should keep Gomes (2010 cost $2-3M) and look for a LH bat for LF. Play Gomes in vs LHP (~40 games) and sit either the new LH bat or Bruce vs LHP. CF is manned by Dickerson and either Heisey or Stubbs.

    #4 - 2nd catcher. Hanigan is a nice player but having him as the #1 catcher with either Tatum or some Paul Bako type backup won't cut it. I'd like the team to sign some veteran catcher who can handle the position defensively & OPS+ 90. .

    #5 - adding another middle reliever. with the recent trades of 3 pitchers the pen is a bit thin. adding a decent vet for a 2 year/$4M deal (like Rhodes last year) seems like a solid addition to the team
    .

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Five Tool Fool jojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    18,952

    Re: rank the Reds needs

    #1: Get smarter quick.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

  4. #3
    THAT'S A FACT JACK!! GAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Bellefontaine, Ohio
    Posts
    26,672

    Re: rank the Reds needs

    Couldn't we just keep "copying and paste" this every year?
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

  5. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    13,739

    Re: rank the Reds needs

    Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post

    #3 - Left fielder/stud hitter. for me this ranks below another SP. if the choice was Holliday and the rotation we have vs Lackey with Gomes in LF I'll' take Lackey. if the choice was a league average LF and the rotation we have vs an ERA+ 100 SP with Gomes in LF I'll' still take the pitcher.
    Don't get me wrong. If Bob C opens up the wallet big time I'll take a SS, a TOR starter & a stud hitter for LF. I just feel we don't have those resources and we would be better off trying to fill the LF void cheaper.
    IMO the Reds should keep Gomes (2010 cost $2-3M) and look for a LH bat for LF. Play Gomes in vs LHP (~40 games) and sit either the new LH bat or Bruce vs LHP. CF is manned by Dickerson and either Heisey or Stubbs.
    The Reds play in a hitter's stadium. They have a teamwide OPS of .693 as of today. That is tied for the worst in the NL. The worst.

    The pitching overall is middle of the pack. The defense is above average. When you consider their stadium, the Reds' offense is a contender for the worst in baseball. It very likely is the worst in the National League.

    The obvious and overwhelming team need is offense. The Reds need a power hitter for the middle of the lineup and somebody who can get on base.
    Last edited by Kc61; 08-17-2009 at 09:09 PM.

  6. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,558

    Re: rank the Reds needs

    Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    The Reds play in a hitter's stadium. They have a teamwide OPS of .693 as of today. That is tied for the worst in the NL. The worst.

    The pitching overall is middle of the pack. The defense is above average. When you consider their stadium, the Reds' offense is a contender for the worst in baseball. It very likely is the worst in the National League.

    The obvious and overwhelming team need is offense. The Reds need a power hitter for the middle of the lineup and somebody who can get on base.
    1.With a .957 OPS and a homerun every 11.5 AB's Gomes may be part of that solution, or will he be the next offensive player the Reds fail to recognize appropriately?

    2. Can Juan Francisco move Joey Votto to left? [assuming he can't displace Rolen from third] Can Votto play right? Can Gomes? Will the Reds move somebody into RF if he (Francisco or Gomes) outperforms Jay Bruce?

    Just questions. I'd rank the needs 1. SP, 2. SS, 3. C, 4. OF (ranked 4th only because it seems to me we have a better chance here of putting together something approaching a solution from within)

  7. #6
    Member cincrazy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    South Vienna, OH
    Posts
    4,382

    Re: rank the Reds needs

    1. A competent front office that works on the same page.

    2. A manager who is walking step by step with the front office (see Francona, Terry).

    Fill in those holes, and the rest will magically fall into place.

  8. #7
    Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Guelph, ON
    Posts
    16,029

    Re: rank the Reds needs

    I'm with Jojo. Until we get a management team that is willing to join the 21st century, the rest of the conversation is moot.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

  9. #8
    Brett William Moore Will M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Crescent Springs KY
    Posts
    3,601

    Re: rank the Reds needs

    Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    The Reds play in a hitter's stadium. They have a teamwide OPS of .693 as of today. That is tied for the worst in the NL. The worst.

    The pitching overall is middle of the pack. The defense is above average. When you consider their stadium, the Reds' offense is a contender for the worst in baseball. It very likely is the worst in the National League.

    The obvious and overwhelming team need is offense. The Reds need a power hitter for the middle of the lineup and somebody who can get on base.
    First, some offensive improvements should come from within:
    Rolen at 3B (OPS+ 120) vs EE (OPS+ 83) and Rosales (OPS+62).
    (Hopefully) better offense from CF. Less (none??? ) Taveras (OPS+ 47) and more Dickerson (OPS+ 93) and either Heisey or Stubbs.
    Bruce can hopefully make the adjustments he needs to go from being a below average player to someday being an All Star.

    Second, my #1 ranked need is a SS. Getting a guy who can play the position and OPS+ 100 beats the you know what out of Gonzo/Janish (OPS+43).

    Third, I am not saying don't upgrade LF. I am saying that I believe LF should be upgraded on the cheap after upgrading SS & adding another starter.
    I concede to you the point that the pitching has been league average. Mostly because of ~263 incredible IP by Cordero, Rhodes, Weathers, Masset, Herrera & Fisher. If they repeat this next year the overall pitching could again be average despite our awful 4th/5th starters. However, I feel the Reds would win more games by using their limited resources to add a TOR/MOR starter and trying to fill LF on the cheap (LH partner for Gomes) than committing their limited resources to LF and going with the rotation we have.
    .

  10. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Findlay OH
    Posts
    1,370

    Re: rank the Reds needs

    I would put a high OBP CF as #2 since we all know the CF hits lead-off the Reds must find one that will get on base atleast 35% of the time.

  11. #10
    Member cincrazy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    South Vienna, OH
    Posts
    4,382

    Re: rank the Reds needs

    Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I'm with Jojo. Until we get a management team that is willing to join the 21st century, the rest of the conversation is moot.
    I'd settle for them joining the 20th CENTURY, let alone the 21st.

  12. #11
    Brett William Moore Will M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Crescent Springs KY
    Posts
    3,601

    Re: rank the Reds needs

    Quote Originally Posted by 4256 Hits View Post
    I would put a high OBP CF as #2 since we all know the CF hits lead-off the Reds must find one that will get on base atleast 35% of the time.
    interesting that you list CF as a need. i assume (perhaps wrongly) that Dickerson with either Heisey or Stubbs can hold down CF.
    .

  13. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    13,739

    Re: rank the Reds needs

    Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    1.With a .957 OPS and a homerun every 11.5 AB's Gomes may be part of that solution, or will he be the next offensive player the Reds fail to recognize appropriately?

    2. Can Juan Francisco move Joey Votto to left? [assuming he can't displace Rolen from third] Can Votto play right? Can Gomes? Will the Reds move somebody into RF if he (Francisco or Gomes) outperforms Jay Bruce?

    Just questions. I'd rank the needs 1. SP, 2. SS, 3. C, 4. OF (ranked 4th only because it seems to me we have a better chance here of putting together something approaching a solution from within)
    If the Reds don't sign a left fielder from outside, I'd like them to give Francisco an extended look out there. If he can play the position, JF would be add a lot of pop to the lineup.

  14. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,558

    Re: rank the Reds needs

    KC, what do you do with Gomes?

  15. #14
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    42,826

    Re: rank the Reds needs

    Courage, a Brain a Heart and a girl with a good voice to belt out the National Anthem at the world series.


  16. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Findlay OH
    Posts
    1,370

    Re: rank the Reds needs

    Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    interesting that you list CF as a need. i assume (perhaps wrongly) that Dickerson with either Heisey or Stubbs can hold down CF.
    There is a chance they could, Dickerson has best chance, but you know the rules the player being paid the most plays so until the Reds has a CF making more the WT he is going to play CF. So the only way get WT out of CF is to sign a FA.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25