Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: paintmered

Re: paintmered

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    Can't really agree with that, unless the owner lived there. Presumably insurance will pay for the rebuild. Sure, it's a hassle, but the owner probably didn't lose any personal possessions and likely will be sleeping in their own bed tonight. My sympathies are with the folks whose homes burnt down.
    By your way of thinking, Apartment insurance will pay for the personal possessions lost. After that they can move somewhere else and move on. The owner will probably still be dealing with this hassle a year from now.

I agree it's a drag to lose personal possessions especially those that can't be replaced but what's gone is gone. Actually there's so much crap in my house I think a lightning strike would be just the ticket...

2. Turn Off Ads?

I think debating who loses the most in this case is in pretty poor taste. There is more than enough misery, loss, and hassle to spread around.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Glad to hear no one was hurt.

The one that really needs our sympathies is the owner of that building. It's his problem to rebuild it.
    It would suck for the owner, but it would suck even worse to lose everything you own. Even with insurance, there are things that can't be replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I think debating who loses the most in this case is in pretty poor taste. There is more than enough misery, loss, and hassle to spread around.
    Very true Mr. Tucker.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Glad you're ok, paintmered - hope everything works out for you.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Mrs. fan works for a company that builds & runs apartment complexes. About 2 years ago they had a building go up because of the combination of a drought, a windy day, and the flick of a cigarette butt.

The big thing to remember is that the owner of the building and the insurance will rebuild the structure. However it is incumbent upon the renters to have renters insurance to cover replacement of personal belongings in the apartments. So here's a friendly reminder to anyone who is renting - make sure you have an adequate renters insurance policy in the event that something like this ever happens to you.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

I lost everything in the '97 flood. The stuff can be replaced.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

You're in our prayers Craig.

I just realized that it was 3 years ago TODAY that my family and I moved into a new build after a fire destroyed everything we owned.

And it was the support and aid of the many people on this very forum that helped my family and I to get through it all. I will never, ever, forget that.

So if there is any way we can help you Craig then please let us know buddy.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

I'm pretty sure I went to high school with one of other girls also quoted in that article. I immediately was concerned after hearing a lot of base and WSU people live there as I know several of both. Just glad everyone is ok as most material possessions can be replaced.

Day 2 ended on a fortunate note. The destruction crew was able to pull some of my belongings from the rubble. Of most sentimental value was a solid oak bookcase that my ailing grandfather made for me 15 years ago. It is a little dirty, but otherwise no worse for the wear. Most of my wardrobe made it out as well. There was about a foot of standing water in my apartment and many of my closet belongings that were kept above that water level were essentially unscathed.

Currently, only have of my apartment is demolished. I still have my golf clubs and my Orbea road bike inside. Both were in areas of my apartment that did not collapse. So I'm hopeful that I'll get both back so long as the demo crew isn't too gung ho with seeing the building disappear...and my stuff with it. Assuming they appear tomorrow, I should have more insurance policy than lost possessions. I didn't think that would happen.

On a non-related note. During the Ryder Cup last year, I purchased an embroidered flag. I have family in Kentucky who are related to Kenny Perry's caddie. My parents were able to get the flag to Kenny Perry so he could sign it and then they would frame it for my birthday present. The flag finally returned this evening. Not only did Kenny Perry sign it, but J.B. Holmes did as well. It was a nice end to an otherwise stressful day.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

You deserve something nice like that to happen, paint.

Love those two guys. Good ole Kentucky boys.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Hang in there paint! You've got a lot of people pulling for you.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Update #3:

The salvage process for my apartment is now complete. They were able to pull my Orbea road bicycle out. It's dirty, but otherwise okay. My golf clubs however, are under a giant pile of rubble. So I get to add a new set of sticks to the shopping list.

On that note, I need some assistance from all of you. I have an absolutely massive shopping list and I'll need to go to a number of locations to replace all my furniture, electronics, clothes, etc.. If there are any stores that you have good experiences with, or have an in with that would be willing to cut me a deal, please let me know. Saving some money here and there will go a long way.

Thanks again for all the well wishes. I'll be back on my feet soon enough.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

My thoughts are with you Paint. I wish I could say I had an old futon or something I could throw your way.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

So sorry this happened, paint. Hope you get through everything well.

Turn Off Ads?