Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why the Reds ?

Why the Reds ?

This is the first new thread I get to start, and I'm wondering how you guys came to be Reds fans.

I'm sure many of you became Reds fans due to geographical reasoning, and probably a lot of you were drawn to the BRM and then just hung on afterwards.

As for me, my Dad was a big BRM fan (Bench in particular) and we used to go down for Reds Spring Training a lot. Somwehere there's lots of pictures of a little me with Morgan, Concepcion, Bench, Foster, Sparky, etc. I was away from baseball for a while, but recently got back involved and keeping an eye on the Reds.

So, what's your story ? What first attracted you to the Reds ? Why did you pick the Reds to be your team ?
    "...kicks and deals, and it's right down Broadway"
    2009 Attendance Record 1-2
    2010 Attendance Record 3-1
    2011 Attendance Record 2-0
    2012 Attendance Record 6-2

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Why the Reds ?

I was born into it. My dad has been a fan since the BRM era, and when I got into baseball I met Sean Casey, and he just made that experience of my first baseball game unbelievable and ever since then he's been my favorite player, and this has been my team. And I don't believe that anything will ever happen to change that.
    Let's make some noise!

I was in grade school in the mid-70s during the BRM years. How could a kid not be a fan of Bench, Rose, Morgan, Foster, Concepcion, Griffey, Perez, etc.?

Quote Originally Posted by cr_redsfan View Post
    I was in grade school in the mid-70s during the BRM years. How could a kid not be a fan of Bench, Rose, Morgan, Foster, Concepcion, Griffey, Perez, etc.?
    Me too, in Cincinnati Ohio. Got Pete Rose's autograph outside the stadium, when he was getting in his white corvette stingray with the HUGE humps. Ever since I've loved corvettes, Pete Rose, and the Cincinnati Reds for life.

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

topsyt

Raised to be a fan in early 60s by grandfather and then the pinnacle- cheering the BRM. However, the good will built up is fading as the past years have been a trainwreck and certainly not worth supporting or following. The future appears to be more of the same. Nationally, we are a joke.

Grew up in Louisville listening to Marty and Joe. Loved Mario Soto. When I was six or seven years old, I would always watch the few games that were on channel 41 in Louisville. When Soto was pitching, I'd watch the Reds on defense, and go outside and play or do something else when they were on offense. Soto was tons of fun to watch, but those teams really stunk.

Old Red Guard Reject

I was born into it as well. Growing up, we only got 4 channels on TV and one of them (Channel 11 out of Hurricane WV) showed Reds games luckily. I really started getting into the Reds when Pete was chasing down Ty Cobb when I was about 8 yrs. old. It was the cool thing to be in little league and wear #14, run out all the walks and slide head first - even though it was against the safety rules. Then the 1990 World Series upset of the A's made it permanent to be a Reds fan. Ah...the good old days lol.
    If you ain't first, you're last! - Ricky Bobby

The Ty Cobb chase was awesome. My birthday is September 13th, so I was actually hoping Pete would hold off a couple more days. Of course, it's just Pete's luck that he got that hit on September 11th.

My dad introduced me to the game as a kid in 1981/82-he was a Tigers fan-and got me collecting baseball cards. He would show me his old cards to teach me the history of the game and collect current cards to catch up and take an interest in the game today. My dad told me I should pick a favorite team, and I had already latched on to Johnny Bench as my fav player, as I thought catching was cool (prob just liked that they got to wear equipment the rest didn't). I am born and raised in NC, but my parents were from Ohio, so it seemed like a natural fit to root for the Reds, so it has stuck with me since. Many think I should be a Braves fan since they are/were the closest MLB team and the Durham Bulls were Braves affiliate my childhood, where I went to many games.
    UNC Tar Heels 2009 National Champions 5 time NCAA Champs
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09
    Go Heels!!!!!

Man, grade school in the 70's, grew up in price hill, big fan of the Reds, collected baseball cards, went to games, loved every minute of it. I bleed Red, but I am tired of bleeding for teams that we have had for the past ten seasons. Grew up bowling at Del-Fair Lanes, lil Pete bowled in the same saturday morning league for one season, it was a great time to be a Reds fan.
    Last edited by Ohioballplayer; 08-18-2009 at 12:17 PM. Reason: Cause'
    Bowled 9 300 games, semi-retired!

Nothing like bowling a 300 game

Third generation Reds fan. My pops celebrated his 50th birthday at Crosley. My dad and I celebrated his 60th and my 30th at Reds spring training a while back.

My mom and dad partly credit the BRM with their decision to become parents, so thanks guys! I'm thinking that it technically wasn't a decision, more like excessive celebration, but I'll take it.

As I grew up, Reds baseball gave my dad and I something to talk about other than his health. For that alone, I am eternally grateful.

I honestly don't know. Geographical, perhaps. Noone else in my family could care less about baseball. I actually went to alot more Indians games as a kid than Reds games, and I remember also being a Chicago White Sox fans when I was like 10-12 years old, but I gravitated towards the Reds. I really liked their history, guys like Larkin/Sabo, etc, and my interest just took off from there.

I'm the same as most on here. My father was a big fan, so I grew up with the Reds on tv and even going to a game or two every year. Just never imagined following anyone else.

1. Come from a whole family of Reds fans, and I also married into a family of Reds fans.
    2. Reds country, Southern WV is Reds country, and listening to MArty and Joe was great. Fox 11 also showed the Reds.
    3. Pete Rose breaking Cobb's record was my first baseball memory. I was only 6 but I still remember watchign that game like it was yesterday, and I have it on tape on BetaMax!
    4. The 1990 World Series. Still remember the last out and cheering with my Mammaw and Pappaw and their couch when the Reds were on tope of the world.
    5. Barry Larkin.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

I thought this thread would be about why our prospects always get hurt or don't reach expectations, why most of our starting 9 at the beginning of the season end the season on the DL, why we always finish in 5th; and so forth.

Why the Reds for me? I don't know. 1990 with my grandmother in downtown Cincinnati was a heck of a memory. Other then that I don't know anymore.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-0

Turn Off Ads?