Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Will we see any turnover in the coaching staff before the 2010 season begins?

Will we see any turnover in the coaching staff before the 2010 season begins?

Pole and Jacoby I'm looking squarely at you.

Does anyone in the Reds FO have the stones to split up one of the great bromances of all time? (Dusty and "Dickie")

There's no way they actually can Dusty, is there? ( )

And I'm posing these questions with the understanding that the Reds limp to the finish line with a record maintaining the "losing pace" that they've already set.

I guess a dead cat bounce saves everybody? Classic Mike Brown stuff there.
    Last edited by WMR; 08-18-2009 at 11:10 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Will we see any turnover in the coaching staff before the 2010 season begins?

I could see Jacoby going.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Re: Will we see any turnover in the coaching staff before the 2010 season begins?

Would it matter?

I sure would like to see a manager who would bench Taveras and give Dickerson his at-bats, but until we supply our manager with a shortstop and power-hitting outfielder, it isn't going to matter much IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    Would it matter?

I sure would like to see a manager who would bench Taveras and give Dickerson his at-bats, but until we supply our manager with a shortstop and power-hitting outfielder, it isn't going to matter much IMO.
    I dunno if it will matter a huge amount in the grand scheme of things but I definitely know that I'm tired of looking at and listening to these clowns.
    Last edited by WMR; 08-18-2009 at 11:18 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

What is so hard about hiring an actual pitching coach and telling Big Dick Pole to hit the road? If Dusty doesn't like it he can follow him out the door! Quit bowing to Dusty and start doing what's best for this organization!

Bum

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    Would it matter?
    Probably not.

But in the name of "we gotta do something" I can see Pole and Jacoby getting scapegoated and axed.

But I don't think even Charlie Lau could have made a hitter of WT.

Dusty- meh. He was a good manager when he had Barry Bonds and Sammy Sosa, same way that LaRussa is a good manager with Pujols, McGwire, etc.

I am becoming more convinced that this team will continue to tread water until it has a new owner. No other change will matter all that much.

I'd like to see them all go along with the manager. In fact, yesterday, an off-day was a perfect opportunity to do just that.

Today is also a perfect opportunity. As I look at my calendar, there appear to be many ripe days for a house cleaning before pitchers and catchers report in February.
    Hacktastic: The Story of the 2014 Cincinnati Reds

I think the thing that would make the most long-term difference is improving the development and scouting departments and getting players so good that even Dusty can't miscast them.

I also think Dusty would make a heckuva bench coach but that's never going to happen.
    "Bring on Rod Stupid!"

Dick Pole has to go. The pitching staff hasn't improved this season and Cueto looks lost on the mound.

Quote Originally Posted by Bumstead View Post
    What is so hard about hiring an actual pitching coach and telling Big Dick Pole to hit the road? If Dusty doesn't like it he can follow him out the door! Quit bowing to Dusty and start doing what's best for this organization!

Bum
    Greg Maddux still tells people that Dick Pole is the best pitching coach he's ever had. Now, I am not a huge fan of Mr. Pole, but that tells me, at least, that he's not the worst pitching coach the Reds have ever had.

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    Greg Maddux still tells people that Dick Pole is the best pitching coach he's ever had. Now, I am not a huge fan of Mr. Pole, but that tells me, at least, that he's not the worst pitching coach the Reds have ever had.

I'm guessing Maddux would have been a great pitcher if Helen Keller were his pitching coach. Absent of cloning 5 20something Greg Madduxes, a new pitching coach would be a good thing.

That said, no matter who goes, do we really trust this bunch to pick out replacements that are any better?
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

I'd love to see a housecleaning.

I think Jocketty is more than capable of doing it. The question is Castellini.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I'm guessing Maddux would have been a great pitcher if Helen Keller were his pitching coach. Absent of cloning 5 20something Greg Madduxes, a new pitching coach would be a good thing.

That said, no matter who goes, do we really trust this bunch to pick out replacements that are any better?
    I think you're right about Maddux, but what he said either is an enormous inside joke that has every pitcher in baseball snickering, or means that Pole is not the worst pitching coach around.

That said, I have no problem getting rid of Pole, I just don't think it will make that much difference.

I think Brantley is lobbying for the job. Everytime I hear him do a game, it is just so very obvious to him what the mechanical problem of the pitcher of the day is- sounds to me like 2 weeks with Brantley would fix all of these guys right up!

I believe the Reds also have a deficiency in the scouting/ game planning department. That is certainly on the shoulders of the manager/ coaches to some extent, but are those resources available and used? I have no idea, but based on what I see game in and game out, I don't think so.

These players can have all the tools necessary to be successful, but this isn't 1954 anymore. You can't just go toe to toe physically, you have to master the back and forth chess game of exloiting the opposing players weaknesses. This is exhibit 1A for why TLR's team always overachieve in StL.

The coaching staff seems ok overall in 'managing' the players, but game preparation is clearly lacking.

"Get Smart"
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

I think they will all escape by playing the injury card for this year. Nice cloud to hide behind, clouding the vision.

I think that all the coaches are doing what the boss, Dusty says. The results they get look like Dusty's lineup logic to me and his players evaluations.
    Last edited by Spring~Fields; 08-18-2009 at 12:36 PM.

Turn Off Ads?