Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How would you rate the Reds' 2009 draft signings?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

How would you rate the Reds' 2009 draft signings?

Now that we know who signed and who didn't.

Do you dock the Reds for failing to offer up enough money for either Marrerro or Perez? Should they have gone for more of the middle round guys that didn't sign?

What say you?

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Re: How would you rate the Reds' 2009 draft signings?

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    Now that we know who signed and who didn't.

Do you dock the Reds for failing to offer up enough money for either Marrerro or Perez? Should they have gone for more of the middle round guys that didn't sign?

What say you?
    I don't know how you can dock the Reds on guys that didn't sign unless you know how willing they were to sign and how much money they were offered.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

IMO, what's going to separate the winners from the losers in this draft is how many lower draft picks rise to prominence. Fellhauer, Silva, Barnhart, Braun and Stramp are the sorts of guys who are going to make this draft for the Reds.

Having Leake progress quickly to the majors (2012 rotation slot) is also a key. FWIW, I think he can do that.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    IMO, what's going to separate the winners from the losers in this draft is how many lower draft picks rise to prominence.
    I don't think you limit it to lower picks, an awful lot of first round picks still wash out.

it's good to sign guys. we used to sign 6 of the top 10 then five of them struggled so badly from the get go that they were cut within 18 months.

now we're signing everyone, and players are already beating up low A teams. that is all right.
    2015, baby!

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    I don't think you limit it to lower picks, an awful lot of first round picks still wash out.
    For sure. I'm just saying that I expect a lot of teams will turn up some primo players from rounds 3-50 in this draft.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Juan Silva is looking very good so far with the GCL Reds. After 111 atbats, he's hitting .288/.378/.441 - .819 OPS. I was very impressed with his tools in his scouting video. It's good to see him putting them to use already.

IMO, what's going to separate the winners from the losers in this draft is how many lower draft picks rise to prominence. Fellhauer, Silva, Barnhart, Braun and Stramp are the sorts of guys who are going to make this draft for the Reds.

Having Leake progress quickly to the majors (2012 rotation slot) is also a key. FWIW, I think he can do that.
    Very much agree with this, though I'd add that I think Boxberger is a key. Barring injury, I think Leake will be a major league starter, at least mid rotation. If Boxberger becomes a starter, too, then it's been a really good draft. Otherwise not so much. Really haven't had a chance to look at the early returns on many of the guys yet but am looking forward to doing so. I'm not at all surprised we didn't sign Marrero or Perez so I'm not troubled by that.

I think he'll be on the Stewart plan. I expect him to be in AAA this time next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    I think he'll be on the Stewart plan. I expect him to be in AAA this time next year.
    Don't know that I'd call it the Stewart plan. My sense is that the Stewart plan was set up to produce maximum attention for a player picked out to be traded. Later Walt "gave in," while giving J.P. exactly what he thought he'd have to give--and wanted to give--all along.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Don't know that I'd call it the Stewart plan. My sense is that the Stewart plan was set up to produce maximum attention for a player picked out to be traded. Later Walt "gave in," while giving J.P. exactly what he thought he'd have to give--and wanted to give--all along.
    Why would Walt want to trade Stewart? Dude was dominating the minors and has projectable, above-average stuff. Coming out of college (like Leake), he was able to move quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP
    Pretty bad plan for the Reds if you ask me.
    Why? Were you upset with the way they handled Stewart? If he shows he's able to blow away the competition, and given the fact he's already developed at college thus starting at Sarasota this year, why would it be so bad for the Reds to have him move up a couple levels over the course of a year?

Why would Walt want to trade Stewart? Dude was dominating the minors and has projectable, above-average stuff. Coming out of college (like Leake), he was able to move quickly.

Why? Were you upset with the way they handled Stewart? If he shows he's able to blow away the competition, and given the fact he's already developed at college thus starting at Sarasota this year, why would it be so bad for the Reds to have him move up a couple levels over the course of a year?
    If they stop the stewart plan before trading him sure sounds fine to me. The Stewart plan to me is build up great numbers build up trade value then sell for half price. If they go by the Stewart plan I expect Leake to be traded for Aaron Rowand or something.

Pretty bad plan for the Reds if you ask me.

As of now, in extremely limited samples, Fellhauer looks good. Banrhart, Hamilton, and Read are potential bargains and Leake and Boxberger appear solid bets for at least a taste of the bigs.

B, so far. Largely on Fellhauer.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Banrhart, Hamilton, and Read are potential bargains.
    potential ratholes.
    2015, baby!

Turn Off Ads?