Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tool shed

High five!

Tool shed

From Fay:

Baseball America's annual tools survey is out. Managers in each league are asked to rate the players in their league by skills. Here are Reds players on the lists:

National League
    Best bunter
    2. Willy Taveras (Juan Pierre was No. 1. Taveras started off badly this year. He's been better lately.)

Fastest baserunner
    2. Willy Taveras (Michael Bourn was No. 1)

Best defensive second baseman
    3. Brandon Phillips (Orlando Hudson and Chase Utley were 1, 2. I'd take Phillips over Utley. I haven't seen enough of Hudson).

Best outfield arm
    2. Jay Bruce (Jeff Francoeur was No. 1. Bruce and Brad Hawpe tied for 2)

American League
    Best defensive third baseman
    3. Scott Rolen

International League
    Best baserunner

Drew Stubbs (only one player is rated in the minors under each category, three are listed in the majors)

Best defensive outfielder
    Drew Stubbs

Best outfield arm
    Drew Stubbs

Southern League
    Best changeup

Travis Wood

Best control
    Travis Wood

Midwest League
    Best defensive shortstop

Miguel Rojas

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Tool shed

To me it seems a certain outfielder in the International League should be getting playing time in the big leagues.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    To me it seems a certain outfielder in the International League should be getting playing time in the big leagues.
    Over the 2nd best bunter, and 2nd fastest baserunner? Have you lost your mind?!

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

If he does, it sure as heck won't be in CF for the Reds.

I thought Wood's control wasn't all that great? Even though he had turned a corner this year?

Taveras is a crappy bunter. He rarely lays one down and beats it out and either can't or refuses to push one up the first base line, which would greatly increase the likelihood of bunting for a hit.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Taveras is a crappy bunter. He rarely lays one down and beats it out and either can't or refuses to push one up the first base line, which would greatly increase the likelihood of bunting for a hit.
    He's not even good at the things he's good at.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    He's not even good at the things he's good at.
    Bronson Arroyo, Brandon Phillips and JHJ are all better, and that's just on the Reds (JHJ former Red). Reputation vote, pure and simple.

Cheekily Non-Conformist CarolinaRedleg's Avatar

Anyone think Dusty's going to cite these results in justifying Willy Patterson's spot?
    Hope isn't a strategy

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I agree...

...more often than not, he bunts it directly to a fielder......

That list must have been made by the Reds scouts that recommended WT.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Not crappy, but not impressive, either. Given his success in the past, he's probably having something of an off year. Agree with the notion he can't push a bunt -- that's a glaring weakness. I also question how often he fakes the bunt when the pitch is a strike. Lately he's been better, but over the course of the year there have been an awful lot of easy plays for the defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Nasty_Boy View Post
    Over the 2nd best bunter, and 2nd fastest baserunner? Have you lost your mind?!
    You are are right. How ignorant of me. Taveras is the savior and THE key piece of the puzzle to turn around this franchise. Now I'm back to reality. Thanks!
    Reds Fan Since 1971

In my honest opinion, there's absolutely no reason to start the arbitration clock, at this point. Let him get everyday at-bats in AAA and save the service time.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

High five!

I wonder what the rest of the list looks like? Fay didn't link to it.

Turn Off Ads?