Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Jockety's Plan

Jockety's Plan

Fay posted this on his blog today

Jocketty answers The Plan question
    Posted by JohnFay at 8/18/2009 5:07 PM EDT on Cincinnati.com

The Reds have gotten beaten up a lot lately for not having a long-tem plan. That happens when you trade away young pitching for a 34-year-old third baseman like Scott Rolen at the trade deadline, even though you’re 10 games out of first place at the time.

The Reds have since traded away veterans David Weathers and Alex Gonzalez.

I put The Plan question to Walt Jocketty Tuesday.

“The plan is . . . we have a plan, let’s put it at that. . . The plan is to try and develop quality young players and build a foundation for the organization for the long-term, not just the short-term.

“We’re also trying to be fair to our fans and be competitive as much as we could this year. I think we were until we were hit with a lot of injuries in the middle of July. We didn’t have the depth to compensate for it.

“The plan is to continue to sign quality young talent and develop it to the major league level. That’s simplifying it. But that’s the plan.”

Do you think you can compete next year?

“I don’t know,” Jocketty said. “I don’t know what the competition will be next year. I would hope we were competing this year until we got hurt.”
    Hasn't this been THE PLAN for the last 10 years? I don't see any difference in this plan and the DanO's plan. Sounds to me like we will be seeing the same level of players on the field as this year and the team just hopes to get lucky one year with a generational type of player to be the core of the team, such as a Pujols. I would rather hear about a Marlins type plan where the team builds up to compete every 5 or 6 years and then blows the team up and starts all over again. At least that would show some thought into what my actually work. Rather than stating that you want to try and do a little of everything.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Jockety's Plan

So basically the plan is to do whatever helps you at that exact moment with no thought of the future? Yep... sounds like our Reds, alright.

Can we please just have the Reds move to a new city. Im tired of reading this useless crap that is constantly spewed out of the GMs, managers, Owners, and every tool attached to them. Its pretty obvious the Reds plan is no plan and they are now looking like complete fools and the best they have to offer up is "I dont know" and "Yea we have a plan"

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

That's no plan at all. That's "coachspeak" for GMs.

I really had high hopes for the new leadership of the Reds. I'm no longer sure of that.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

Walt, that was weak.

How much better would our organization be as a whole had DanO been allowed to keep his job? I think our minor league system would be much better while our big league team would be about the same IMO.
    I was in the ORG once, best 6 months of my life.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    How much better would our organization be as a whole had DanO been allowed to keep his job? I think our minor league system would be much better while our big league team would be about the same IMO.
    We might have been a lot better off if DanO had been allowed time to complete his job but it all comes down to ownerships inability to commit to rebuilding the franchise.

ZCTRMTP!!!!!

I will translate Jocketty's baseball-speak into plain everyday language: Throw something against the wall and see what sticks.

I just have one comment about "the plan".
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Quote Originally Posted by moewan View Post
    Barmaid to patron "Sir you are slurring, I am going to have to cut you off"

Patron to barmaid "I'm not slurring, I'm speaking in cursive"

Is Walt talking about building a Winning Baseball Organization or about Healthcare reform?

Turn Off Ads?