Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hal McCoy unloads on Taveras

Hal McCoy unloads on Taveras

Willy Taveras must be playing badly when Hal piles on in his blog:

Pinch-hitter Freddie Lewis hit a ball to dead center. As he has done so often this year, center fielder Willy Taveras broke poorly on the ball, running laterally to his left before realizing the ball was over his head. It fell for a double.

He doesnít get on base. When he does he doesnít steal when it is needed. He was brought in to be a leadoff hitter and couldnít do it and is now batting second. And he is below average in the field. What can Taveras do? He has a nice stereo set in the clubhouse that plays loud, headache-inducing salsa music.

And holy cahooties. Taveras just hit a ground ball to the mound and trotted toward first base. Didnít run. Jogged. Stopped before he got to the bag. Manager Dusty Baker immediately yanked him from the lineup, replacing him with Laynce Nix.

The Reds later announced that Taveras has a strained right quadriceps muscle. I donít question the injury, but it was awfully convenient
    As far as Iím concerned, and many other fans are concerned, Taveras can rot on the bench the rest of the season. Iíve seen nothing to merit the millions the Reds have flushed down the toilet when they brought this guy in.
    ďThis one was a perfect one. I donít know if I can find a better one, better timing. He [Price] really said some great things there. It really encouraged us to go back and do what we do. Ö I didnít know he could speak like that.Ē Brayan Pena 5/21/14

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Re: Hal McCoy unloads on Taveras

I really look forward to reading Hal's blog as he nears the end of the season and his forced retirement.

I can't imagine he'll pull many punches the rest of the way.

Willy is the funniest running joke in MLB right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

I'm not sure if I've ever seen members of the media start turning on the team as much as they have this year.

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    Apparently you should say jogging joke.

So even Hal McCoy can see further than Baker and Jocketty.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    I'm not sure if I've ever seen members of the media start turning on the team as much as they have this year.
    Johnny Temple knocked Earl Lawson out back in the 50's.

I bet Hal could kick Willys arse, that's how weak a hitter Taveras is.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

As I said in the other thread, the truly soul-sucking part of the Willy Taveras debacle is that he's actually been WORSE than advertised. He's on pace to set career lows in virtually every offensive category worth counting -- including OBP and SLG.

Most fans were prepared for Willy Taveras to be terrible, but I don't think there are many here who predicted this level of terrible for him. It's like getting an extra 10 kicks in the groin just for flinching on the first one.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

good for Hal. he's not usually that critical either. you know it's bad now.

Worth The Wait

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    As I said in the other thread, the truly soul-sucking part of the Willy Taveras debacle is that he's actually been WORSE than advertised. He's on pace to set career lows in virtually every offensive category worth counting -- including OBP and SLG.

Most fans were prepared for Willy Taveras to be terrible, but I don't think there are many here who predicted this level of terrible for him. It's like getting an extra 10 kicks in the groin just for flinching on the first one.
    At this point, my cojones are numb anyway...kick away Reds!

$4M says that October isn't over before WJ starts talking about how they expect a big turnaround year from WT in 2010.

His OPS is sub .500 over the last 3 months.

And he hasn't batted lower than 2nd.

Chew on that for awhile.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    Sadly I must have missed where it was funny

I'm sure Willy will staunch his tears with hundred dollar bills tonight.

He is the living embodiment of why I hate the franchise I love. And yes, eddabbs, I realize it's cheap and prosaic to complain about Taveras. But he is the worst player in baseball and he doesn't even try.

If Willy T was a professional wrestler his ring name would be Unmitigated Disaster.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Turn Off Ads?