Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Should Willy Tavares be a Red in 2009?

Voters
141. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    29 20.57%
  • No

    112 79.43%
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910
Results 136 to 149 of 149

Thread: Willy Taveras - should he be a Red?

  1. #136
    Where's my chair? REDREAD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Posts
    20,981

    Re: Willy Taveras

    Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    * Before the season Dusty bragged that he could lure players to Cincy. Patterson played for Dusty in Chicago. Do you really think Dusty had no input whatsoever in Wayne's efforts to bring him to town? Too much of a coincidence for a reasonable person to ignore.
    How is that relevant? Dusty wanted Wood to come here. Walt said no.
    It's the GM's responsible to assemble the roster.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    * Once the season started who make's out the lineup? Are you wanting us to believe that Dusty doesn't and some other person does? Who? The guy in section 518? What unknown forces inked Patterson into the leadoff spot for the months of April, May and June?
    The Reds had a weak lineup last year. I agree that the lineup was not optimized. I think Dusty felt that putting Patterson in the leadoff spot would make him approach his at bats better (like focus on OBP). Obviously, it did not work well with Patterson. Some of Dusty's lineup tinkering did bring benefits though. He got a good year out of Harriston and EdE. Dusty does not get the credit he deserves for pulling the best year yet out of the egnematic EdE.




    * Later in the season, why did we continue to see Patterson in CF and Dickerson in LF? Was a law passed in Congress that forced poor ole Dusty to play Patterson in CF?
    Because Patterson has a superior glove to Dickerson.



    * Who sends out the pinch hitters?
    Nitpicking. The Reds' bench sucked last year. Dusty had to use Patterson a few times to pinch hit (I think that is your point). Without going into it game by game, it is hard to use that as damaging evidence.


    Sorry Redread, .
    Apology accepted.

    hinking that Dusty was forced to use Patterson just doesn't stand the scrutiny of reason and facts.
    All I see is you complaining that Patterson was in CF despite the fact that Patterson is a better defender than Dickerson. Then you complain that Patterson was used as pinch hitter a few times. (Wouldn't that make you happy that Patterson was PH instead of starting?) Then you have some conspiracy about Dusty forcing Wayne to put Patterson on the roster while keeping Bruce at AAA. Are you going to blame Dusty for Castro, Valentin, etc too? Wayne was a poor GM. I know it's fashionable to blame Dusty for everything, but that's not reality.

    Address my key point. The Reds were forced to recall Patterson from AAA due to injuries and trades. Lack of OF depth forced Dusty to play Patterson.
    I agree that Dusty's attempt to motivate Patterson's OBP by batting him leadoff failed, but Dusty didn't do it to sabotage the Reds.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

    Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #137
    Vavasor TRF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Amarillo, TX
    Posts
    13,371

    Re: Willy Taveras

    Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    I certainly hope development doesn't stop at 27. Dickerson turns 26 in April.

    For some reason, people consider Dickerson young and up and coming, while Taveras is old and washed up. If Taveras spent as much time in the minors as Dickerson did, he'd probably have pretty guady minor league numbers as well.
    Dickerson doesn't have gaudy minor league numbers, which you would know, had you ever looked at them.

    What he has is solid numbers that show a progression as a player. Taveras was rushed in the hope that he was something he isn't.

    He isn't a good defender.

    He isn't a good hitter.

    He isn't a good batter. (OBP)

    and except for last year, he hasn't been a very good base stealer.

    but keep beating the drum that a guy that's been PROVEN to you over and over is BELOW replacement level is a good fit for the Reds.
    Suck it up cupcake.

  4. #138
    2009: Fail Ltlabner's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    7,441

    Re: Willy Taveras

    Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Address my key point. The Reds were forced to recall Patterson from AAA due to injuries and trades. Lack of OF depth forced Dusty to play Patterson.

    I agree that Dusty's attempt to motivate Patterson's OBP by batting him leadoff failed, but Dusty didn't do it to sabotage the Reds.
    I can see facts and logic are not going to trump what you've decided happened. I've clearly detailed how Dusty was not forced to use Patterson in the way he was used yet you will continue to harp that he's just an innocent patsy overtaken by circumstance.

    You win.

    Willy Taveras generating outs at a rapid pace in the leadoff spot for hundreds of at bats would be great and help the Reds win. Speed is nifty. Having a batter that can't get on-base in a game built around getting on base is a good idea.

    While the data clearly shows Taveras is a horrible player it'll be great to have him on our team because that one time he stole some bases.

    As Wheels might say: Yippie.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

    I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

  5. #139
    Let's ride BRM's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Colorado's eastern plains
    Posts
    11,232

    Re: Willy Taveras

    Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    Willy Taveras generating outs at a rapid pace in the leadoff spot for hundreds of at bats would be great and help the Reds win.
    It will certainly keep RedsZone interesting all spring and summer. Meanwhile, the Reds will rocket their way towards another losing season.

  6. #140
    2009: Fail Ltlabner's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    7,441

    Re: Willy Taveras

    Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    It will certainly keep RedsZone interesting all spring and summer. Meanwhile, the Reds will rocket their way towards another losing season.
    And the frustrating part will be those pimping a Taveras move now will never own up to the stupidity of the move should it come to pass and we are treated to the suckness that is Willy T. No, instead there will be another re-writing of history and a thousand reasons why he isn't that bad, despite all the numbers to the contrary.

    But he's fast. Oh boy.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

    I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

  7. #141
    Let's ride BRM's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Colorado's eastern plains
    Posts
    11,232

    Re: Willy Taveras

    Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    And the frustrating part will be those pimping a Taveras move now will never own up to the stupidity of the move should it come to pass and we are treated to the suckness that is Willy T. No, instead there will be another re-writing of history and a thousand reasons why he isn't that bad, despite all the numbers to the contrary.
    Dusty's hand will be forced to play him regularly due to a lack of other options. Does that sound like a familiar excuse?

  8. #142
    High five! nate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Posts
    6,976

    Re: Willy Taveras

    Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    I can respect that opinion. I just have a different view. IMO, wasting resources is giving guys like Olmedo, Janish, etc playing time on the hope that somehow a light bulb goes off and they become ok players.
    I disagree with your example of Janish. I think, given better bats in the lineup, he's a fine 8-spot hitter and excellent defender for cheap.

    Most prospects wash out. Smart organizations don't waste a lot of ML playing time on marginal prospects. Brandon Larson is a good example. The Reds wasted a lot of playing time on him, and even moved Aaron Boone to accomodate him (which hurt Boone's production).
    Maybe the Reds development system sucks?

    Think in pure isolation. Who is likely to produce more in 2009, Taveraz or the next best option?
    I have emerged from my sensory deprivation tank with the answer.

    The answer is...

    :drumroll emoticon:

    ...the next best option.

    It's a hard question to answer because the roster is in flux.
    I found it pretty easy to answer. YMMV.

    Some people are convinced Stubbs would outproduce Taveras, but I don't think so.
    I think that he'll at least equal Taveras and have the redeeming factor of being a cheap, excellent defender.

    Remember Bill James lofty predictions for Jay Bruce last year? The guy didn't even OPS 800. That's because young players will struggle.
    Oh well.

    I completely acknowledge that Tavaraz is likely to be a below average player.
    Yes.

    He has some upside which we can debate.
    I don't think it's debatable, myself. I've read a lot both here and elsewhere and find no argument to convince me that Willy Taveras is worth the Reds' money.

    But the bottom line is that we need some OF depth to avoid rushing minor leaguers up before they are ready.
    I agree that we need OF depth.

    I'm not really pumped that right now Nix is looking to get significant playing time either.
    I'm not really pumped that Walt is looking to sign Willy Taveras and insert him into the leadoff/CF spot every day.

    I'd love to add a premium CF to this roster, I just don't see it realistically happening without trading Volquez or Ceuto.
    I think we could have good CF production by platooning Dickerson and Bruce with Rocco Baldelli. Sign or trade for one of the bats out there and roll the dice. It's not a plan to win the WS next year, but it's a plan that will keep butts in seats, let the Reds hover around .500 and let our younger players mature.
    "Bring on Rod Stupid!"

  9. #143
    Member Highlifeman21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN
    Posts
    8,694

    Re: Willy Taveras

    Almost 23% right now think Willy Taveras should be a Red in 2009.

    Really?



    Did all 27 of you really mean to vote yes?

    .... and if so, WHY?!

  10. #144
    It's showtime! RedEye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    7,968

    Re: Willy Taveras

    Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Address my key point. The Reds were forced to recall Patterson from AAA due to injuries and trades. Lack of OF depth forced Dusty to play Patterson.
    I agree that Dusty's attempt to motivate Patterson's OBP by batting him leadoff failed, but Dusty didn't do it to sabotage the Reds.
    No manager (with the possible exception of Pete Rose, who still denies it) wants to deliberately sabotage his team.

    Fact remains, Dusty did end up doing so by starting a sub-.300 OBP guy in the leadoff spot, leaving a creaky vet who'd "earned it" in the 3rd spot, mandating that a free-swinging 2B hit cleanup, and pushing the team's best offensive player routinely into the 6th or 7th spot.

    Injuries may have played a role in Dusty's decision to play Patterson, but they didn't force his general strategic incompetence. That was his doing and his alone.
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

  11. #145
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Williamsport, PA
    Posts
    12,364

    Re: Willy Taveras

    If you sign Taveras to play CF to a two-year deal and Rocco Baldalli to a two-year deal to play LF, that allows time for Drew Stubbs to develop at Louisville in 2009, and allows Dickerson to break in slowly by sharing time in LF and CF. If Baldalli does a Josh Hamilton resurgence, I will be more than happy with that. Taveras? Just get on base and set the table for Votto, Bruce, Phillips, Encarnacion and Baldalli.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

  12. #146
    RaisorZone Raisor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Charlotte, Nc
    Posts
    15,172

    Re: Willy Taveras

    Quote Originally Posted by Krusty View Post
    If you sign Taveras to play CF to a two-year deal .
    Woah there cowboy.

    You have GOT to be kidding.

    Right?

    Please?


    Taveras? Just get on base and set the table for Votto, Bruce, Phillips, Encarnacion and Baldalli.
    Except dude has a real problem "just" getting on base.
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

  13. #147
    Playoffs Cyclone792's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    6,270

    Re: Willy Taveras

    Signing Willy Taveras is a Bengaldom move. It would literally have Mike Brown written all over it. Then again, maybe the Reds are trying to one-up the Bengals with stupidity and this would be part of the long-term plan.
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

    Put an end to the Lost Decade.

  14. #148
    2009: Fail Ltlabner's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    7,441

    Re: Willy Taveras

    Quote Originally Posted by Krusty View Post
    Taveras? Just get on base and set the table for Votto, Bruce, Phillips, Encarnacion and Baldalli.
    Except the guy has a real history of not getting on base.

    And when he's on base he's more likely to run us out of an inning than increase his value.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

    I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

  15. #149
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The 513
    Posts
    12,638

    Re: Willy Taveras

    Quote Originally Posted by Krusty View Post
    If you sign Taveras to play CF to a two-year deal and Rocco Baldalli to a two-year deal to play LF, that allows time for Drew Stubbs to develop at Louisville in 2009, and allows Dickerson to break in slowly by sharing time in LF and CF.
    Above and beyond the obvious facts about Willy Taveras and his negative overall value to the team -- the fact is Chris Dickerson is already going to be 27 years old at the start of the 2009 season.

    He doesn't have time to "break in slowly." He is what he is at this point, and the Reds should either make use of that or move on with other options and relegate him to bench duty.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25