Turn Off Ads?
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Question on Bailey's focus

  1. #1
    malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    3,198

    Question on Bailey's focus

    Every time I see a pic of Bailey releasing the ball, he's not focusing anywhere near the catcher's mitt. Gawd only knows what he's looking at.

    Does he do that all the time? How can he have any control doing that?

    If he does it's small wonder he didn't pick up the ball off Pujol's bat.

    Which could be, uh, dangerous.
    Last edited by malcontent; 08-19-2009 at 07:26 PM.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Titletown, FL
    Posts
    3,855

    Re: Question on Bailey's focus

    Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    Every time I see a pic of Bailey releasing the ball, he's not focusing anywhere near the catcher's mitt. Gawd only knows what he's looking at.

    Does he do that all the time? How can he have any control doing that?
    I believe it's called using The Force.
    Founder and Ruling Elite of the Derrick Robinson Fan Club. Limited amount of memberships available.

  4. #3
    ZCTRMTP!!!!! texasdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    10,819

    Re: Question on Bailey's focus

    Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    Every time I see a pic of Bailey releasing the ball, he's not focusing anywhere near the catcher's mitt. Gawd only knows what he's looking at.

    Does he do that all the time? How can he have any control doing that?

    If he does it's small wonder he didn't pick up the ball off Pujol's bat.

    Which could be, uh, dangerous.
    I commented on this last year. I was doing extra credit in my Bakermetrics 101 class. Even when he is almost at his release point it appears that he is looking anywhere but his target. Maybe he is but in every picture I have seen that doesn't seem to be the case.

  5. #4
    malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    3,198

    Re: Question on Bailey's focus

    Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    I commented on this last year. I was doing extra credit in my Bakermetrics 101 class. Even when he is almost at his release point it appears that he is looking anywhere but his target. Maybe he is but in every picture I have seen that doesn't seem to be the case.
    I've never seen anything like it. It's not Fernandoesque...we're talking release point. Last pic I saw was on reds.mlb.com, from his last start I assume.

    I've no idea how often he does it but I assume it must be quite a bit.

    I didn't catch your thread about it, texasdave. Any recollection what other people thought?

  6. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Athens, GA
    Posts
    5

    Re: Question on Bailey's focus

    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    I believe it's called using The Force.
    I think he's using The Schwartz, Dude, and I think Homer got the down side.
    Go Reds, Go Herd, Go 'Dores

  7. #6
    Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Titletown, FL
    Posts
    3,855

    Re: Question on Bailey's focus

    Quote Originally Posted by Charlton View Post
    I think he's using The Schwartz, Dude, and I think Homer got the down side.
    The way he's pitched thus far in his MLB career, I'd tend to concur. Big time, dude.
    Founder and Ruling Elite of the Derrick Robinson Fan Club. Limited amount of memberships available.

  8. #7
    ZCTRMTP!!!!! texasdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    10,819

    Re: Question on Bailey's focus

    Why doesn't Bakermetrics work the same for pitchers as hitters? Homer has been trying to clog up those bases bigtime. But they all seem to score anyway, dude.

  9. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Athens, GA
    Posts
    5

    Re: Question on Bailey's focus

    I'm not worthy of being referred to as "Dude" - I certainly don't abide. That title is reserved for Mr. Jeffrey Lebowski alone.
    Go Reds, Go Herd, Go 'Dores

  10. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3,186

    Re: Question on Bailey's focus

    If Bailey's eyes are bouncing all over the place why doesnt the pitching coach do his job and work with Bailey to stabilize that? It sounds like when a hitter's eyes are leaving the ball on the swing, odds are even if you connect youre not going to make solid contact 9 out of 10 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by moewan View Post
    Barmaid to patron "Sir you are slurring, I am going to have to cut you off"

    Patron to barmaid "I'm not slurring, I'm speaking in cursive"


  11. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Weatherford, Texas
    Posts
    2,125

    Re: Question on Bailey's focus

    Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    If Bailey's eyes are bouncing all over the place why doesnt the pitching coach do his job and work with Bailey to stabilize that? It sounds like when a hitter's eyes are leaving the ball on the swing, odds are even if you connect youre not going to make solid contact 9 out of 10 times.
    Dude, its Dick Pole... Let me repeat that... Its Dick Pole.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25