Turn Off Ads?

Thread: How does Dorn look in AAA?

How does Dorn look in AAA?

Question for GOYA and others who have seen a lot of Louisville's games: does Dorn look like he could be part of a LF platoon in the bigs for 2010?

From what I have read about him he has always projected to be a decent RF/LF defensively and has always hit RHP. He has struggled vs LHP. So he has projected to be a platoon or bench player in the bigs. I know he started slow in AAA this year but has hit a lot better recently. Is he ready for the show? Could he make a cheap platoon partner with Gomes or Balentein in LF for the Reds next year.

thanks.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: How does Dorn look in AAA?

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    Question for GOYA and others who have seen a lot of Louisville's games: does Dorn look like he could be part of a LF platoon in the bigs for 2010?

From what I have read about him he has always projected to be a decent RF/LF defensively and has always hit RHP. He has struggled vs LHP. So he has projected to be a platoon or bench player in the bigs. I know he started slow in AAA this year but has hit a lot better recently. Is he ready for the show? Could he make a cheap platoon partner with Gomes or Balentein in LF for the Reds next year.

thanks.
    If given the chance, I believe Dorn could be a produtive major leaguer against RHP.

Yep, Dorn hits righties pretty well. His power seems to have dropped off as far as HRs but he hits doubles pretty regularly. He's not completely helpless against lefties either but not good.

Defense, about average. Maybe a tad under because he's a bit slow.

His bat is good enough for a really effective platoon with Gomes, IMO. Quick, line drive stroke with a bit of a penchant for K's. In the past, he's had a much better eye, but, this year, he's a bit of a hacker. This has resulted in less dingers (he really set up pitchers well and had an idea at the plate last year) and a much lower slugging percentage than he's enjoyed in the past.

I'm guessing this was his "prove me" year and he's done enough to have another look-see. He'll need to really hit well in ST to open some eyes and even then may not get a fair shake.

Resident PED Expert

I know his D is far below Nix but is his bat similar? Also are most of his HR and doubles pulled? If so, in GABP he might hit 15 to 20 HR in a platoon situation.

Yeah, he's a pull hitter, but, in AA, he was willing to spray the ball. This resulted in some oppo pop, especially as seen in doubles. I'm guessing, in his prime, Dorn hits somewhere around 25 homers as the dominant side of a LF platoon, assuming someone sees his value. Defensively, he's average to slightly above in LF, with slow feet but good OF instincts and an okay arm.

High baseball IQ, too. Most draftees of the past two to three years seem to own one of those.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Yeah, he's a pull hitter, but, in AA, he was willing to spray the ball. This resulted in some oppo pop, especially as seen in doubles. I'm guessing, in his prime, Dorn hits somewhere around 25 homers as the dominant side of a LF platoon, assuming someone sees his value. Defensively, he's average to slightly above in LF, with slow feet but good OF instincts and an okay arm.

High baseball IQ, too. Most draftees of the past two to three years seem to own one of those.
    A very good and fair evaluation. As Doug said last year to the question of Defense, a definite up-grade from AD at least. I think he and a Gomes could hit 35-40 HRs, and reach 100+ RBIs, and hit .270. That's a dang good LF, eh? I haven't seen him this year, but what impressed so many Baseball people last year was how Dorn had adjusted with a more compact swing, and was thus doing better against LHers, and as you noted, spraying it around.

Turn Off Ads?