Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 56 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: So how did Stubbs look out there?

So how did Stubbs look out there?

I can't watch the games so I'm curious if anyone caught Stubbs in his debut this evening. Obviously, we're talking a small sample size, but does he look as-advertised in the field and on the basepaths? How does he carry himself as a player? For some reason, I've always thought he was the type of guy whose game would develop gradually, and I still have hopes that he'll be Mike Cameron all over again. Anyone got visual evidence to support my hopes?
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Re: So how did Stubbs look out there?

He is definitely fast (got his first major league hit to shallow right field and ran it into a double) so I think that's as advertised but not much was hit to center field tonight so we didn't get to see him much in the field. One hit went slightly to his left and he couldn't quite catch up to it but that was back in the first inning and he had to be a nervous wreck at that point. I think now that he's gotten his first hit out of the way and his first official game in the books that he'll be more relaxed and ready to go tomorrow. I don't think he had a bad debut but it wasn't too much to write home about either.
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

CF just went from trainwreck to meh.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    Really? You mean defensively or overall?
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    Baby steps

If meh can eventually mean replacement level offense with superior defense I scream "Hell Yeah"!
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Drew had more hits tonight than Willy usually gets in one night, LOL
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherC1212 View Post
    Drew had more hits tonight than Willy usually gets in one night, LOL
    Maybe a week even

Quote Originally Posted by Tornon View Post
    Maybe a week even
    Actually, Willy has weaks

I liked his composure in his last at-bat. Would have been easy to start hacking down 0-2, but he battled back, and if not for a terrible call he would have walked against Wilson to set-up the 9th inning.

Had a really bad at-bat his 2nd time around against Zito. Took 2 pitches down the middle and then went hacking on a pitch in the dirt. Looked like he took a few strikes for the sake of it, and put himself in a bad position to end the at-bat.

BTW, the flyball heather was talking about was not catchable. He got a good jump on the ball and took a good route, it was just destined for the gap.

He looked to be an improvement in CF, but plays below Dickerson FWIW. We now have another 4th outfielder on the roster with superior defensive skills and speed. I don't think he's the solution either short or long term, but the kid will be useful.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    Had a really bad at-bat his 2nd time around against Zito. Took 2 pitches down the middle and then went hacking on a pitch in the dirt. Looked like he took a few strikes for the sake of it, and put himself in a bad position to end the at-bat.
    That has been my complaint about Stubbs this year. He tends to take good pitches earlier in the count simply to get deeper into counts. I hope someone can help him figure out that walks are good, but don't take meat pitches simply to take pitches.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    That has been my complaint about Stubbs this year. He tends to take good pitches earlier in the count simply to get deeper into counts. I hope someone can help him figure out that walks are good, but don't take meat pitches simply to take pitches.
    Ya, there's definitely a big difference between being selective, and just taking pitches.

I thought tonight was more of the latter.

I like how he looked in stretching the single into a double.
    http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/media...=cin&topic_id=
    If he keeps that up and can manage a decent obp we may have something.

He was 50% of their offense last night, so, he was teh awesome!

Needs to hit the weight room. Upper body looks kind of weak. This never would have happened five years ago.

Turn Off Ads?