Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 56 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Thread: So how did Stubbs look out there?

Re: So how did Stubbs look out there?

Congrats to Drew Stubbs on hitting his first major league home run today - a walkoff HR! Amazing. Jay Bruce's first major league HR was also a walkoff shot. I just saw the video and it was not a cheapie, Stubbs absolutely crushed that ball. Earlier in the game he just missed homering as he flied out to the wall in left. If he can show that power more often he can be a very good major leaguer, IMO.

That was the Reds first walkoff homer since Griffey hit one on June 30, 2008.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

How we looking?

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Congrats to Drew Stubbs on hitting his first major league home run today - a walkoff HR! Amazing. Jay Bruce's first major league HR was also a walkoff shot. I just saw the video and it was not a cheapie, Stubbs absolutely crushed that ball. Earlier in the game he just missed homering as he flied out to the wall in left. If he can show that power more often he can be a very good major leaguer, IMO.

That was the Reds first walkoff homer since Griffey hit one on June 30, 2008.
    IF- I agree. I hope he can (for his sake and ours.)
    Go BLUE!!!

Great moment for the kid, the team, whatever fans were there, maybe even RZ. Hope it picks everybody up.

to re-introduce an old refrain, can he pitch?

Stubbs: Joy and elation
    Posted by JohnFay at 8/20/2009 4:45 PM EDT on Cincinnati.com

Thursday started off a little rough for Drew Stubbs. He struck in three of his first four at-bats and he's widely labeled a failure on a certain blog.

“You’ve got to be able to put failure behind you,” Stubbs said. “You’re going to fail 70 percent of the time in this game. I was able to clear my head and put together a good at-bat.”

He took two pitches to get ahead 2-0 before launching a fastball that hit off the foul pole in left to give the Reds a 2-1, 10-inning win over the Giants.

“He was patient to get a good pitch to hit and he didn’t miss it,” Baker said. “I feel great for the young man.”

Stubbs only hit three home runs in 106 games for Louisville. But he knew he had one if the ball stayed fair.

“I knew I got it good enough,” Stubbs said. “Fortunately, it hit the foul pole.”

And his feeling?

“Joy and elation,” Stubbs said. “To hit a walk-off home run in the big leagues is something everyone dreams about doing one day.”

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs...cincinnati.com
    I miss Adam Dunn.

He looks like a bonafide major league centerfielder. Period.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Quote Originally Posted by VR View Post
    He looks like a bonafide major league centerfielder. Period.
    I would tend to agree with that, though he will need greatly improved contact at the plate in order to succeed. Regardless, I like him, and he's vastly superior to WT in CF.

My concern is that we already have a guy who I believe can play elite CF defense while posting a 370+OBP, and leading off (Chris Dickerson). Will the Reds use Stubbs as Dickerson's RHH platoon partner once Bruce returns, and beyond? Will he sometimes also spell Bruce versus LHP while staying in CF? Can he develop just facing LHP? Is he going to be a trading chip? Who is going to be the OF's big bopper to offset the relatively light production afforded by Dickerson, Stubbs, and Bruce (so far)?

I'm excited for Drew though, and excited about seeing more of him in CF for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    My concern is that we already have a guy who I believe can play elite CF defense while posting a 370+OBP, and leading off (Chris Dickerson). Will the Reds use Stubbs as Dickerson's RHH platoon partner once Bruce returns, and beyond? Will he sometimes also spell Bruce versus LHP while staying in CF? Can he develop just facing LHP? Is he going to be a trading chip? Who is going to be the OF's big bopper to offset the relatively light production afforded by Dickerson, Stubbs, and Bruce (so far)?
    They could do worse than start a Dickerson-Stubbs-Bruce OF next year. At least the defense would be stellar for sure... and the offense could surprise as well.
    "I’ll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. That’s just how I do things.” -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar

One trend that seems apparent with Stubbs, is that although he's never put up great stats anywhere, and has consistently lacked good power numbers, is that he's been able to keep his stats to an acceptable level each step of the way.

Usually when the numbers are year in and year out mediocre, that at some level it catches up to you, and those mediocre stats turn crappy. That hasn't happened, yet, and perhaps the major leagues will finally be the breaking point.

But I think to date, he's beaten a lot of the odds that have been stacked on his particular road to the majors (never being young for his level, and never putting up great stats).

I think the reason is that he has a really high baseball IQ. He learns what he needs to do to adjust to the level, and he has always had a sound approach at the plate. I think today he somewhat showed that. Being his 2nd major league game, it couldn't have been easy going through that game with 3 Ks, and up to that last at-bat a really dismal game. But he kept his head in the game, and kept to the patient approach rather than trying to force something into happening. In the end he got rewarded, and I think that if he keeps up with that type of process, he has more than enough talent to keep afloat, even right now in the majors (Despite the mediocre AAA numbers).

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    They could do worse than start a Dickerson-Stubbs-Bruce OF next year. At least the defense would be stellar for sure... and the offense could surprise as well.
    I totally understand this sentiment and I know what you're saying. I'd prefer they do something that turns that into:

"We know the defense and offense will be stellar."

Can you dig it?
    "Bring on Rod Stupid!"

One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    I would tend to agree with that, though he will need greatly improved contact at the plate in order to succeed. Regardless, I like him, and he's vastly superior to WT in CF.

I'm excited for Drew though, and excited about seeing more of him in CF for now.
    Well I think ideally, you want to have 4 good OF'ders. If both Dickerson and Stubbs truly turn out to be those type of players, the Reds will be able to spot them in favourable match-ups, and have depth when injuries arise. There's more than enough at-bats for 4 guys out there, especially one that can play elite defense. So I think ideally, Stubbs and Dickerson share CF, with Bruce, and a good hitting LF'der to be named is your OF. The rest sorts itself out if they are all hitting well.

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    I totally understand this sentiment and I know what you're saying. I'd prefer they do something that turns that into:

"We know the defense and offense will be stellar."

Can you dig it?
    I can totally dig it. I'm just not sure it's realistic. A Stubbs-Dickerson-Bruce OF, OTOH, is realistic of Teh Dusty and Walt just put their minds to it. Those guys are young, they can all go get it, and they all have potential to post OBPs of .350 or higher, I think. Those two things by themselves would make such a trip a vast improvement over the OFs of recent Reds pasts. Let these guys grow together, I say!
    "I’ll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. That’s just how I do things.” -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

The consensus on Stubbs, so far as I'd heard here and elsewhere, said that he was off-the-charts good in the field and on the basepaths, he's patient at the plate, and he doesn't actually hit all that well. So far, so accurate. He's going to struggle to hit, but if he can sit on and crush the occasional behind-in-the-count or get-ahead fastball just often enough to discourage pitchers from blithely throwing it over the plate, he ought to be able to draw enough walks to prop up the OBP. Really, the rest of his game is so good, he'll be a valuable player if he can just avoid being an out machine.
    Not all who wander are lost

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    Well I think ideally, you want to have 4 good OF'ders. If both Dickerson and Stubbs truly turn out to be those type of players, the Reds will be able to spot them in favourable match-ups, and have depth when injuries arise. There's more than enough at-bats for 4 guys out there, especially one that can play elite defense. So I think ideally, Stubbs and Dickerson share CF, with Bruce, and a good hitting LF'der to be named is your OF. The rest sorts itself out if they are all hitting well.
    I'd be thrilled with precisely that scenario. First Walt has to acquire the LF, then Dusty has to maximize the aforementioned OF rotation properly. I'm not sure I expect either to happen, even though it's so obvious.

Turn Off Ads?