Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Marc Katz: Stories of lol

Re: Marc Katz: Stories of lol

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    The main problem is they have to create rosters and top guys tend to sign at the deadline after a long college baseball season. If they were playing all these guys in low a ball for 2 weeks it puts a pretty big kink into the system. Now if they can play at the end of the year its one thing but a lot of these guys barely play at any level the year they are drafted. I think its kind of a lot to ask that college kids hit Dayton level.
    I don't think it should be that way for every organization but I think in this case having at least your #1 and #2 picks go thru Dayton even if it's just briefly helps a whole lot more than it could hurt in any way. If nothing else you could call it them getting their season legs under them and started off on the right foot. The long lasting effects from Dayton Fans supporting Reds players can be huge for the organization.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redsof72 View Post
    Doug, I would have to take issue with you. If you think the Reds are sending players to Dayton that should be in Sarasota, and the Dayton team is still consistently way under .500 every year with the exception of 2007, what does that say about their talent level? Fort Wayne had many, many top level college players this season (Clark, Carroll, Darnell, Dykstra, Tekotte, and the list goes on and on.).
    I think the Reds send too many polished college players to Dayton in their first full season. That generally isn't more than 1 or 2 guys per year, so I don't think it says a whole lot one way or the other.

Katz and I don't always agree on players or player decisions. We had a nice discussion about Francisco tonight while watching the Bats game from the press box between innings. He is a bit higher on him than I am right now.

The minor leagues don't really have much say in the relationship. Yes, it is a relationship, but the minor league team has as much power in the relationship as one of Henry the 8th's wives. I guess there is some give and take, but the give and take happens at the margins. The MLB team has 95% of the power while the minor league team gets to say things like "tonight was good, he didn't chop my head off."

The power differential isn't even close and most fans are quite fine with that....doesn't make it right.

From a fan standpoint, tossing my dollars to a low-A club for a 17 game pack every year watching a sub .500 team is getting as bad as making a one-hour trip 3-5 times a year to see a sub .500 major league team.

There will be a lot of waiting list people becoming very happy next year. And I'll predict that the sell-out streak is over in 2010 in Dayton. There are a ton of people who are disgruntled or can't afford them anymore. $800 for what I get is not worth my time, so I gave them back.

If the Reds wanted to make Dayton a crown jewel, they'd suck it up and place them in a pain-in-the-arse AA Eastern League. I understand the minor league way of purchasing franchises, but a AA team might pique more interest.

And if the Reds leave the Dragons, the Dragons are done. Toast.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I think the Reds send too many polished college players to Dayton in their first full season. That generally isn't more than 1 or 2 guys per year, so I don't think it says a whole lot one way or the other.

Katz and I don't always agree on players or player decisions. We had a nice discussion about Francisco tonight while watching the Bats game from the press box between innings. He is a bit higher on him than I am right now.
    Why were you in the pressbox?

Quote Originally Posted by JayBruceFan View Post
    Why were you in the pressbox?
    I have a press pass with the Dragons.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    From a fan standpoint, tossing my dollars to a low-A club for a 17 game pack every year watching a sub .500 team is getting as bad as making a one-hour trip 3-5 times a year to see a sub .500 major league team.

There will be a lot of waiting list people becoming very happy next year. And I'll predict that the sell-out streak is over in 2010 in Dayton. There are a ton of people who are disgruntled or can't afford them anymore. $800 for what I get is not worth my time, so I gave them back.

If the Reds wanted to make Dayton a crown jewel, they'd suck it up and place them in a pain-in-the-arse AA Eastern League. I understand the minor league way of purchasing franchises, but a AA team might pique more interest.

And if the Reds leave the Dragons, the Dragons are done. Toast.
    It's really not as hard to get tickets as they make it out to be. I went on the waiting list in 2007, and I was offered season tickets in '08 and '09. I don't think the waiting list is as tough to crack as Mandalay wants you to believe. I haven't accepted the 17 game pack yet due to kids and/or budget restraints. But I will accept it someday, as long as it's a Reds affiliate. Like you said, if the Reds aren't the Dragons' affiliate, the attendance will fall back in line with other low A clubs, like Ft. Wayne, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by OesterPoster View Post
    It's really not as hard to get tickets as they make it out to be. I went on the waiting list in 2007, and I was offered season tickets in '08 and '09. I don't think the waiting list is as tough to crack as Mandalay wants you to believe. I haven't accepted the 17 game pack yet due to kids and/or budget restraints. But I will accept it someday, as long as it's a Reds affiliate. Like you said, if the Reds aren't the Dragons' affiliate, the attendance will fall back in line with other low A clubs, like Ft. Wayne, etc.
    If the Reds aren't the Dragons affiliate, I don't think they can exist. The Reds have to allow them to exist because they are so close to the Reds market. I believe that if they were to leave the Reds then the Reds would still have to approve them.

Resident PED Expert

Maybe, but have you seen how bad the AA teams have done the last couple years? So it wouldn't have to be about wins and losses, it would have to be about going out and seeing the prospects.

Arguibly the Dayton squad has more interesting talent on it than any team in the system short of the GCL.

Fellhauser, Wiley, Puckett, Oliveras, Coddington, Mendez, Sosa, Rojas, Infante, Serrano, Joseph all are players who will be moving up next year.

The replacements in Billings are not anything to be excited about. Best players on next years squads will be Oliveras, Means, Sulbaran, Snowden, Gregorius, Wuo and maybe Yorman...

Turn Off Ads?