Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: For those who play baseball simluation games - New 'Out of the Park' in March

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

For those who play baseball simluation games - New 'Out of the Park' in March

I mention this because I've heard SC Red and others mention that they play.

Good game, and I really like the planned improvements for March.

New & Updated Features in Out of the Park Baseball 5

Brand new, completely rebuilt artificial intelligence engine, which impacts the game's financial model, player evaluation, trading and roster management

New Manager Mode allows you to be hired (or fired!) and compile a career as a team manager and/or general manager

Improved interface, with hyperlinked player and team names

Support for mouse scroll wheels for roster and statistics browsing

Game will ship with three different interface 'skins'

Most reports (including box scores, etc.) will be displayed in separate HTML windows (multiple windows possible)

Interface sounds and music, in-game stadium ambient sounds

Optional role-playing element in Manager Mode - date women, marry and build a family, and if you are lucky, maybe raise a son with baseball skills who can enter the draft pool when he's 18-22 years old. Just be careful with your wife - a divorce is expensive!

Enhanced minor league system with basic team W-L records, better reports and presentation. An option for required full minor league rosters will be there as well.

More robust spring training period

Complete tracking of career minor league statistics for every player

Complete tracking of career postseason statistics

Enhanced importing of historical season data, featuring more accurate ratings calculations, new ballpark effects, and accurate outfield positions

New player development algorithms, resulting in more variability in player development in historical careers

New financial coefficient allows gamers to adjust salary demands and game financial data to historical leagues

New team and manager strategy settings, including individual stealing tendencies, setting pitch-counts for pitchers, and staff rotation mode settings

New Player Tracker lets you keep tabs on any player in the game and quickly see how he is performing

New simulation options, including the ability to easily simulate multiple seasons at a time

New and improved importing and exporting tools for transferring rosters and player ratings

Other enhancement and additions, such as a new star-based player rating system, and new reports such as team power rankings and minor league system rankings

----One comment, I found it a bit odd that they assume EVERYONE who plays the game is a male, given the role playing "divorce your wife" element.
    Stick to your guns.

Time is the Revelator.
    I can't wait. Sounds great.

I'll be getting three baseball games this spring.

- Out Of The Park 5 [PC]
    - All Star Baseball 2004 [PS2]
    - High Heat Baseball 2004 [PS2 or PC]

I enjoy baseball simulations, though it's hard to find good ones. I bought Baseball Mogul 2002 a while ago and played it some, but it sounds to me like this is a much more advanced game.

Out of the Park's in-game feature is NOT GOOD in my opinion. There isn't even a pitch by pitch mode, making it impossible to run on a 3-2 count, etc. But it's general manager mode is outstanding. It's too bad they can't fuse the graphics of High Heat, the general manager mode of Out of the Park, and the in-game mode of the Earl Weaver and Tony LaRussa games of years past.
    Stick to your guns.

Yup, I am literally drooling in anticipation....my wife is too...just so I'll shut up about it. For those who have not played it, it is, far and away, the absolute best baseball sim ever made. Here are the latest screen shots...enjoy OOTP 5 Screen shots

I've played Baseball Mogul 2003, and I love High Heat. I've also heard a lot of folks talking about OOTP5.

So I will get High Heat, and may get OOTP5.

High Heat has had a lot of bugs in the last 2 editions, but they swear they're going to get better. I actually didn't even buy the last one, and I think I've been a lot more productive in the last year, having not done so
    Stick to your guns.

You guys have to get EA Sports new Game MVP baseball 2003.

I get advanced copy and it's AMAZING.

The franchise mode is great. Trades, draft, development of players, momentum meter for the season, impact games that affect players stamina more than others (Example Reds vs Cardinals get's your players to play a little better, but wear down more than playing the Expos.

There are a ton of other things. EA has had crap with Triple Play for three years because they have been developing this game. This game is the best I have ever played.

I wasn't impressed with the triple click to pitch and throw.

At almost 43 yrs old, my reflexes aren't what they were. Madden's kicking meter give me fits, and MVP looks to use the same type of interface.

Cruisin' for trouble
    Looks like High Heat is incorporating more from a GMs perspective this year with a salary structure and better drafting possibilities. I've been a fan, but it's been pretty much the same ol' same ol' for the last couple years. This year's model looks much improved.

Question

I am looking for a game.

I want a game where hand-eye coordination is not necessary, but let's you do GM and possibly field manager moves.

I also prefer made up players that you have to figure out as opposed to simming real player years. I mean, one game I played was kind of silly.. you knew before a the first game of the season that Jeff Bagwell was going to have a crappy first half of the season, and then finish strong. I guess it would be ok to use real players if they weren't completely predicatable.

Any recommedations based on those preferences?
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar
    The best place to start is Baseball Mogul 2003 (new version this spring, I'm sure). You're basically the GM, farm director, marketing director, and owner. Pick any team; based on who you choose, you'll have an easier (NY) or harder (Montreal) time of it financially. You start in the current year with real players, but new ones come in over time. By 2020 you've got all cyber-players. The website says it better:

Sports Mogul

It's also showed up on Kazaa, not that I would ever condone such piracy. Price is only $19.95 to download from the company's website. Be sure to get the patches as well.

I'm going to try OOTP5 this year, but I really think BM is a really good introduction to a different type of baseball game. I've spent a whole boatload of time playing it.

I'm a Strat-o-Matic man myself. It's been able to hold my attention for 17 years.

All dyslexics must untie!
    What's the best PS-2 baseball simulator to play against a 7-10 year old, especially if you don't want them to start kicking your butt right away? (older versions included, I'd rather buy used off eBay, etc)
    Never overlook the obvious

Re: Question

Originally posted by REDREAD
    I am looking for a game.
    I've only played the demo of baseball mogul, but I liked out of the park better. Here's a site where they review both, and some others

http://baseballsimcentral.com/

You can create completely false names for out of the park. I would wait until it comes out in March.
    Stick to your guns.

Turn Off Ads?