Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So Harang and Arroyo still don't have trade value, really?

Re: So Harang and Arroyo still don't have trade value, really?

What about Pedro in to close for the playoffs?

Ryan Madsen seems to have the makeup to close.

That is assuming...
    1 Lee
    2 Hamels
    3 Blanton (in some order)

Rinse repeat as the rotation.
    Quote Originally Posted by moewan View Post
    Barmaid to patron "Sir you are slurring, I am going to have to cut you off"

Patron to barmaid "I'm not slurring, I'm speaking in cursive"

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    What about Pedro in to close for the playoffs?
    Ya know, I doubt that will happen but I wonder why the Phillies didn't contact John Smoltz about closing before the Cards signed him... Maybe Smoltz just wanted to Start...

Interesting though... Interesting...

I would Love for the Reds to move Cordero and his Salary Next Year to the Phillies and get a Top Prospect in Return... This trade makes a lot of sense...

Quote Originally Posted by Hondo View Post
    Ya know, I doubt that will happen but I wonder why the Phillies didn't contact John Smoltz about closing before the Cards signed him... Maybe Smoltz just wanted to Start...

Interesting though... Interesting...

I would Love for the Reds to move Cordero and his Salary Next Year to the Phillies and get a Top Prospect in Return... This trade makes a lot of sense...
    I doubt if many would just for the payflex. The question becomes with the money saved do you go out and try and get someone like afforementioned Billy Wagner (when whatever team doesnt pick up the option), John Smoltz, or Trevor Hoffman (to complete the circle) or do you stay young and cheaper and give it to someone in house?

This question isnt just for Hondo, as many have woahd about Cordero's contract.
    Last edited by Slyder; 08-21-2009 at 03:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
    If this was the case everyone in need of pitching would want them.We also would be a better team then what we are right now and probably wouldn't want to trade them.

I wouldn't want to get rid of them simply because I think we have seen the two of them at their worse(especially Harang) and if we want to trade them, this time next year is when the return would be the highest considering the expiring contracts and anticipated performance improvements.And who knows?Maybe we might need them for a playoff run of our own.
    Dunno if we would be any better seeing what we have this year. I mean, Harang and Arroyo have had their fair share of 6, 7 plus run implosions in less than 3 innings. I don't think those games went on to be 11-10 losses, more like we just got beat by 8 or 9 instead or 4 or 5.

If Arroyo cut out his first inning implosions against teams like Toronto, and just cut the runs given up in half, instead of getting destroyed, his ERA would be a good amount lower. We wouldn't have those games any more than him giving up 10 though, so its kind of moot.

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Perhaps we're all missing the obvious.

I am in the minority around here insofar as my belief that we can and should contend next year. I believe it even more now that we've got Rolen on board and we've jettisoned Seabass. Tavares may have a career-threatening hammy pull which helps immeasurably. Clearly the FO also believes we're a competing team next year with the move to pick up Rolen.

We all know we've got no Volquez until at least July of next year. I think our FO is going to use the rest of the season to evaluate what Homer might contribute next year. Certainly not a sure thing that he'll pitch his way into the 2010 rotation, although I believe he will.

So when you consider we're already down arguably our best pitcher for at least 2/3rds of next year, Bailey and Maloney certainly are not sure things and our FA money should be spent on an OF and SS, does it make any sense to deal off 2 proven, dependable starters? Doesn't make much to me unless you'd be getting back someone you could conceivably toss into the rotation next year or use the money you'd save on a FA SP, and there aren't many FA's out there in 2010 that excite me.
    Last edited by TheBigLebowski; 08-21-2009 at 05:43 PM.
    Founder and Ruling Elite of the Derrick Robinson Fan Club. Limited amount of memberships available.

Actually, something just occurred to me - the "pitching and defense" strat didn't do much for us this year, so maybe we're going the opposite direction next year. We'll deal off Harang/Arroyo/Cordero/etc and we'll go into the season with a mantra of "Cueto, Lehr, then bring plenty of beer."
    Founder and Ruling Elite of the Derrick Robinson Fan Club. Limited amount of memberships available.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    Actually, something just occurred to me - the "pitching and defense" strat didn't do much for us this year, so maybe we're going the opposite direction next year. We'll deal off Harang/Arroyo/Cordero/etc and we'll go into the season with a mantra of "Cueto, Lehr, then bring plenty of beer."
    Well Played Good Sir. Heres some imaginary rep for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    Well Played Good Sir. Heres some imaginary rep for you.
    Gracias.

Recovering Cubs Fan

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    Perhaps we're all missing the obvious.

I am in the minority around here insofar as my belief that we can and should contend next year. I believe it even more now that we've got Rolen on board and we've jettisoned Seabass. Tavares may have a career-threatening hammy pull which helps immeasurably. Clearly the FO also believes we're a competing team next year with the move to pick up Rolen.

We all know we've got no Volquez until at least July of next year. I think our FO is going to use the rest of the season to evaluate what Homer might contribute next year. Certainly not a sure thing that he'll pitch his way into the 2010 rotation, although I believe he will.

So when you consider we're already down arguably our best pitcher for at least 2/3rds of next year, Bailey and Maloney certainly are not sure things and our FA money should be spent on an OF and SS, does it make any sense to deal off 2 proven, dependable starters? Doesn't make much to me unless you'd be getting back someone you could conceivably toss into the rotation next year or use the money you'd save on a FA SP, and there aren't many FA's out there in 2010 that excite me.
    This is the same FO that thought Willie Taveras should receive five million dollars in exchange for slowly torturing the fan base. I like your mantra better, and I'll even add to it: "Bruce and Votto and get freaking blotto"
    FIRE DUSTY Never mind. The man is clearly a genius.

Turn Off Ads?