Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 36 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: 2010 MLB draft

Re: 2010 MLB draft

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    That writer is an idiot who either got the quote without context or took it out of context himself. I heard the entire statement. He didn't say that he wasn't in their top 10. He simply explained that if his scouts had him outside of it that they weren't going to draft him simply because everyone else loved him.
    Then I apologize to Neal Huntington and redirect my snark at Dejan Kovacevic of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

This is a "transcript" of the response.
    http://bucsbits.mlblogs.com/archives...-a_take_2.html
    Last year you said that if Stephen Strasburg dropped to No. 4 in the Draft, you would take him. Can you say the same about Bryce Harper if he drops to No. 2 this year?

Huntington: No. There's light years difference in the two players. Stephen Strasburg is an advanced college pitcher, arguably the best amateur college pitcher ever. We applaud the Washington Nationals for selecting him and are a little bit envious
    We like Bryce Harper, but I can't tell you Bryce Harper is right now in our Top 10. He's getting a lot of hype and publicity. I almost feel bad for the guy because he's going to have to live up to being the next LeBron James.

We will scout Bryce Harper, we will put him on the board and if he's the right player, we'll take him. We're not just going to pick a player because publications like him. We'll select the player that we think is best when we pick.
    That reporter's disclaimer
    Note No. 1: I can only type so fast, so I promise that the transcription of this Q-and-A is 87 percent word-for-word. I tried to furiously type as questions were being asked/answered, but I can only be so quick.

Note No. 2: For those of you who plan on attending Saturday's session and asking something, please keep the questions short. I'm sure you have vast baseball knowledge or want to make sure your point is heard or want to sound smarter than the next person, but when a question becomes a dissertation, no one follows you. Just saying...

Note No. 3: I paraphrased the questions. Thank me later. And not every question was able to make it in here. Please forgive me.
    Last edited by klw; 01-31-2010 at 08:35 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

While he may have just been talking in GM-speak, if his scouts tell him there is someone better, they should probably fire the scout because this kid is a "once in a geration" kind of player.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tripleaaaron View Post
    While he may have just been talking in GM-speak, if his scouts tell him there is someone better, they should probably fire the scout because this kid is a "once in a geration" kind of player.
    http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Obviously, there's more to evaluating amateur talent than just the stats in a JC opening weekend. Talking to a couple of the 100 or so scouts reportedly in attendance provides a little more detail, and some mixed opinions, of how Harper looked as his team went 4-0.

Offensively, there was a lot to like. He's got a good approach at the plate, especially for his age, and seems to see the ball well. He's got plus raw power and even though he's still not physically mature, he's got serious pop to the opposite field.

There is a little divergence over just how good an all-around hitter he'll be. One scout had no doubt that he'll hit plenty, while another felt that Harper will hit plenty of balls out of the park, but will swing and miss enough to keep the batting average down. It's a mechanical flaw in his swing, where he gets out on his front foot way too early and his bat drags through the zone.....

"I can tell you right now, it will not be a simple evaluation," said another scout. "I don't think any of us have ever scouted a 17-year-old against 20-year-olds using a wood bat. We know the kid is good,and I can project with the best of them, but this isn't going to be the slam-dunk the media portrays it to be."

Those other scouts in attendance mentioned above agree. While it's way too early to know for sure where he should -- much less where he will -- go on Draft day, putting the No. 1 crown on his head would be way too premature.

"He's playing up at age 17, there's a lot of pressure on him, a lot of people are watching him play," one scout said. "But I can definitely tell you he's not the best player in the country. He's by no means a slam-dunk type of a talent."

The clip above of Harper hitting reminded me for some reason of JD Drew. I don't know if that is accurate but that was the name that popped in my mind. It may have just been how he carried himself in the batter's box.

Apparently you can find a scout that will say whatever you want him to. I guess that will always be the case. A page ago you had him as better than Strasburg with the best bat speed that has ever been seen by scouts and now he's not even the top talent and you understand why he's not in the Pirates top 10? Which is it? Everyone has holes, no 16 or even 18 year old kid is going to jump straight to the MLB. The fact remains that he has off-the-charts talent and is a clear #1. Anyone saying otherwise is praying that the Nationals are stupid enough to pass on him so they can snatch him up or else they need to reevaluate their scouting department.

Quote Originally Posted by tripleaaaron View Post
    Apparently you can find a scout that will say whatever you want him to. I guess that will always be the case. A page ago you had him as better than Strasburg with the best bat speed that has ever been seen by scouts and now he's not even the top talent and you understand why he's not in the Pirates top 10? Which is it? Everyone has holes, no 16 or even 18 year old kid is going to jump straight to the MLB. The fact remains that he has off-the-charts talent and is a clear #1. Anyone saying otherwise is praying that the Nationals are stupid enough to pass on him so they can snatch him up or else they need to reevaluate their scouting department.
    Its you not understanding what I was trying to say. The Pirates never said he wasn't in their Top 10. They said that if their scouts were to hold that belief that they wouldn't draft him simply because everyone else thinks that highly of him. Huntington was basically saying that he is going to draft who his scouts tell him is the best available guy and that there is a chance that Harper may not be that guy and if he isn't, they won't take him simply because others think that way. I was agreeing with that hypothetical situation. If your scouts tell you someone else is better, you take that someone else. That is all I was agreeing with. Harper is the #1 guy though in my book and in a whole lot others (likely including the Pirates).

Any recent ranking? Who might be viable picks @ #12? I'd like a starter or a bat with big-time power potential (3B or OF)

Harper's team is playing a double header tonight. Game 1 went well: 3-5 with a HR, 2 doubles and 6 RBI.

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    Any recent ranking? Who might be viable picks @ #12? I'd like a starter or a bat with big-time power potential (3B or OF)
    A VERY early version of the top 8 guys I like for the Reds in this draft (assuming Harper and Tallion are off the board):

Christian Colon SS Cal-State Fullerton
    Yordy Cabrera SS HS
    Manny Machado SS HS
    Drew Pomeranz LHP Mississippi
    James Paxton LHP Kentucky
    Josh Sale OF HS
    Austin Wilson OF HS
    Yasmani Grandal C Miami (in the 2nd round)
    Go BLUE!!!

Christian Colon SS Cal-State Fullerton
    Yordy Cabrera SS HS
    Manny Machado SS HS
    Drew Pomeranz LHP Mississippi
    James Paxton LHP Kentucky
    Josh Sale OF HS
    Austin Wilson OF HS
    Yasmani Grandal C Miami (in the 2nd round)
    My "list" is very similar at this point. Kinda hoping they'll take a hitter first this year. I especially like Colon.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    My "list" is very similar at this point. Kinda hoping they'll take a hitter first this year. I especially like Colon.
    Me too. He would be my top choice at this point assuming Harper/Tallion are off the board. But don't worry, the Reds NEVER take the guy I want, so you can pretty much rule Colon out.
    Go BLUE!!!

2010 Mock Draft Selections (picking for Rays)

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

Would James Paxson be a good possability for the Reds with the 12th Pick? Who else do you think might be available?

Being a student at tOSU, a couple of guys to watch their stocks are C Dan Burkhart and RHSP Alex Wimmers. Wimmers is projected as a late first-supplemental-early second pick, while Burkhart isn't as highly rated, but produces great numbers on what should be a very strong Ohio State offense this year.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Turn Off Ads?