Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: 2010 MLB draft

Re: 2010 MLB draft

we're making a stong push for a pick that matters!
    2010 Mock Draft Selections (picking for Rays)

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

2. Turn Off Ads?

I hope we lose every game for the rest of the year. I want Harper. Bad.

The thing is: if the Reds finish the season by going 8-31, the National have to go 17-18 to pass the Reds and give us the first pick (and that doesn't even consider that the Royals may not pass us)...The Nationals are pretty bad, to expect them to play .500 ball is unlikely. I would guess that we will fall into the 2nd or 3rd pick though which should yield a pretty good player.

Bum

Agree with Bum -- chances are not good the Reds will get the #1. I'd throw out a word of caution re: Harper. Apparently he did not look particularly good at the AFLAC game (some report even used the word "overmatched"). Plus, he's going to have a TON of pressure on him from here on out, and that's tough on a kid, especially one as young as Harper.

Quote Originally Posted by Bumstead View Post
    The thing is: if the Reds finish the season by going 8-31, the National have to go 17-18 to pass the Reds and give us the first pick (and that doesn't even consider that the Royals may not pass us)...The Nationals are pretty bad, to expect them to play .500 ball is unlikely. I would guess that we will fall into the 2nd or 3rd pick though which should yield a pretty good player.

Bum
    You are right it doesn't look like there are 17 wins on here. Lots of games left versus playoff contenders.
    http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/teams/s.../printable/WAS
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Agree with Bum -- chances are not good the Reds will get the #1. I'd throw out a word of caution re: Harper. Apparently he did not look particularly good at the AFLAC game (some report even used the word "overmatched"). Plus, he's going to have a TON of pressure on him from here on out, and that's tough on a kid, especially one as young as Harper.
    I hope he does struggle. A lot. So then Cincinnati can sign him on potential with the third pick. It almost doesn't matter what he does at this point. His talent is going to get him picked top five.

If he struggles the Reds wont pick him then knowing the Reds.

Resident PED Expert

It's almost a lock that Harper is the #1 Pick. Royals should get the #2 and us or the Pirates #3.

If we get the 3rd and Harper is #1, that means we get the best College arm or the best College bat at #3. Heck even at 4 we still might if the Pirates draft on signablity. Next years draft can go along way to restocking the farm system and give us a late 2011 ready prospect...

So who projects to be the best arm and bat in college next year?

Have to remember the Boras factor. Like nemesis mentioned with the pirates how signable these guys will be will be a factor.

If not Harper, my choices would be the OF'r Bryce Brentz or HS pitcher Jameson Taillon who dominated said AFLAC game..

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

Im a huge Bryce Brentz fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Grande Donkey View Post
    Im a huge Bryce Brentz fan.
    Yup.... strong RH bat is exactly what this organization needs.... And even Bruce isn't a sure thing at this point...

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

Resident PED Expert

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today...09/268869.html

Harper's The Highlight

Catcher leads the way, but 2010 draft is filled with pitchers

Compiled by Conor Glassey
    September 16, 2009

E-mail Print

Before the 2009 draft was even over, Baseball America was already looking to the future. After attending numerous high school showcase events and researching 18 summer college leagues and the collegiate national team, our picture of the 2010 draft class began to take shape.

Like this year, when 11 of the first 15 players selected were pitchers, the strength of next year's class appears to be on the mound. Over the past 20 years, there have been just four drafts where 10 or more pitchers were taken within the first 15 picks, and the 2010 draft could mark the first time it's happened back-to-back.

"I think there's some righthanded pitching," a National League scouting director said. "There are some guys there that have the chance to be big-time arms. (Karsten) Whitson, (Robbie) Aviles has a good arm, (Jameson) Taillon down in Texas. There has a chance to be some power arms."

But most of the top pitchers, especially on the prep side, are righthanders.

"I don't see any lefthanded pitching," the scouting director said. "Last year there were three (high school lefthanders) taken in the top 18, and I just haven't seen that this year. It's probably never really a strength of the draft, but I think it's one of the weaker lefthanded years."

The consensus is that the high school class is stronger than the college crop.

"I'm just not that excited about the college class in any direction," the scouting director said. "I think there's some college arms, but the college bats are a little bit down from what I've seen. I didn't think the Cape had a lot of real strong bat guys. There were some power arms, but more bullpen guys than starter guys, and not a lot of athletic position players."

Harper Hoopla

Last year, the spotlight was on San Diego State righthander Stephen Strasburg. He lived up to the massive hype and became the first overall pick by the Nationals, signing for a record $7.5 million bonus as part of a $15.1 million guaranteed contract. If 2009 was known as the Stephen Strasburg draft, prepare yourself for Bryce Harper mania.

Harper, a catcher from Las Vegas, was the first-ever sophomore to win Baseball America's High School Player of the Year award after he hit .626 with 14 home runs and 36 stolen bases. He's already half teenager, half legend, capable of hitting 570-foot home runs or throwing 96 mph. A cover of Sports Illustrated called him, "The Most Exciting Prodigy Since LeBron."

With nothing left to prove in high school, Harper opted to forego his junior and senior seasons at Las Vegas High by enrolling at CC of Southern Nevada, where he's scheduled to play next season once he passes his GED test.

Playing college ball as a 17-year-old will be a challenge, but Harper will have a strong support system in place. He will be able to live at home, and his brother Bryan—a pitcher—will join him on the team as a transfer from Cal State Northridge.

The 2010 draft is still nine months away and many things can (and will) change between now and then, but the charts above provide the first snapshot of the top talent for next year's class.

COLLEGE TOP 25 DRAFT PROSPECTS
    1. Bryce Harper, c CC of Southern Nevada
    2. Anthony Ranaudo, rhp Louisiana State
    3. Deck McGuire, rhp Georgia Tech
    4. LeVon Washington, of Chipola (Fla.) JC
    5. Chris Sale, lhp Florida Gulf Coast
    6. Christian Colon, ss Cal State Fullerton
    7. James Paxton, lhp Kentucky^
    8. Zack Cox, 3b Arkansas*
    9. Alex Wimmers, rhp Ohio State
    10. Rick Hague, ss Rice
    11. Drew Pomeranz, lhp Mississippi
    12. Jedd Gyorko, 3b/2b West Virginia
    13. Bryan Morgado, lhp Tennessee
    14. Chad Bettis, rhp Texas Tech
    15. Bryce Brentz, of Middle Tennessee State
    16. Brandon Workman rhp, Texas
    17. Sam Dyson, rhp South Carolina
    18. Jesse Hahn, rhp Virginia Tech
    19. Brett Eibner, of/rhp Arkansas
    20. Todd Cunningham, of Jacksonville State
    21. Kyle Blair, rhp San Diego
    22. Jarrett Parker, of Virginia
    23. Justin Grimm, rhp Georgia
    24. Gary Brown, of Cal State Fullerton
    25. Rob Brantly, c UC Riverside*
    * Draft-eligible sophomore,
    ^ Senior*

TOP 25 HIGH SCHOOL DRAFT PROSPECTS
    1. Jameson Taillon, rhp The Woodlands (Texas) HS
    2. A.J. Cole, rhp Oviedo (Fla.) HS
    3. Karsten Whitson, rhp Chipley (Fla.) HS
    4. Manny Machado, ss Brito HS, Miami
    5. Stetson Allie, rhp/3b St. Edward HS, Lakewood, Ohio
    6. Austin Wilson, of Harvard-Westlake HS, Los Angeles
    7. Kris Bryant, 3b Bonanza HS, Las Vegas
    8. Nick Castellanos, 3b Archbishop McCarthy HS, SW Ranches, Fla.
    9. Kevin Gausman, rhp Grandview HS, Centennial, Colo.
    10. Josh Sale, of Bishop Blanchet HS, Seattle
    11. Chavez Clarke, of Marietta (Ga.) HS
    12. Yordy Cabrera, ss/rhp Lakeland (Fla.) HS
    13. Garin Cecchini, ss Barbe HS, Lake Charles, La.
    14. Dylan Covey, rhp Maranatha HS, Pasadena, Calif.
    15. Stefan Sabol, c/of Aliso Niquel HS, Aliso Viejo, Calif.
    16. Brian Ragira, of Martin HS, Arlington, Texas
    17. Kaleb Cowart, 3b/rhp Cook HS, Adel, Ga.
    18. Justin O'Conner, ss/rhp Cowan HS, Muncie, Ind.
    19. Drew Cisco, rhp, Wando HS Mount Pleasant, S.C.
    20. A.J. Vanegas, rhp Redwood Christian HS, San Lorenzo, Calif.
    21. Cameron Bedrosian, rhp
    East Coweta HS, Sharpsburg, Ga.
    22. Robbie Aviles, rhp Suffern (N.Y.) HS
    23. Aaron Sanchez, rhp Barstow (Calif.) HS
    24. Michael Lorenzen, of/rhp Union HS, Fullerton, Calif.
    25. Drew Vettleson, of/rhp/lhp Central Kitsap HS, Silverdale, Wash.
    Last edited by Gallen5862; 09-17-2009 at 05:55 PM.

I have to say, although there's quite likely no possible way we could draft Harper, I'm still excited to see him get drafted. If the Nats do end up taking him (as they should), they should be an interesting team to watch.

Turn Off Ads?