Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 36 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: 2010 MLB draft

Re: 2010 MLB draft

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    That's one of the reasons that I prefer a college arm because most of the development has already been done.
    Sometimes, though much less than it used to be, most of the damage has already been done.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 11larkin11 View Post
    Being a student at tOSU, a couple of guys to watch their stocks are C Dan Burkhart and RHSP Alex Wimmers. Wimmers is projected as a late first-supplemental-early second pick, while Burkhart isn't as highly rated, but produces great numbers on what should be a very strong Ohio State offense this year.
    Gotta love that Moeller battery. Hopefully if the Reds take one of these guys it turns out more like Barry Larkin than Tyler Stovall.

Harper update:

31 G
    .431/.528/.931
    39 R
    13 2B
    1 3B
    12 HR
    35 RBI
    21 K/22 BB
    6 SB/ 2 CS
    Defensively, he only has 2 errors, but has only caught 3/18 attempted baserunners.

As a side note, his brother is 7-1 with a 1.78 ERA with 56 K/ 20 BB
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Senor Votto

Can Harper stay at Catcher when he goes pro?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate39 View Post
    Can Harper stay at Catcher when he goes pro?
    Tools wise, absolutely. He has a ways to go through skill wise. Of course, who doesn't at 17?

I have a question regarding the draft/labor agreements in MLB.

What are rules regarding free agency for amateurs. I know there have been guys who have refused to sign and gone the Indy ball route for a year. But what happens if a player refuses to sign with the drafting team? When would that player be allowed to become a free agent?

Also has there ever been any players who have tried to avoid the draft and sign with a team of their own choosing?

Ohio State outfielder Zach Hurley (Springboro) might be drafted by a major league team again this spring. If so, he has a preference.

“I would love for the Reds to draft me, and to play for Todd Benzinger again,” Hurley said, referring to the second-year manager of the Dayton Dragons, the Reds’ Class A affiliate.
    http://www.daytondailynews.com/dayto...ds-634192.html

I love watching him out there. He can go get it in the outfield and isn't too shabby with the bat either.

Current line is .389/.448/.674 on a team thats been struggling and hes been carrying them
    Last edited by 11larkin11; 04-03-2010 at 01:55 AM.

---TRF

--Bronson Arroyo

Quote Originally Posted by Orenda View Post

What are rules regarding free agency for amateurs. I know there have been guys who have refused to sign and gone the Indy ball route for a year. But what happens if a player refuses to sign with the drafting team? When would that player be allowed to become a free agent?

Also has there ever been any players who have tried to avoid the draft and sign with a team of their own choosing?
    Not sure of the answer to the 2nd part of your question, but the 1st part is that if they don't want to sign with a team, they have to sit out a year and play ball in other leagues. They can then reenter the draft the next year.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Orenda View Post

I think that you have to be drafted 5 times before becoming a free agent and having the ability to sign with any team you want. Matt Harrington learned that lesson the hard way. Turned down a huge deal the first time, and just kept getting lower and lower offers and wound up never becoming anything at all.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I think that you have to be drafted 5 times before becoming a free agent and having the ability to sign with any team you want. Matt Harrington learned that lesson the hard way. Turned down a huge deal the first time, and just kept getting lower and lower offers and wound up never becoming anything at all.
    Doesn't he sell tires now?
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Doesn't he sell tires now?
    Im pretty sure he's even lower than that on the totem pole.

He's the tire?

Dear Lord, look at this swing from Josh Sale

3 more HRs for Harper this weekend, up to 15 on the year. Currently slugging .891

---TRF

--Bronson Arroyo

Turn Off Ads?