Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Cholesterol-lowering medication: Yes or No?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Cholesterol-lowering medication: Yes or No?

My most-recent annual blood test showed that I have a total cholesterol level of 272, with triglycerides at 187 and HDL at 47. This is the third annual test in a row where my total cholesterol has been above 250.

Family members are insisting that I let the doctor put me on statin drugs (Lipitor, Crestor, etc), but I find some online opinions (and one given to me by a chiropractor friend) that counter that the meds do as much harm as good, and that the whole cholesterol fear-thing is propaganda from drug companies.

I am 6'1", 205, with 33" waist, and although I could stand to lose 20 pounds, my doctor says that probably won't do the trick for me. The only physical activity I get is occasional home maintenance and lawn work, but I've read that exercise alone, even if done right (8-12 miles walking per week is the baseline), will only reduce cholesterol by 10-20% or so, which won't be enough for me.

According the the doctor, my problem is genetic. So while the standard "diet and exercise" advice will help "some", it appears that drugs are the only way to reduce my cholesterol as much as it needs to be reduced.

I'm not sure what to do. I don't want to be on a medication every day for the rest of my life, but I don't want to have a heart attack, either.

Opinions?
    Last edited by macro; 08-22-2009 at 12:03 PM.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

Turn Off Ads?