Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Cholesterol-lowering medication: Yes or No?

Re: Cholesterol-lowering medication: Yes or No?

Quote Originally Posted by BoxingRed View Post
    It would be extremely unusual, I believe, for you not to have any symptoms over 15 months then develop problems with the statin, though I am very intrigued by Red75's situation.(Clearly he has trouble with statins) I don't think fatigue is a usual symptom. Myopathy is more common.
    Muscle fatigue is a symptom of statin-induced myopathy...

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by BoxingRed View Post
    Two points, the risk of severe myopathy is much greater when statins are taken with niacin.
    Delayed release niacin may be less effective and appear to be more hepatotoxic.
    The risk of severe myopathy is much greater with any type of combination therapy. It typically has more to do with the overall physical health of the patient, rather than just the drugs themselves. And extended release niacin is equally efficacious as regular Niacin. The study cited below illustrates the effectiveness of Extended release Niacin quite well.

I am no Zetia drug rep, but the study that I saw about Zetia didn't say it was ineffective, it said that the combo of Zetia and simvastatin (Vytorin) was no more effective than simvastatin alone.(And this was only one study). I'd appreciate a link to the journal article you have on the overall ineffectiveness of ezetimibe.
    You're not even talking about the same study. The study was Extended-Release Niacin vs. Ezetimibe. It was the ARBITER 6-HALTS study and appears in the New England Journal of Medicine.

Quote Originally Posted by Larkin Fan View Post
    The risk of severe myopathy is much greater with any type of combination therapy. It typically has more to do with the overall physical health of the patient, rather than just the drugs themselves. And extended release niacin is equally efficacious as regular Niacin. The study cited below illustrates the effectiveness of Extended release Niacin quite well.

You're not even talking about the same study. The study was Extended-Release Niacin vs. Ezetimibe. It was the ARBITER 6-HALTS study and appears in the New England Journal of Medicine. It has the attention of physicians.
    Maybe you have taken my comments too personally. My intention was to get the information you have with the purpose of learning, not arguing. You clearly have a bias against Zetia and that is perfectly fine by me. You seem to be most interested in cost savings and I am with you on that.

I'd be interested to read the article and would like to bring it to the attention of my professor who said extended-release was not as effective. Does the article mention anything about the potential hepatotoxicity of extended-release niacin?
    I'll get on Medline after exams and try to find the article.

So far I've had trouble with every statin I've taken, and I start to feel it first in the joints of my fingers. (Clarification, I've got arthritic issues and have both Bouchard's and Heberden's nodes) This continues to the point where my hands are very stiff and painful to the point of where I can't type, hardly move them, and it begins to impact my livelhood, etc... I've talked with my rheumatologist and my gp concerning it and they both just kind of go hmmmm.....

Was wondering if any of the vast resources here might have any insight?????????

I've been on Zetia about 3 days, and my hands feel very stiff this morning, (not a 10th as bad as when I was on Zocor) but we also have some major frontal activity in my area today so the jury is still out and I'll continue to monitor it as I continue to take it.
    In those things which we commit to practice we can master, and with mastery we have the freedom to use these skills whenever we desire, without this practice we are slaves to our inability.

Turn Off Ads?