Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reds Golf Score

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

Reds Golf Score

Reds are at a +1 (9-9 thru 2 holes)

11-11 thus far on the 3rd hole.

Need to win 3 in the next 5 to keep par.

The first hole was a double bogey (3-6).

On pace for a 84-78. Kind of subjective, but I say 90 wins is about par. So on pace for a +6.

I can change "par" to anything though so feel free to recommend a different number.

MLB Golf Scoring

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds Golf Score

Smith, I think Par being at about 90 makes the most sense. Not only is that what it takes to win the division, but it's a relatively stable goal for each 9 game stretch.

Good stuff. I always like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

It technically should be the wild card record but I hate moving goalposts.

I like 90 for par too. It just makes sense. 5-4 is par for a hole. You aren't thrilled with par, but it doesn't hurt you.

Par should be much lower. Par is a relational score, half the teams should be above it and half below it. 81 should be par. But I'd be ok with 84.
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

I would rather strive for 5-4 as a marker for how well your team is doing as it relates to playoff teams

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

90 was par when this was done previously. It's clean and works perfectly with the 18 hole concept.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    Smith, I think Par being at about 90 makes the most sense. Not only is that what it takes to win the division, but it's a relatively stable goal for each 9 game stretch.

Good stuff. I always like this.
    I prefer to count losses, so that makes par 72, which makes much more sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by TOBTTReds View Post
    I like 90 for par too. It just makes sense. 5-4 is par for a hole. You aren't thrilled with par, but it doesn't hurt you.
    Sometimes par is good enough.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Im freaking elated with par on the course... Im a Pittsburgh Pirate type of golfer...anything CLOSE to par is like heaven.

11. Likes:

Captain13 (07-02-2013)

Reds had a par last hole (#3) and maintained a +1.

Cards are at a -1
    Reds +1
    Astros +2
    Brewers +3
    Pirates +3
    sCrubs +4

Reds -1
    Pirates +2
    Cards +3
    Brewers +6
    'Stros +7
    sCrubs +11

Also, I have exciting news! I have submitted to the Apple AppStore an app that will give you a leaderboard of all the teams and their golf score as well as each team's performance. I have it slated as $1.99 (it's pretty niche) but here's some screenshots.

It's the Dodgers because they are currently leading the leaderboard and so it was easier to just show them in the screenies.

Last edited by smith288; 06-05-2012 at 09:57 AM.

Love it.

As you move forward, the hole by hole par could be tweaked due to matchups, pitchers, injuries, etc, and the 9 and 18 hole par determinations could also be determined by weak teams, home/ away schedule/ west coast swings, et al.

For example, IMO, the Reds have actually done better than -1 because they've played an extremely tough schedule so far. Last 18, they play 7 games against teams with a plus run differential and 11 games away from the cozy confines of Great American. They also faced the top starter of opposing teams five times. I'd guess that looks like a par score of 73, maybe 74.

The next 18-- with six road games and every home series against teams with a negative run differential-- should be a par 70 or even 69.

Just FTR Smith, your app says "Devil Rays". Other than that though, looks great!

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfan320 View Post
    Just FTR Smith, your app says "Devil Rays". Other than that though, looks great!

Yikes! Nice catch rf... Fixed!

Thanks!
    Last edited by smith288; 06-05-2012 at 11:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Love it.

As you move forward, the hole by hole par could be tweaked due to matchups, pitchers, injuries, etc, and the 9 and 18 hole par determinations could also be determined by weak teams, home/ away schedule/ west coast swings, et al.

For example, IMO, the Reds have actually done better than -1 because they've played an extremely tough schedule so far. Last 18, they play 7 games against teams with a plus run differential and 11 games away from the cozy confines of Great American. They also faced the top starter of opposing teams five times. I'd guess that looks like a par score of 73, maybe 74.

The next 18-- with six road games and every home series against teams with a negative run differential-- should be a par 70 or even 69.
    Holy moly Scrap... I wouldn't even know how to begin of such an algorithm. haha. It's a moving goalpost though and im not a huge fan of that. Some stuff could be subjective as the season progresses.

Thanks for the ideas though and I will think about how some of those things could be implemented.

Turn Off Ads?