Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: I was wrong about....

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Re: I was wrong about....

I really thought that Bob Castellini was going to be a great owner. I think that he wants to own a winner, but has no idea of how to go about doing so.
    sorry we're boring

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I know we've done this before, but with the current state of the team, I'm curious: What have you been wrong about with regards to the Reds?

Me, I'm never wrong, but I know the rest of you have been (except maybe Krono)

so:

I was wrong about....
    Easy one for me. Jay Bruce at this stage in his very young career.

Subject to change, Cmon Jay, stop paying attention to your hitting instructors and get back to what you were doing after you are well.

Oh yeah and Castellini, because "hope", hope will turn around and bite one almost everytime when it has nothing to back it up.

Hmmm, tough one here. I don't recall...ugh...oh got one.

I was wrong about Danny Herrera making it this far being this productive. I still don't think he has a long shelf life but he has done better this year than I suspected.

I was wrong about Harang having dropped off stuff wise. I saw his issues last year and hoped/figured it was just a health oriented issue (so I argued it that way, not wanting to believe it). I figured it would resolve itself with rest in the offseason. He's still better though than people make him out to be but he's definitely not the Harang of old.

I was wrong about Bruce having an MVP like season. After reading an article around late in spring training I believed he was gonna have one. He said everything correctly in that interview about what he needed to do to be succesful at the plate. The problem I didn't expect was him not following his own advice. He needs to learn to discipline his behavior at the plate and once that happens he'll be all we hoped for. I also didn't seeing him being such a good RF so soon during the offseason. He had a bad defensive year last season and although his arm was good I didn't see it as great but he has turned me around on both of those issues, his defense was both stellar and critical to the team this year. A healthy and disciplined Jay Bruce next year goes a real long way to being where we hoped we could be this year. A lot of guys are down on him right now but I haven't budged an iota (in fact I have gotten higher on him) he's gonna be spectacular better sign him long term right now.

Everything else I feel pretty good about in fact I am thinking of starting a thread where some can gloat about what they were right about, we need a feel good thread. But we all know how that would turn out. Maybe we should do it anyway.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

I was wrong about Jay Bruce being the team MVP.

But I was right about everything else. So that is a better winning percentage then this organization has ever seen!
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Oh I would add Burton to that mix as well but I'm just not ready to give up on him yet. I' hoping he bounces back, guys in the pen do have some strange years. Look at Brad Lidges last several years from Hero to Goat to world beater and back to goat again.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

I was wrong about the number of wins....I thought they would break .500 this year...

Of course, they played above .500 ball till the 4th of July, then fell off the cliff. As today's Baseball Prospectus Hit List says:
    Two-Sixty-Eight: That's the Reds' winning percentage since July 4, the last day they were over .500; they're 11-30 since then, and the nightmares just get worse thanks to Dusty Baker's push-button managing.
    Of course, besides blaming Dusty, there have been a lot of injuries this year, a disproportionate number.
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    I was wrong about Jay Bruce being the team MVP.

But I was right about everything else. So that is a better winning percentage then this organization has ever seen!
    Shoot all we have to do is go cynical or negative on most and we will have a high percentage of being right with this organization, and that stinks.
    I would like to think that none of us want to be right about the negatives.

Fess up GAC, you know you were wrong about Dusty, that he is actually a very fine manager.

I was wrong about this team being willing to do whatever it needs to win. That rests squarely on the shoulders of one Robert Castellini.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Edwin - he never clicked.
    Bruce - not the phenom I thought
    Alex Gonzalez - thought he would be half decent
    Dusty Baker - even worse than I feared.

and so many more.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Damn, this is cleansing.

I was wrong in thinking that Jay Bruce would have spent the off-season studying up on the hole in his swing and address it and take a leap this year.

Guess. Not.

I was wrong about Nick Masset, I thought he was a bum.

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

I was wrong about Herrera. I was worried about him early in the season when he had trouble getting guys out (I was at one of his early games and he didn't pitch well at all) but he's been about as close to nails as you can get for the majority of the season. I was also wrong about Lincoln who I thought would be really good for the bullpen this year. That one definitely turned out wrong. *smacks head*

On the other side though, I was totally right that Joey Votto would be a star this year. Go me, LOL
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

I was wrong about Brook Jacoby. I thought the time he spent with Rudy Jaramillo would have taught him something. I was dead wrong.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

I was wrong about Edwin Encarnacion and Micah Owings. I thought EdE would have a break out season and post an .875+ OPS. I also thought Micah Owings will have a solid season and develop into a middle of rotation starter. I was wrong.

Also, Nick Masset has pitched better than I thought he would.

Turn Off Ads?