Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: I was wrong about....

Re: I was wrong about....

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I'll go. If we are limiting it to this year I was wrong about the following:

1. Arthur Rhodes - I didn't think he'd be good in full inning stints and thought he was only a loogy. He's been great.

2. Alex Gonzalez - I figured he'd never play again and the SS spot would suck. Well he did play and the SS spot sucked.

3. Jared Burton - I thought he was ready for the 8th inning.

4. Danny Rae Herrera - I figured he'd be awful by Memorial day.

5. Jay Bruce - I didn't think he'd be an MVP candidate but did think he'd be a plus. He's alarmingly bad at the plate.

6. Ramon Hernadez - I thought his defense would be awful, but he was OK back there and great at 1B.

and finally,

7. Walt Jocketty - Until the Willy T signing, I thought he might have a clue. Seems he doesn't.
    My list mirrors yours, mth. Especially No. 5. Just more proof that minor league stats are not exactly what they seem. Jay may finally develop into a good, not spectacular outfielder at the plate, but I seriously doubt it now.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

2. Turn Off Ads?

I was wrong when asked which jersey I wanted for my birthday. Bruce for sure I said, shoulda gone Votto.

I was wrong for being optimistic again.

I was wrong when I put money on the reds win loss over in vegas of 76.

I was wrong when I thought we were positioning ourselves for a solid 2010.

I was wrong about Aaron Harang having a bounce back to 2007, Burton repeating '08 and EE building off the same.

I was wrong when I thought Danny Rey was a legal midget, but not by much.

I was wrong when I thought a manager could have much effect over the outcome of the game.

I was wrong when I said at least willy can bunt. He really didint look like one of the best bunters as tabbed.

I was wrong when I said C Dickerson would take over center by july. See two above.
    I was wrong when I said Dusty would be gone after this season. So far it appears that dusty is here for good. Yea
    I was wrong a lot this year.

Bruce is a washed up 23 year old, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    My list mirrors yours, mth. Especially No. 5. Just more proof that minor league stats are not exactly what they seem. Jay may finally develop into a good, not spectacular outfielder at the plate, but I seriously doubt it now.
    He's 22 years old. 22. I'm stunned at how many people are giving up on him at age 22. Wow.

I was wrong to think my love of the Reds could make me think of them the same way I do the Bengals.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    He's 22 years old. 22. I'm stunned at how many people are giving up on him at age 22. Wow.
    Agreed. I'm as hopeless about the future of this franchise as anyone, but I don't doubt the fact that Jay Bruce can still turn into a great player.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Not giving up on him at all. Just saying that many things might have led to his struggles--he came up too soon is one of them and another is lack of instruction (my pet peeve). He's a smart young man, but learning on your own is tough. Then again, I may be totally wrong on this. Maybe he is getting the instruction and isn't responding. Like you, I hope it's youth, but we all thought Edwin was going to be really something and were disappointed.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    Not giving up on him at all. Just saying that many things might have led to his struggles--he came up too soon is one of them and another is lack of instruction (my pet peeve). He's a smart young man, but learning on your own is tough. Then again, I may be totally wrong on this. Maybe he is getting the instruction and isn't responding.
    Maybe it's just difficult playing major league baseball?

Like you, I hope it's youth, but we all thought Edwin was going to be really something and were disappointed.
    We all did and were?

I thought Dusty couldn't manage the Reds to less wins than they were capable of...

I thought Castelini and Jockety would have more control over who Dusty played when...

I thought Castelini was smart enough to understand how to build a team and not think he could win with what was already there...

I thought Dickerson would get a chance to show how he could perform if he played daily...

I didn't think Willy would have the worst season batting leadoff in major league history...of course no other manager in history would have allowed it to happen...

In 1990, the Reds won their 3rd WS title during my 17 years of existence on the planet.

I joined the grownup world thinking that post-season baseball was supposed to include the Reds on at least a semi-regular basis.

They have been to the post-season once in the subsequent 18 (soon to be 19) seasons.

For a week or two early on I was thinking my forecast of epic fail might have been off-the-mark.

Turns out, I was wrong about that.
    Last edited by Ltlabner; 08-24-2009 at 03:22 PM.

...predicting the Reds would win 92 games.

:all_cohol
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    For a week or two early on I was thinking my forecast of epic fail might have been off-the-mark.

Turns out, I was wrong about that.
    Has the failure really been epic? Or has it just been standard, run-of-the-mill Reds failure?

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    Has the failure really been epic? Or has it just been standard, run-of-the-mill Reds failure?
    No, I think a strong case could be made for the epicocity of the fail in question.

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    No, I think a strong case could be made for the epicocity of the fail in question.
    Great word.

Turn Off Ads?