Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Some Az Fall League info Showing up

Some Az Fall League info Showing up

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/events/winterleagues/?league=afl

Reds will be on Peoria Saguaros. David Bell will manage. Leake is expected to play. The Hawaiian League move to Arizona fizzled so teams can have one more A baller.

And the Schedule is out. One of the Saguaros games will be at the new Spring Training facility.
    Last edited by JaxRed; 08-23-2009 at 10:10 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Re: Some Az Fall League info Showing up

From John Fay regarding the AFL.....

From the Reds (Walt Jocketty talked about trying to get Mike Leake a spot. I'll check on that):

The Peoria Saguaros club will include manager David Bell and Reds farmhands RHP Logan Ondrusek, LHP Phillippe Valiquette, RHP Sean Watson, IF Yonder Alonso, IF Zack Cozart and OF Chris Heisey.
    I hope they can get Leake in there too.
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Im sure they will get Leake in there.

I don't think it's all that important to have Leake there. He had a very long season at ASU and threw a ton. He'd compete hard in the AFL, trying to prove himself against tough competition, leading to a healthy helping of tough innings. I'd send him to instrux instead and make sure he's strong and well rested for 2010.

But, to play Devil's Advocate here, if Leake pitches well, you could make the argument he'd then be ready for AA next season. This, in turn, would cut a year or so off his development curve, meaning he could be ready as early as the beginning of 2011.

As to the others, I suppose it's obvious Ondrusek will be protected this winter in the Rule V draft. (As he should.) Suprising, though, that Valiquette would be, too. It's put-up-or-shut-up time for all in that list, IMO. Do well and you're in the plans for 2010; do poorly and... Well, just do well.

But, to play Devil's Advocate here, if Leake pitches well, you could make the argument he'd then be ready for AA next season. This, in turn, would cut a year or so off his development curve, meaning he could be ready as early as the beginning of 2011.
    I prefer to see relievers in the AFL. I'd only put a starter there if he'd missed significant time during the year. That's not the case with Leake.You hear talk about how guys are tired in the AFL. I see no reason to subject a young starter to that. The season out there is what, 2 months? I don't think the Reds' window to be competitive demands Leake's progress be accelerated by 2 months. This is a little guy who has had a long college season which ended with a bout of tendinitis. The team should err on the side of caution here, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    I prefer to see relievers in the AFL. I'd only put a starter there if he'd missed significant time during the year. That's not the case with Leake.You hear talk about how guys are tired in the AFL. I see no reason to subject a young starter to that. The season out there is what, 2 months? I don't think the Reds' window to be competitive demands Leake's progress be accelerated by 2 months. This is a little guy who has had a long college season which ended with a bout of tendinitis. The team should err on the side of caution here, IMO.
    Disagree.

Strasburg is playing in the AFL. I think Leake should be as well. He had almost three months off. There's no reason why he can't pitch in the AFL, and assuming he does well, begin next year in Carolina.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Disagree.

Strasburg is playing in the AFL. I think Leake should be as well. He had almost three months off. There's no reason why he can't pitch in the AFL, and assuming he does well, begin next year in Carolina.
    Marc Katz thumbs his nose at you.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    Marc Katz thumbs his nose at you.
    Step one
    Open word file
    Step two
    replace names and dates
    Step three
    Submit to editor.

Disagree.

Strasburg did not pitch in the College World Series. Strasburg did not finish the season with tendinitis.

I'm promoting caution. That's all. Lots of invective about Volquez and Cueto pitching in the offseason -- this is quite similar. He's coming off a long season in which he was hurt at the end. He's a little guy. Why rush the kid?

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Strasburg did not pitch in the College World Series. Strasburg did not finish the season with tendinitis.

I'm promoting caution. That's all. Lots of invective about Volquez and Cueto pitching in the offseason -- this is quite similar. He's coming off a long season in which he was hurt at the end. He's a little guy. Why rush the kid?
    Agreed. Given the curse that is 2009, I wouldn't even let him play catch until spring.

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    Step one
    Open word file
    Step two
    replace names and dates
    Step three
    Submit to editor.
    This was good for nearly losing my drink. Thanks!

"No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

From Fay:

--The Reds are trying to get top pick Mike Leake into the Arizona Fall League. The rosters were set before he was signed.

“We’ve got to get approval,” Jocketty said. "We wanted to see where he was as far as pitching after the layoff. Our people think he's good to pitch out there."

Jocketty expects that the Reds will get it.

Doug, that supports our (super secret) theory.....

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Doug, that supports our (super secret) theory.....
    That it would.

Turn Off Ads?