Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I was wrong about...(minor league edition)

Re: I was wrong about...(minor league edition)

I would. Same with Ramirez and Maloney, assuming he struggles again in this stint of starting pitching at the major league level.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    I thought Sam Lecure would do better than he has. I still think there is more there than he has been able to show.
    LeCure did quite well. What he hasn't done is come back from his injury in July to be the same pitcher as before the injury. Let him rest and see next year.

Quote Originally Posted by sh0619 View Post
    Henry has been battling an injury all season.
    That's good to hear. I can expect to get out of him and a little more next season what I thought he'd do this season.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Matt Klinker. I wasn't sure he would translate as well as he has in the upper minors. After watching him this year though, I think an argument could be made that he is the 4th best pitching prospect in the system behind Leake/Wood/Boxberger.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Matt Klinker. I wasn't sure he would translate as well as he has in the upper minors. After watching him this year though, I think an argument could be made that he is the 4th best pitching prospect in the system behind Leake/Wood/Boxberger.
    That hurts to not see Stewart slotted in there.

Resident PED Expert

He has a very good K / BB rate this year. 112 K's in 109 innings against only 34 walks... Has been very consistant with his GB / FB rate at all 3 stops this year 1.13 in A+ and AA and a little better 1.24 in AAA. Only 9 HR in 109 innings and none in 5 starts in AAA. Has a .205 BA against in 9 starts in AA and AAA...

Seems like a very, very, solid pitcher...

What type of stuff does he have? Is he a hard thrower or a good pitcher?

Quote Originally Posted by nemesis View Post
    He has a very good K / BB rate this year. 112 K's in 109 innings against only 34 walks... Has been very consistant with his GB / FB rate at all 3 stops this year 1.13 in A+ and AA and a little better 1.24 in AAA. Only 9 HR in 109 innings and none in 5 starts in AAA. Has a .205 BA against in 9 starts in AA and AAA...

Seems like a very, very, solid pitcher...

What type of stuff does he have? Is he a hard thrower or a good pitcher?
    His fastball is 90-92. Hits 93 and 94. Great curveball. Average change up. Can throw strikes. Relies on his curve a lot as a strikeout pitch, but like I said, its pretty darn good.

Yes, once he got his feet under him in AAA he has been very, very good. He throws his fastball for strikes and it is hard enough to keep the batters out of sync knowing that offspeed stuff might be coming. If they sit on his curve, it might be trouble but I haven't seen anyone do it yet.

Resident PED Expert

His fastball is 90-92. Hits 93 and 94. Great curveball. Average change up. Can throw strikes. Relies on his curve a lot as a strikeout pitch, but like I said, its pretty darn good.
    Sounds alot like Leake...

Does he project as a 4/5 starter, a bullpen guy or someone they can fluff a deal up with?

Quote Originally Posted by nemesis View Post
    Sounds alot like Leake...

Does he project as a 4/5 starter, a bullpen guy or someone they can fluff a deal up with?
    I would say his upside is that of a #3 guy.

Like a majority of RZers, I tend to rely on statistics. Over the years, I have learned the limitations in doing this.

Some players regress after a promotion then figure the league out. I see this as a positive. Buchholz and Valaika are showing late improvement that bodes well for next year. Alonso took some time to figure out A+, then he took off. At the moment, I think Stubbs is going through this at the ML level. He is unable to draw the number of walks he did from AAA pitchers. Catchers don't seem to progress offensively as quickly as others because the position is physically demanding and difficult to learn.

On the other hand, some players mash at lower levels, then stagnate. My sense is they are unable to make changes in their game needed to counter better pitchers. Batters may have to shorten their stroke, learn to recognize pitchers sooner, and plug the holes in their strike zones. Pitchers may need to add a pitch, refine their control, set up the batters.

All of these things take time and the course of progress is neither uniform nor predictable.

Turn Off Ads?