Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Rockies beat Giants in 14 with Grand Slam

Rockies beat Giants in 14 with Grand Slam

Giants went up by 2 in top of 14th, then in the bottom Spillborghs hits a Grand Slam. He circled the bases at a speed that made Rosales look like Rickey Henderson's home run trot. I wish Reds games were this entertaining.
    Last edited by 919191; 08-25-2009 at 01:48 AM.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Rockies beat Giants in 14 with Grand Slam

Giants actually went up 3 in the top of the 14th.

The Rockies have won me as a fan the last few years. They are the most exciting team in baseball and the complete - in almost every way - opposite of the Reds on the field.

And Coors Field is an amazing place to watch a game.

Its nice having Coors field in your back yard.

And the Rockies are a pretty good team..

But they were also plenty bad for a good while. I mean reds level bad. So bad in fact, one year I decided not to renew my season tickets I'd had since 1993.

If there was ever another team I ever really cared about in MLB its the Rockies. Not having baseball here until I was a young man in my home state, really had an impact on me growing up. I love the reds, and they always come first, but I have a soft spot for the rox for sure.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

They're my 2 favorite teams as well. No exaggeration, the Rox have 5 outfielders who are better than all of the Reds outfielders except Gomes, who Baker rarely plays.

As I type this, the Rox win another walk off game.
    How, then, are those people of the future—who are taking steroids every day—going to look back on baseball players who used steroids? They're going to look back on them as pioneers. They're going to look back at it and say "So what?" - Bill James, Cooperstown and the 'Roids

Wonder what John Kruk is thinking now? Earlier this year, when the Rockies won something like 17 of 18 games, he said that it was a nice little run, but that was all it was and they wouldn't factor in the NL wildcard race. The NL wildcard, he said, would go to whoever didn't win the East between the Phillies and Mets.

And just last night on SportsCenter, the ESPiN announcer said he thought the Rockies might be peaking too soon. Odd, you never hear about the Yankees or Red Sox "peaking too soon."

Quote Originally Posted by Reds/Flyers Fan View Post
    Wonder what John Kruk is thinking now?
    "Is it time for lunch?"
    "Bring on Rod Stupid!"

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reds/Flyers Fan View Post
    Wonder what John Kruk is thinking now? Earlier this year, when the Rockies won something like 17 of 18 games, he said that it was a nice little run, but that was all it was and they wouldn't factor in the NL wildcard race. The NL wildcard, he said, would go to whoever didn't win the East between the Phillies and Mets.

And just last night on SportsCenter, the ESPiN announcer said he thought the Rockies might be peaking too soon. Odd, you never hear about the Yankees or Red Sox "peaking too soon."
    Good call on Kruk, but there is something to be said for the fact that there's five weeks or so of baseball left and the Rox only have a 4 game lead. The one thing the Rockies don't have is starting pitching depth. If the Aaron Cook injury lingers, Josh Fogg will turn into a pumpkin and hurt them.
    How, then, are those people of the future—who are taking steroids every day—going to look back on baseball players who used steroids? They're going to look back on them as pioneers. They're going to look back at it and say "So what?" - Bill James, Cooperstown and the 'Roids

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    Good call on Kruk, but there is something to be said for the fact that there's five weeks or so of baseball left and the Rox only have a 4 game lead. The one thing the Rockies don't have is starting pitching depth. If the Aaron Cook injury lingers, Josh Fogg will turn into a pumpkin and hurt them.
    Jiminez and De La Rosa sure are pitching well right now, though. And Jason Marquis is doing much better than I anticipated. He's keeping the ball low, keeping himself out of trouble.

That team is a solid club. You're right, they might not have much margin for error with their staff, but it's getting it done.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Turn Off Ads?