Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Janish for shortstop?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Janish for shortstop?

He has to hit eighth in the order, the Reds would have to make some other offensive upgrades. Maybe a catcher to go with Hanigan and hit seventh. And a LF. And use the correct players in CF to maximize offense there.

But there's something to be said for keeping Janish as the main shortstop. Perhaps until Cozart is ready. Cozart seems like a similar fielder who may hit more.

With Phillips, Janish, and Rolen, the infield defense is much, much improved. I thought Janish was a bit shaky last year but in 2009 he's been excellent at short IMO. Pretty good range, very surehanded, throws are true.

One way to go is to keep Janish at short and to spend whatever money is available on the outfield. And maybe a pitcher or two to shore up the staff.

Re: Janish for shortstop?

Who's going to be the manager that bats him 8th?

I'm assuming someone other than Dusty.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    He has to hit eighth in the order, the Reds would have to make some other offensive upgrades. Maybe a catcher to go with Hanigan and hit seventh. And a LF. And use the correct players in CF to maximize offense there.

But there's something to be said for keeping Janish as the main shortstop. Perhaps until Cozart is ready. Cozart seems like a similar fielder who may hit more.

With Phillips, Janish, and Rolen, the infield defense is much, much improved. I thought Janish was a bit shaky last year but in 2009 he's been excellent at short IMO. Pretty good range, very surehanded, throws are true.

One way to go is to keep Janish at short and to spend whatever money is available on the outfield. And maybe a pitcher or two to shore up the staff.
    I would agree if not for one problem. The rest of the lineup has to be highly upgraded. Otherwise, we'll have 6 light hitters in the lineup. We've seen what that does to a team: over-burdoned pitching that tries to be too fine because no run support is expected.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

The way you lay it out KC, it's an option. But his stick is flat out one of the weakest in recent Reds history. He just looks defeated up there as he swings the bat, rarely getting a good cut.

I know he hit the weights hard last offseason....but he'd need to really get after it this next year to be anywhere near legitimate as a major leaguer.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post

I like it exactly as you have written it up. The steps you are speaking to, and Janish ss, if he continues to get consistent playing time, he might even hit better with more AB/PA, I mean adequately.

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

I want the Reds to aim higher than Paul Janish.
    Stick to your guns.

The problem is they aren't going to get any other significant offensive upgrades and the manager won't bat him 8th.

Nice kid. Wouldn't mind having him around. But as CC pointed out I'd rather they aim higher. Going with Janish, without even trying Phillips or looking at other outside options would be a "deckchairs" sort of move.

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    The problem is they aren't going to get any other significant offensive upgrades and the manager won't bat him 8th.

Nice kid. Wouldn't mind having him around. But as CC pointed out I'd rather they aim higher. Going with Janish, without even trying Phillips or looking at other outside options would be a "deckchairs" sort of move.
    It's not even that. It's a "screw it, we're sinking anyway" sort of move.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Need to see more.

If there's one position you go light on offense in order to play a plus defender, it's SS (oh, catcher too).

Last night was a real good night for him, offensively and defensively. A few more games like that and I may feel like he's a legit option for 2010.

He would have to bat 8th (or even 9th?) and there would have to be a significant upgrade offensively in LF. I am less than clear that either of those things is going to happen.
    Last edited by membengal; 08-26-2009 at 08:21 AM.

He's Juan Castro if Castro could actually field. That has a place in the NL. But only as a backup.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    He would have to bat 8th (or even 9th?) and significantly upgrade offensively in LF. I am less than clear that either of those things is going to happen.

Nix and Gomes have combined for an .804 OPS this year, along with 27 HR's. That's based on 465 AB's so far, about what a regular would have.

To significantly upgrade that production would require quite an investment.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Nix and Gomes have combined for an .804 OPS this year, along with 27 HR's. That's based on 465 AB's so far, about what a regular would have.

yes. it would. That's why I said was less than confident the required upgrade in LF to carry a Janish would happen.

Janish is a utility infielder at best. If the Reds start any season with him starting at any position, then they have already given up on the season. The Reds have to come up with a better plan than that (Brignac, Wood, somebody that can actually make some contact).

Bum

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post

Maybe we could trade for the best hitting outfielder in all of baseball.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Turn Off Ads?