Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Plaxico punishment too harsh?

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Re: Plaxico punishment too harsh?

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    The mayor and the prosecutor didnt hand down the punishment.
    A judge in NYC won't take into consideration anything that comes out of the Mayor's mouth?

.... c'mon...

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    A judge in NYC won't take into consideration anything that comes out of the Mayor's mouth?

.... c'mon...
    Did I say that?

Plax's goose was cooked the second Bloomberg opened his yap about "Plax will serve jail time"
    Plax's goose was cooked when he brought a loaded fire arm into a bar. I don't know if it is federal or not, but you aren't allowed to possess a fire arm in a location that sells alcohol.

I for one don't want a guy walking the streets who brings a loaded fire arm, with its safety off, into a crowded night club and shoots himself in the leg.

Typically I think punishment should be inline with intent. Plax made a mistake and should certainly have to pay for that in some way, but his intent was obviously not to discharge a gun in a crowded bar. I do believe that 2 years is a little much for this particular incident.

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    The mayor and the prosecutor didnt hand down the punishment.
    To clarify, here's one of Bloomberg's quotes from a press conference that he held after the incident. (He wouldn't have held a press conference if some average Joe accidentally shot himself in the leg.)

“I think it would be an outrage if we didn’t prosecute to the fullest extent of the law, particularly people who live in the public domain, make their living because of their visibility. They are the role models for our kids.”
    Did that have an effect on how the prosecuter approached this case? I don't know, but it was irresponsible for the Mayor to make that comment before the case.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Typically I think punishment should be inline with intent.
    Thats a pretty open ended statement.

I'll have to check it out tonight at the hotel for the specifics of this case but firearms laws are mostly state issues and as such laws differ by state. The is no current Federal prohbition about a firearm in a bar.

For example, with a concealed carry permit in Ohio you can not step foot in any business that has a liscenece to dispence alchahol. In Kentucky you can go to a resturant that serves but not sit at the bar. In Indiana you can sit at the bar but not consume booze.

Just going from memory Plaxico would have issues with carrying a concealed weapon without a permit (or one that NY recognies), carrying in a licquer establishment if NY prohibits that (Id assume they do) along with discharging a weapon, public endagerment etc. What they actually charged him with I don't know.

But the issue is far more serrious than just having a non permitted firearm.

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    Then again, Donte Stallworth killed someone and only got 30 days. Absolutely sickening.
    He got 30 days for a first offense DUI. All indications are he could have hit and killed the person if he was stone cold sober.

Can we stop acting like Donte Stallworth lined up a person through a scope and pulled the trigger?

IT WAS AN ACCIDENT.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    He got 30 days for a first offense DUI. All indications are he could have hit and killed the person if he was stone cold sober.

Can we stop acting like Donte Stallworth lined up a person through a scope and pulled the trigger?

IT WAS AN ACCIDENT.
    He would have received a much longer jail sentence had he not worked out a financial settlement with the defendant's family.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post

IT WAS AN ACCIDENT.
    Plaxico made a mistake and didn't kill anyone.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Plax's goose was cooked when he brought a loaded fire arm into a bar. I don't know if it is federal or not, but you aren't allowed to possess a fire arm in a location that sells alcohol.

I for one don't want a guy walking the streets who brings a loaded fire arm, with its safety off, into a crowded night club and shoots himself in the leg.
    The guy made a mistake, plain and simple.

He should have had a holster. He should have had the saftey on (although IIRC, Plax's gun lacked a safety).

Hell, he probably shouldn't have had it on him in the first place. But he did. He shot himself. And now he's going to spend almost 2 years in jail for making a stupid mistake that only harmed himself.

The guy made a mistake, plain and simple.

He should have had a holster. He should have had the saftey on (although IIRC, Plax's gun lacked a safety).

Hell, he probably shouldn't have had it on him in the first place. But he did. He shot himself. And now he's going to spend almost 2 years in jail for making a stupid mistake that only harmed himself.

Then next time he will know better not to bring a gun to a club.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    And I'm sure celebrities and their respective entourages will also consider the accessories they bring to the club in the near future, no?

I'm sure Bloomberg will definitely be happy if he can use Plax as an example of what not to do in NYC.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    And so, maybe, will the next guy.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

And I'm sure celebrities and their respective entourages will also consider the accessories they bring to the club in the near future, no?
    I would hope so. Why in the world do they need to bring guns to these clubs in the first place?

I wonder if Plaxico would have been treated so harshly if this had happened a year earlier or even 6 months earlier? When the Giants were the toast of the town and Plaxico wasn't such a bad actor then.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?